FUCK YEAH DRAGON QUEST (Part 1)

DQ’s have been steadily adding fun little postgames so while you can technically consider it beaten after Act 2, the fact that what’s basically a bonus round has as much content as it does is really cool. That being said, hearing before hand that it’s just the last third of the game would have kind of diminished it for me. It’s more fun as an impressive surprise than the true final act.

4 Likes

I understand. I am feeling particularly disappointed because the end of act 2 was quite rushed, to me. You kill the final boss and everything happens super quickly (ending, etc), and I was already expecting an “act 3” , so i was looking for it… Also, because many plot points were kept willingly open, so it cannot really be considered a post game bonus part.
Also, I disliked strongly the plot excuse for act 3 taking place. … How can i use the spoiler function? I cannot write it otherwise :grinning:
As to the supposed non-linearity… I don’t know, but, while it could be exchanged for non-linear, it is more like “go to every place and do quests” without a real development. It looks more like homework, and many of these quests are “shadows” of others already done.
I have dropped the Super Strong Monsters draconian option, just hoping to push forward things more quickly.
Personally, I am also feeling disappointed by the enemy design in Act 3, because they are cheaply revamped, with just a tiny graphical change.

my cultural analogy for dq post games is ramen, when u order the kaedama (extra noodles)

levelling up to 99 is the leftover broth, and the extra noodles are the plot. u dont really need the noodles themselves, and may not even really enjoy them, but otherwise… how are u supposed to finish that broth…

10 Likes

You made me decide to have ramen for luch.

i waited 14 years for a hd dragon quest you fuckin’ bet i was motivated to play the whole thing

Asked Twitter if I should play some more DQ4 or DQ7 tonight. It was unanimous for DQ4 and honestly I’m pretty shocked?

1 Like

mantleplace is a bad dungeon and I fucking hate how imprecise pushing fucking blocks around feels in dq5

1 Like

I BEAT DRAGON QUEST V!!!

oh my GOD this boss fight gave me heart palpitations because i got distracted and didn’t take my full mp restore items out of my bag. i didnt REALIZE this until HALFWAY THRU THE FINAL FINAL BOSS FIGHT!!! my survival basically hinged on him not dispelling everyones protections over and over again. i was fucking SWEATING and desperately trying to conserve mp and everybody in my party died at least once but i made it by the skin of my teeth. a real draque story

15 Likes

It’s pretty neat how Dragon Quest VII turns random encounters off in puzzle rooms so you can focus on the puzzle.

4 Likes

I let the kids play Dragon Quest I Remaster on the SNES (I need a good shorthand for this) and they found Star Chimeras and got wiped twice to the tune of 6000G lost overall. Ah well, easy come, easy go.

(To my credit, I just sat calmly and let it happen.)

9 Likes

I am hopelessly addicted to Dragon Quest Builder 2 like FUCK

I think I may never have played a game so psychologically captivating, like I’ll be trying to do something productive at home and it calls to me like a dang siren and oops now I’m playing it for the third time today.

I didn’t play the first one cuz I was too broke at the time but a friend heard I was a big DQ fan and lent me her cartridge for this one and just, is this what gameing addiction feels like. I love all DQ games but I’ve never been forcefully compelled to play one :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m forcing myself to work on the Isle of Awakening (finished the first arc) even tho the fact that the game gives you NO guidelines or restrictions for town layout makes it very very very difficult bc I have severe decision making anxiety. It feels good to push through that and decide no like, the kitchen is going HERE, motherFUCKER

im love this game

7 Likes

Forcing myself to actually redirect the river to irrigate my sugar cane even tho I absolutely do not have to feels great.

DQB2 is such a good game. I want to go back and work more on my sprawling metropolis at some point. It is easily my most played Switch game.

show me ur builds

good name at least

5 Likes
1 Like

I had been avoiding this thread but now I am avoiding bed by reading it.

Don’t worry about the length of DQVII I played it over 3 years.

“The quality of the masks my mom made is so legit”

4 Likes