FUCK YEAH DRAGON QUEST (Part 1)

7 Likes

nosebleed

still really loving this game, playing it just like half an hour or hour at a time, which it in general accommodates really wellā€¦ then you get to one of those classic jrpg sequences where you are basically unable to save for like 1.5 hours of constant fighting (but it probably took twice as long as necessary because i didnā€™t realize you could jump down from that bridge and get straight to the gondolaā€¦ l o ā€¦ l? also that boss fight was harder than i expected but i might be kinda underlevelled? idk)

Spoilers?

I mean itā€™s DQ but stillā€¦

agree with this completely
also wondering if the ps4 ports of 1-3 will show up in the west and on steam eventually

re: xi difficulty, ~55 hours in without any of the draconian flags on and fighting the bare minimum of regular enemy encounters (usually just to steal materials) iā€™ve found the bossesā€¦ not super hard or anything but the fights come down to the wire in the same way they usually do when i play dragon quest like this

though it does tilt a bit in your favour when you start getting the more overpowered abilities unlocked obviously - jadeā€™s re-vamp is reaaaally good, and stacks multiple times

This dumb joke goes deeper than I thought and Dragon Ball was actually the origin of this term wow

This guy says poof poof instead of puff puff. Such Britishness shall not be forgiven!

issue 3 iirc

1 Like

if this is the final sequence of gondolia, I didnā€™t have to fight until I reached erik. You can sneak past the rest of the soldiers and it shouldnā€™t take more than 5 min to get there.

yeah, i realized that. i was unable to sneak effectively, i couldnā€™t figure out exactly what would trigger the guards attention and what wouldnā€™t. they always seemed to be looking in all directions at once and never moved. eventually i just started running around out in the open because nothing seemed to work. but the main problem was not realizing that to get to the gondola from the bridge you just have to like walk one step forward and jump down. so i spent like 30 minutes running around looking for a stairway that would lead down, before returning to the bridge and realizing you could jump down directly

:ok_hand:

5 Likes

anyone at the end/postgame? shit is wild load up your save after the ā€˜endingā€™, thereā€™s aā€¦ lot more left, an entire third act

i think viii did the same thing

Thereā€™s a group working on a mod to replace every track in the PC version of XI with versions of the orchestral soundtrack that have been edited to seamlessly loop. Iā€™m pumped, apparently theyā€™re pretty close to done!

https://steamcommunity.com/app/742120/discussions/0/1739968490573373255/

2 Likes

iā€™m enjoying this but itā€™s really making me appreciate that RPGs stopped having one (1) background track for walking anywhere outside of town at some point in the last decade

4 Likes

also i refused to stop speaking the italiano to my partner the whole time i was in gondolia so maybe this game will cost me my relazione

10 Likes

Hot damn, my girlfriend and I were doing the same thing, constantly repeating ā€œBenignoā€ to each other in 60ā€™s Fellini protagonist voices and cackling like the idiots we are.

1 Like

the spider is indeed a mean bastard

it was tense but i made it through

does anyone else feel like erik doesnt really carry his own weight, i thought we were supposed to be friends man you have a very limited set of abilities

tho tbf maybe i shouldnā€™t be making him main boomerangs

its ok to do hella murders if youā€™re doing it for the orphans

ĀÆ_(惄)_/ĀÆ

1 Like

Boomerangs had a point when Dragon Quest had resource management, but now that you can avoid encounters and have mages unload their best multitarget spells 24/7 theyā€™re pointless

I have Erik w/ daggers, heā€™s about disabling enemies with sleep, or poisoning bosses. Heā€™s not awful, still the least useful guy in the team though

Is it just me or is there exactly one mini medal per important area, after their introduction? I feel like thereā€™s always at least one in an area and never 2. Makes the hunt easier but removes some mystery!

1 Like

I dunno, Erikā€™s debuffs combined with his passive damage skills and dual-welding see him getting a lot of use in my lineup. I havenā€™t really figured out what to do with rab yet. His damage with claws is a tickle and he has some okay spells but nothing that tops Veronica or Serenaā€™s kits? What am I missing?