FUCK YEAH DRAGON QUEST (Part 1)

I think that’s pretty unfair a description!

Erik is a very gay norwegian, which is about as far from a pewdiepie type as you can get

5 Likes

i am admittedly extremely bad at knowing about scandinavian stuff

he’s growing on me though!

yeah I just got into season 2 myself and it’s been said but good lord this game rules

I realize we’ve probably talked about difficulty enough but I figured I’d ask before turning the Draconian Quest stuff off - I’m about 7 hours in on hardmode and everything felt tuned perfectly to my taste (kisses fingers) until I got to the Kingsbarrow where I’m suddenly getting oneshotted by the bosses and I’ve got like 2-3 random battles max before I’m totally cashed on HP/MP. Am I missing something or do I just need to head out and grind for levels?

(I’ve never been good at sussing out DQ systems)

there are ~two spots where i decided to grind just a little bit, it usually had to do more with regrouping to double-check my gear and stuff. you definitely might be at one of those problem spots though

One of my favorite fan artists posted this today:

18 Likes

Earlygame I found that earlygame, most bosses seemed impossible until I somehow still beat them after the second or third try.

There is a hell of a lot of randomness involved with this battle system (boss moves range from deadly to worthless, status plays a big part early on, turn order is all over the place, pep powers activate randomly, plus there’s shypox) but the numbers are not stacked against the player. I found that winning is all about accepting the chaos and trying to make the best out of whatever bad situations you’re going to get yourself in. Every boss victory early on has been very close, playing a little more aggressively than I was comfortable with.

More concretely, coming into a battle with a few characters pepped up helps too

I haven’t had to grind yet, I’m fighting most enemies once then move on

1 Like

@bib @Tuxedo Thanks for the heads up!

Last night, feeling the power of pep I took a deep breath and dove back in and was able to get through the dungeon and boss fight pretty easily without actually having to grind at all. If anyone is interested:

I went back to camp and forged new hats for my guys and reworked a few pieces of gear from +1 to +2/3. I also bought some healing herbs.
I checked and saw I was about 3 fights away from a level up so I took 3 minutes and got the level up, though this probably wasn’t necessary.
I then bumrushed through the dungeon straight to the bosses, where I used Erik’s DOTs Cobra Strike and Rubblerouser and just sat back and healed and prayed I didn’t get critted.
Was starting to get low on MP near the end so was sweating a bit but one Pep power later and it was GG Grumpy Gryphons.

ETA I’m enjoying the feel of hardmode enough I might actually restart and add on more draconian quest options. Right now I’m running only the super strong enemies but I might put on reduced xp from low-level encounters (I think this would actually help as I currently never really know if I’m wasting time by fighting chumps) and no fleeing.

1 Like

i will say that the no exp modifier only really kicked in for me early on in the game. once i was past roughly the point you’re at now it would only trigger when i was doing stuff in previously explored areas where the xp would have been trivial anyway

i’m having Avatar syndrome but for this game

why can’t the real world be so pleasant and colorful

1 Like

just remember: it’s also filled with monsters who want to murder you to death, and avoiding random encounters in real life is much harder

3 Likes

yeah i finished a few days back and i’m mopping up quests i missed because i don’t want to stop hanging out in this world yet

i can see this being my go-to comfort game when i’m ill for years

1 Like

also the hero never has to talk to anyone but everyone always knows exactly what he means and he’s surrounded by friends who stick up for him and help him out in tricky social situations

7 Likes

Which just makes shypox all the better!

Does the PS4ver support spotify?

Probably? I have never checked, being the only person that likes the soundtrack as is.

you can independently set the BGM volume. I haven’t tried it but I’m sure you can play from spotify while using it, i’ve never heard of a game locking someone out of spotify use.

It’s blocked lol

god, fuck sugiyama

5 Likes

The doors open both ways so the hero can always push them, no pulling. I took a closer look at the door hinges to see if they had some weird fake hinge that would not work like that and

This door, at least, has a two way hinge. I’m not sure if there’s a real life counterpart (surely there is) but I think it’s safe to say that this game does not have

HINGE PROBLEMS

ᴵ’ˡˡ ˢᵉᵉ ᵐʸ ʷᵃʸ ᵒᵘᵗ

16 Likes