FUCK YEAH DRAGON QUEST (Part 1)

there are ports of the mobile versions of 1-3 on jpsn

you actually get a free code for 1 after the end credits of jp 11

new favourite character

3 Likes

What does this mean?

VIII was co-developed by Level-5, who like to stock their games with lots of subsystems and minigames, which in VIII as I recall was the magic pot to make things and the monster raising, and neither of them worked well for me. It wasn’t like Rogue Galaxy levels of egregious Level 5-ness (we didn’t have to capture bugs to race them and fight them to get some specific weapon or something), but it just didn’t feel right to me at the time.

At some point I want to pick up the 3ds port to see if it works better there.

Didn’t the alchemy pot become a staple of the series since then? IX has it, and XI has the crafting forge thing, which is even more minigamey since you have to fill some gauges and tiles to make objects instead of just plopping down the ingredients.

damn, i fucking loved the alchemy pot and the monster raising

the negative with the dq8 alchemy pot is having to wait a few minutes in real time for your stuff to finish, they removed this in the 3ds port i believe

1 Like

Yeah, I just didn’t get into the alchemy pot. There is just something about how Level 5 presents these things that I bounce off of for some reason. I have no problem with the forge so far in 11 though.

EDIT: Oh shit, yeah, the waiting for the pot was some shit I remember. Like the forge is just “do this little thing and it is done” and it is nice.

Monster raising is just something I never bother with in these games, and I remember there being something in 8 where it wanted me to super care about it, and I…didn’t.

1 Like

i just want to say that the real-time waiting is exactly why i loved the alchemy pot, absolutely not a flaw for me. it perfectly tied into the draw of the game for me, which was slow and steady, cool and collected. go out there and explore this world while you’re waiting for the stew to simmer! a watched pot never boils!

damn, i loved that game.

alright but let me also add that as a 31 year old person i am much more amenable to not having to do that anymore lol

edit: actually, that’s why i liked the monster collecting and raising as well. similarly tied into the feeling of wanting to explore and being rewarded for doing so by finding the rarer monsters roaming, nabbing them, training them, getting to know all the lovely creatures in the world

4 Likes

there was no real raising involved, just collecting roaming boss monsters and an arena you could enter them in. i like the game-length sidequests in dragon quest— monster arena in viii felt like another branch of mini medals to me, basically

i also love alchemy pot, including timer— hearing that ding when you were walking around!

3 Likes

If the forge didn’t have bashing I’d probably find it overly convenient, but that bit of interaction and strategy (tilting RNG for the buff) goes a long way to keep it fresh.

2 Likes

Oh yeah, it’s been awhile.

I heartily dislike Level 5 and failed to get into DQ8 the way I’ve failed to get into every DQ but my rationale is closer to what Astromech articulated above, I actually didn’t find 8 uniquely Level 5ish

I dunno, I just bounced off of 8 in a way i didn’t with basically any other series entry aside from 6.

it was definitely slow in ways that weren’t strictly quaint, but I think that’s more a commonality of PS2 JRPGs (that aren’t nocturne) than anything unique about DQ8

Oh there is a definite possibility that it was ps2 jrpg problem as well, as I don’t know that I really got into any jrpgs on that system (nocturne aside).

Rogue Galaxy is/was, probably a good game I bounced off quicker than pretty much any other rpg I’ve ever played. Couldn’t even tell you why. Heard so much praise, I imagined Skies of Arcadia in space, and just…didn’t feel anything for it like two hours in.

2005-6 were heavy game years though, I could’ve just been distracted.

2 Likes

I think Level 5 in their heyday in fact completely short circuited critical assessment of jRPGs – between the decline of final fantasy (due in part to the PS2’s hardware simply not providing an easy way to make games look as good or as interesting or move as quickly as Square’s PS1 work, which I don’t think has been widely enough discussed, as well as Sakaguchi flunking out) and the ascent of arch-waifu character designs post-Eva, the genre flatlined badly, and Level 5 was at least willing to cram the most rose-coloured baubles into their games to make them feel like they were the standard-bearer for whatever a jRPG was then supposed to be. they’re all pretty rote and terrible imo.

3 Likes

People have professed crazy love for the Layton games, and I once meant to check out Yokai watch for the flavor. Aside from that well they’ve got a ton of stuff, wide eyed for colorful stat grind collect-a-thons.

Early on, I think that married well with the sensibilities of DQ.

1 Like

Youkai Watch is not a particularly deep JRPG, but it is a hell of a hangout game. You can walk into stores and family homes and read a different 4koma manga in each one. Youkai Watch is Dragon Quest for the auto-attack/mobile game generation.

2 Likes