FUCK YEAH DRAGON QUEST (Part 1)

I like it, I like it!! That attention to detail is actually mad. The people who made this have some problems. Unhealthy perfectionism probably among them.

I was going to go on about job bs in the goings on thread.

But instead just letting yā€™all know here: gonna use this Final Dungeon (take 1) evening like a salve. And Dragon Quest beer needs to be a thing, or something well fitting.

i didnā€™t expect to get the magic key so soon! so many doors to unlock now!!! that painting lady suuuuuuucked

I will not play this game but this idiot detail definitely makes it a Game Of 2018.

2 Likes

Iā€™m not sure if this is in earlier games in the series, but I just realized DQXI does something that is sort of like a half-implemented version of something Iā€™ve always thought should be done in JRPGs, where when you enter a town your entire party splits up and you can encounter them going about their own business in various shops and inns and stuff. Usually (so far) this has been plot related, and inconsistent, but itā€™s still a nice touch. It would be better if your entire party appeared behind you when wandering around the world map to show the contrast, but still.

The imaginary version of this in my head involved a system in which it was only ever possible to spend a limited amount of time in towns, because shops would close up in the evening or something. So when you entered a town late, you could delegate different tasks to different people, and their stats could play a role in how you decided to do this. So, you could send the warrior to go pick out weapons and armor, with specific instructions on what to look for (find a better bow for the ranger, etc), the person with highest charisma or charm or whatever could be told to go gather intel from townspeople, the ranger could be told to go back to the field to gather crafting ingredients, the thief could be told to try to pickpocket people or steal specific items, and everyone would have instructions to meet back at the inn at a designated time, and at that point everyone would report back to you with what they accomplished. How well they performed each task would be measured by a separate stat based on your relationship with them at that moment.

It would be good I swear.

10 Likes

star ocean 2 goes hog wild with this, kinda

2 Likes

I like the idea a lot. No oneā€™s innovated in that department in a long time. By that I mean what you do in towns and how you do it. Long overdue!

Yeah the Star Oceans have a version called ā€œPrivate Actionsā€ :eye:

They really innovated with that for some amusing/interesting character scenes but nothing like the awesome system you envision.

Iā€™d really like to see party members onscreen, even tightly clustered in dungeons if that gives an opportunity to show them immediately react and brace for battle. Kinda like Chrono Triggerā€™s just less following in a straight line and having to position themselves.

ugh yeah i agree. i think the trajectory is towards turning towns into a) places to scour every inch of in search of hidden treasure and b) ways to show off your big graphics and big dedication to quirky npcs and new ways to trigger cutscenes/plot events (Hey traveler. The inn is free tonight! I highly recommend you stay at this free inn! Who knows what will happen at the inn, tonight, while it is free, should you stay thereā€¦ maybe something surprising!!!), which is fine but i wish it was possible to actually make them interesting parts of the game, in a way that involved more than just offering you places to spend your money.

having weird little activities and mini games is cool, but it could be so much better

like one of the things that Zelda seems to have accomplished pretty well in its later iterations is disrupting the overworld/dungeon paradigm, I think the same thing could be done with towns to make them more than just places where you spend money and plot happens.

edit: im gonna make this a thread bc it interests me.

4 Likes

So is everyone done with this now or what? I just got past the snow level and I feel like things are just about to get kicked up a notch. Iā€™m a slow gamer.

Itā€™s still good, Iā€™m constantly amazed by how great the enemy animations are. Even now that palette swaps are becoming common the charm still hasnā€™t worn off.

Iā€™m up to the squid battle and getting my arse kicked

i mainlined it for 80 hours but that was just what i needed after a really, really shit few weeks

looking forward to playing again in a couple of years with all the draconian stuff on and the orchestral mod from the start

1 Like

Iā€™m far from done, I donā€™t even have all the characters yet lol

Iā€™ve been suuuper busy. And I wonā€™t get to play again until the 3rd. Iā€™ll take forever, I know.

Still, I made one of my screenshots my desktop background and am still DQ-feverish! So want to get back to it

Ffxv did this actually, youā€™d even call out to your party members once you walked beyond the invisible edge of the town zone and theyā€™d leave their places to gather back up with you.

yeah iā€™m still going too, doing endgame stuff

i love it

Iā€™m near the end too

The second half is not very exciting TBH.
By that point, the almost paradigm-shifting graphics are less impressive, every boss is easy even under stronger monsters / shypox, there have been no new towns in 20 hours and very few new locations (the mini medal drought is unbearable) , and the game has become more predictable in general, barring one particular event.

I donā€™t see it as a classic

I am shortly into the second half I think, but I take my time with these things. And FotNS comes out tomorrow, so I might take a break from DQ for some of that, but either way, I am enjoying it a lot.

i love the second half very much

I am in the second half about to finish retrieving all the characters. 55-60 hours or so, probably not done by a long shot. Still playing a little bit everyday just havenā€™t been talking about it. Really curious to see what the post-game looks like.

I just started the second half myself. That transition between halves is really something, eh? Shit got real weird there for a second. Waking up as a fish and seeing yourself in the mirror, that was wild.