Gameplay Fetishes

Enemies going agro on other enemies in Quake when they hit each other while trying to hit me.

5 Likes

you’ll be delighted to know that there’s a subgenre of Doom WADs that relies on this mechanic to beat the level

5 Likes

radial menus

4 Likes

I think for me it is knocking enemies off cliffs and into bottomless pits

3 Likes

hitstop on multi-hit attacks

5 Likes

Unexpectedly being able to swim in a game that conditions you to avoid falling into liquids previously (i.e., it turns out plain water is just fine).

5 Likes

I’m fighting with our art director over this right now, I need to convince him that it’s not just not bad but is actually sending shivers down my spine

the little joyful Elaine seizure dance I do every time we review it may be my best argument

4 Likes

hitstop should be in everything. everything.

4 Likes

It’s been interesting to break down God of War, probably the current best in single-player 3D. They don’t use it in the last hit in his axe chain – the hit where his axe launches them back and they seem to be conveying that nothing can stop his movement, unlike the earlier hits where it conveys friction and a force opposing your arms.

Interestingly they don’t do sophisticated camera shake, like pushing the camera in the direction of the hit. Instead they’re happy with a simple up/rebound.

And it’s all very different from fighting game hit pause, which is longer (>200ms as opposed to always 100ms) and does stuff like wiggle characters up and down).

3 Likes

pressure sensitive button inputs.

2 Likes

aaaaa oh no what a turn-off for me

2 Likes

I remember thinking that Nintendo was being backwards and cheap when their answer to the analog button trend was a two-stage tactile button on the GC shoulder buttons. But now I look back and realize that analog buttons suck, because they ask you to make fine motor decisions with almost no feedback. And Nintendo was solving both those problems by just making it a binary choice with clear feedback. Plus it was cheap.

On the Superman 64 ep of How Did This Get Played, @faithless talked about a Superman game with analog buttons to represent how Superman is often pulling his punches. I think analog buttons are the wrong choice for this (see above), but I would love a Streetdighter three button system, but with, like, 5 buttons. It should be genuinely confusing and sort of nerve-racking to choose how much force ro use to punch a criminal or pick up a car to represent the anxiety that Superman probably feels. That is my art game.

Street Fighter was an analog button game.

3 Likes

Omg, I’m using the series name synecdochally. And I believe that cabinet was produced with the three button system after they were all busted.

1 Like

you are not wrong it is just fun to think about

A couple seconds of googling (need to get going) tells me they call them “hybrid analog”, which I think is a fancy name for the physical two stage switches. I could be wrong though–feel free to look it up!

1 Like

Gamecube controllers had an analog slider built in, in addition to the traditional button at the bottom of the travel.

2 Likes

i’m replaying Dragon’s Dogma and that game has the most delicious hitstop on large weapon attacks.

In fact DD is basically a disorganized list of game mechanics that are utterly my shit:

-get to design, name and dress up 2 (!) whole characters in a character engine that allows for a surprising diversity of body types (i’m currently playing as a super nimble dagger-wielding fat lady and it fuckin rules)
-absurdly fast running speed
-open world that mostly beef gates content
-day/night system where being caught out at night actually feels exciting and scary
-monsters you can grapple, throw and climb around on
-simulated perishable food
-items and elements with interacting effects (eg. toss oil on a monster and then light then on fire; toss water on them and cast lightning or ice for added damage)
-robust, but also highly forgiving and non-minmaxy job system
-most jobs have a ground dash attack and the mystic knight even has an air dash!
-job explicitly called “mystic knight”
-warp system with customizable waypoints
-DRAGONS

9 Likes

I’ve put a lot of hours into DD, but I have yet to enter the beef gate: the path of neil