FUCK YEAH DRAGON QUEST (Part 1)

it’s a very Flanders-y Evangelical pastor vibe

little too worldly for my blood

2 Likes

haven’t played DQIV but imho Travis has the correct reading here

2 Likes

Veronica remains MVP

Plenty of perfectionist pearls but said nah, tried reloading after my first bad item forge, ha they have a cool down in place to buffer cheesing it

Roughly every 10 hours, XI unfolds another layer of simple n strong craft. Got a bit emotional with developments around 30!

Slime Knights have always been one of my favorite enemies, their field animation in this is the best.

1 Like

This is 100% true and i audibly AWWWWed when I saw them.

1 Like

the way that monsterguys cavort around the field and occasionally group themselves into weird, ritualistic-seeming formations is very good

1 Like

she-slimes following a drummer around was very cute even though they don’t often fight together

3 Likes

When I began the game my eyes quickly began glued to the minimap just like with every other game featuring an onscreen minimap.
Then I found out that treasure chests and sparkly things don’t appear on the minimap, and now I don’t look at it anymore, ever. Which is 100% an improvement, but I wish I could turn the damn thing off in the options now

Pro tip I found that the pep powers that seem to only « lower resistances to elements » actually add a superpowered Rubblerouser effect. Some are immensely powerful and will ruin early bosses even with a few Draconian Options on

2 Likes

That description is exceptionally poor. Why wouldn’t you tell me about <90+ damage to each enemy over three turns>?

1 Like

Non DQ11 talk : In the past three or so years I played through the Dragon Quest 1-6 remakes by adding some challenges

• dead hero for 2/3, have to play with bad princes and randos
  • garbage team for 4 (torneko / dancers / borya)
  • monsters only team for 5
  • each time a new character appears in 6 he gets in the team and the oldest character gets removed, until all humans are gone and the entire team is slimes

They were all excellent challenges that added a lot to the games! But now I can’t find anything interesting for DQ7/8!! I have them sitting unplayed on my 3DS for that reason!

Would like it if I didn’t have to look at red text constantly (happens if one guy is dead in some games) and random battles didn’t have to be avoided

1 Like

5 Likes

i haven’t done it yet because im addicted to spears, but fisticuffs for everybody in 8 seems like it’d be fun and surprisingly effective. As it is i like to get Thin Air for Yangus asap, it just threshes random encounters for the first 1/2 of the game at least

I honestly don’t know how I feel about full 3d polygonal Toriyama characters

2 Likes

Personally I’m shocked at how little they lose; this might be the most effective pen to polys transition I’ve seen (normally I hate it). Maybe it’s the gradual line cleanup we’ve been subjected to over the past few decades but his art was always clean and poppy enough that it’s a good candidate.

7 Likes

Toriyama’s best work was always able to convey a sense of weight and depth in his art such that it transitions well to 3d anyway

2 Likes

Yeah I think Nobody Ever Picks Fisticuffs but they might actually be too super powerful for a challenge! Everybody spamming Thin Air!

For DQ7 I might try « one character can change classes but everybody else is like a fucking jester » when I get around to it

1 Like

3D Dragon Quest looks better than Toriyama’s art has in ages

sorry but ever since he switched to digital it’s been real thicklined and over shaded and stiff. i love him so much but i think his newer stuff is so ugly :frowning_face:

Just look at the art for the classes on this page and compare the thief art to everyone else, that’s what im talking about

3 Likes

It’s the faces. They just… I dunno. They’re too pointy, or something.

the monsters look increeeeddible in 3D

2 Likes

9 Likes
1 Like