FUCK YEAH DRAGON QUEST (Part 1)

You can set it so that it should only download the update when you start the game (although steam is very futzy about this and will sometimes start DLing it anyways) and then just keep playing in offline mode, or you can go in and directly edit a steam file so that Steam thinks it updated the game and stops trying to.

I could walk you through the latter (and by that I mean find the same walkthrough I used for it) if need be.

No, I can look that up myself, itā€™s cool. Thanks for the info. I started steam and all my updates (including DQ11) were unqueued for some reason?? So I guess Iā€™m good for now

yeah there was a brief cutscene for it when you left town

Sometimes Steam will queue updates to occur when it thinks youā€™ll have your computer on but not be using it (early morning hours, generally); Iā€™ve never seen a setting for this.

Note that the Steam forum page for the DQXI music mod currently links to a replacement .exe that seems to simply roll back the patch. Iā€™m using it and it didnā€™t break the SpecialK HDR mod (have I mentioned how absurdly good the hyper-saturated art style looks in HDR?)

1 Like

ok i just finished this

so ambitious and beautiful

i feel like a hallmark of Big JRPGs is that they always have a scope that is too huge for them to sustain and somewhere around the halfway point (at best) they have to just start flailing around to try to keep things together until the end; dragon quest xiā€™s scope is much huger than that of any other rpg that comes to mind and it follows through confidently and satisfyingly right to its conclusion, it is remarkable

i might just be in a susceptible frame of mind but i thought the ending was pretty much breathtaking

hard mode was basically exactly what i wanted, almost too good to be true

wow lord this is the highest playtime iā€™ve ever had

anyway yeah FUCK YEAH DRAGON QUEST

9 Likes

I have a similar post welling up in me because I just finished reuniting my party and the moment they built to through breadth and subtlety and easy presence was more affecting than any game outside of Mother 3. I have a lot to tease out with how the characters and world are drawn down enough that I grow to love them, rather than immediately latching onto style or affect, and how much better this works.

In short, Iā€™ve grown accustomed to its faceā€¦

1 Like

god dammit is it that good

1 Like

Yes but it may be too far in for you. @u_uā€™s take is very good, too: so many of the bits are short stories of middling inspiration told with masterful direction (and misdirection). Iā€™m continually astonished by how deft the RPG-banal town stories are handled, but Iā€™m almost never astounded by verve.

Hard mode has maintained interest in fights better than any other JRPG (it feels closer in tension to good isometric Western RPG battles), but at the cost it seems of doubling playtime!

But that moment, god. I was crying for half an hour and no one else but the Mother team could have pulled that off even with all those pieces.

Felix that happened at hour 96 on the clock

yeah iā€™d finished everything in about 70 hours on normal

itā€™s pretty much everything i wanted in a hd 2010s dragon quest, my only gripe is that iā€™d finished before the orchestral mod came out (and i donā€™t know how much of a pain that is to get running post-patch)

this praise is too high for me to ignore and I probably played witcher 3 for close to that long but Iā€™m really not sure where I stand on this difficult monsters business still, I am not a man who grinds

The game is definitely very good, though from my perspective in the middle of season 2 (just returned to Dundrasil, probably about to get Jade), I just went through an incredibly drawn out backstory segment that was a total cookie cutter collection of fantasy tropes that took a frustrating, boring hour to get through. It was definitely the low point of the game for me. I gotta admit I liked fighting a goofy purple depression lion though. I feel no emotional connection to the characters right now aside from maybe Sylvando. I like them all, but right now I canā€™t imagine ever crying about them. I guess weā€™ll see where it goes from here.

yeah iā€™m pretty certain youā€™d want to play this on normal
i didnā€™t grind at all until the postgame (where getting to 99 is very quick and easy) and found that some of the bosses were nicely challenging but nothing like the stuff earlier in the thread about the act 2 boss taking 90 minutes to beat or whatever

A lot of pep-syncing in here today, Iā€™m about to finish/Platinum this ~130 hrs. Probably idled for 15 of those. I actually liked that part @OneSecondBefore I thought the Luminary/Dundrasil/world needed that fleshing out

The second half is a lot more engrossing than the first, on normal any later game ease was a result of getting my crew jacked from quests/rewards. After the ending onto clean up, well except for the bestiary and crafting every single thing, hell naw

Waiting till true ~fin to see if I can gush about DQXI being that majestic as I have mixed feelings on where it holds to traditional tedium then pours at your convenience.

@Felix, I will say that you donā€™t have to worry about grinding. Iā€™m more than halfway through the game and Iā€™ve never needed to grind once. Iā€™m playing on normal, and I only fight regular enemies when I feel like it. Generally I fight each new enemy I see once, just to see their battle animations. Even though Iā€™m hardly fighting at all, when I get to boss battles they seem perfectly balanced to be tense, challenging, but very doable fights.

that makes it sound too easy :frowning:ļø

I appreciate it because I donā€™t really want to get into a bunch of random battles. The only fights I particularly care about are boss fights, and I appreciate that those are the only fights I really have to do.

yeah i mean ā€˜i donā€™t want to grind, i donā€™t want the game to be too easyā€™ at first seems like a contradiction but ā€¦ isnā€™t it actually a problem that solves itself?

normally yes but I keep getting faint hints that itā€™s way too easy on normal and if Iā€™m gonna play a videogame I want to play a videogame

if Iā€™m playing a game with random battles in it or even avoidable random battles I donā€™t want them to be purely recreational

normally Iā€™d be all ā€œgive me the fast mode 100% of the time and I will enjoy being underleveledā€ but I just donā€™t know here

1 Like

yeah i didnā€™t grind and i donā€™t think busted did either! i tried to fight each enemy once or twice and spent the rest of the time getting my ass kicked and it was awesome

2 Likes

Same, Iā€™m speculating the time is just normal battles taking a lot longer, and failing a few bosses a couple times (just like Iā€™ve always wanted and never gotten out of these games)

1 Like