FUCK YEAH DRAGON QUEST (Part 1)

Maybe a dumb question, but is actual Toriyama still involved in any capacity? Or does he leave all the new design work to his assistants?

Don’t tell me he actually does all the illustrations himself

Speaking of Toriyama: I had a dream tonight that I have to watch all existent Dragonball (Z) anime because I need more Toriyama in my life. Then I woke up and played DQV on my phone. Then I remembered the dream again and found a watch guide for my purposes on reddit that details all DB anime available in chronological order.

Someone save me.

I don’t think I’ll set this plan in motion but it just goes to show what kind of a number DQXI did on me

1 Like

Just watching DBZ Kai dubbed or subbed would probably be the sanest way to do it? Could even consider the post-Cell stuff as optional if you don’t want to commit too hard.

2 Likes

Just read the comics. Anime sucks and takes 10x as long.

4 Likes

I really enjoyed watching Kai during the initial run subtitled

1 Like

@Ymer Thanks, I’m grateful for hackz like that. I probably don’t want to over do it. I mean I always loved the original DB and watching that in Japanese instead of German is probably going to be eye opening. But I never was too much of a fan of DBZ’s beginning. Maybe it gets better after that, I never watched too far (well, consistently, anyway.)

@HOBO That’s not really an option because those cost lots of money that I don’t have to collect. Reading them digitally doesn’t really thrill me. I love ebooks but emanga I don’t think so. Also I love all the pretty Toriyama anime colors

Maybe I’ll ask some more questions in the anime club thread, I don’t want to derail this one.

I played 7 hours of DQV and, yeah, it’s a masterpiece alright. I’m kind of blown away that it existed so many years ago and videogames are still the way they are right now. The only gripes I had were that you have to grind a liiittle bit too much to beat the boss of the ghosts early on (before that and since then it was all smooth sailing/playing) and sometimes I didn’t know where to go (and then figured it out anyway without any help after a few minutes, so it’s not too bad.) Really great game!

1 Like

I am at the point in XI, almost halfway through, where I realize I need to start leveling up more not so I can beat the bosses (at most I’ve only needed three attempts so far for any particular boss) but rather because I need to build up more focus so I can craft better gear in the forge because I have a ton of recipes for some cool stuff but none of it turns out well at all because I run out of focus before I can finish it.

I’ve got some cool as heck looking outfits but I don’t want to craft/equip any of them until they are all +3 perfect.

1 Like

nice

15 Likes

fuck yeah

1 Like

jesus christ

7 Likes

good god

3 Likes

that face makes me hear that textbox in Team Four Star’s King Kai voice

35 hours in and the game finally reveals the big bad.

HO LEE SHIT

FUCK YEAH DRAGON QUEST

2 Likes

when FF does it, everyone bitches about it for years

not me

1 Like

I just failed to buy weapons from a photorealistic shark who just stared uncomprehendingly at me.

Then I went to Scooby Doo Ghoul School.

This game owns.

1 Like

hey if i was gonna replay dq2/3 is there a consensus on if i should play gbc/sfc/mobile version? are the mobile versions ports of the sfc versions or am i making that up?

got some flights coming up lol

Well with DQ3 the GBC version has a bonus dungeon with new monsters, a new collectible in the form of monster medals that you get when fighting the monsters, and a special location that is basically a board game. I’ve played both that version and the mobile version and they’re both good ways to play the game. I’d lean towards the GBC versions but the famicom-style graphics in the mobile versions are nice. I guess whichever way is cheaper for you.

1 Like

The SFC remake of 3 is gorgeous and the GBC version (which also looks pretty damn nice for a GBC game) is basically a downport of it, so which one you pick is a matter of which aesthetic you prefer, yeah. I hear the mobile port is basically the same as the SFC version, but takes out monster animations and the Pachisi track which imo are marks against it

I have been playing the mobile remake of 2 (which is based on the SFC remake, but is not a port of it) and it is basically the definitive version. Great if you’re looking for the oldest school kind of JRPG. It’s all wandering around an open ended world, looking for the 5 mystical whatevers and jotting down notes about which locations to revisit and whatnot. Mobile is the first version where Zoom works the way it does now (warp to any town you’ve been to) instead of how it did from DQ1-5 (warp you to last town you visited) and that on its own makes it a way more pleasant experience

5 Likes

So I’ve been watching some Dragon Ball and it taught me that Pafu Pafu is when one puts their head between a woman’s bosom and… Well. So what are these Puff Puff girls you meet all around the world? I didn’t think the game would be this ecchi, even though the second girl made it quite clear. Especially while wearing Gemma’s charm that feels super bad…