FUCK YEAH DRAGON QUEST (Part 1)

maybe you stretch it out really chew it right

2 Likes

Yeah play it in 30 minute chunks randomly over a year.

Think it took me 2 years to beat DW7 in the early 2000s.

5 Likes

Timā€™s description of this and other Dragon Quests as games you play for an hour before bed each night is pretty spot on. Theyā€™re designed to be consumed in a series of short sessions. Think of each town/dungeon as an ā€œepisodeā€

2 Likes

the worst thing about sugiyama being such a pos is that he is also a strict copyrights defender so if Enix cut ties with him, goodbye Dragon Quest fanfare

in an ideal world that obviously wouldnā€™t excuse continuing to profit a bigot but in this trash world we live in i can sorta see a case on Enixā€™s part for handling him with care while heā€™s still around

so letā€™s just hope he kicks the bucket soon, along with every other hateful old fuck on the planet

also yeah unfortunately his music is pretty good and iconic. i wish shitty people werenā€™t allowed to be good at things

3 Likes

Never feel bad about quitting a videogame.

I am huge DQ fan and have only finished like 3 or 4 of them and I am completely OK with this.

5 Likes

Yep, in the same way I might not finish a book or a tv series I have no problem with not finishing a video game Iā€™m not enjoying.

Iā€™ve been playing a bunch the past few days but Iā€™m wondering if this is really enjoyed better in smaller doses. Also sylvando rules.

i played viii over the course of a year thanks to party chat

mainlining this though

At first I was a bit worried because he was kinda coming off as some uncomfortable stereotypes at first, but by the end of the episode in that town, I have completely gotten on board with him. It hurts that I can onlyhave four people in my party at once because they all are pretty cool with me.

1 Like

Loving these No responses to ā€œBut Thou Must!ā€ setups. You might go along with most as they happen, agreeably flow through plot. Then the Prince comes along so assumptive and hilariously animated when youā€™re like nah. Doubt thereā€™d ever be much consequence to choices unlessā€¦dragonlooooord

Just read this post and itā€™s funny because Iā€™m in another town and am playing DQ11 on a laptop that wouldnā€™t be able to run it. I use Parsec. You leave your gaming pc running with Parsec open and also install it on your laptop. Then you can stream your desktop to the laptop, play games, whatever. It works really well for games like this, that arenā€™t twitchy. It also supports your game controller of choice of course. Give it a try if itā€™s not too late. Parsec is free.

2 Likes

I like the voice acting a lot. I donā€™t even skip it, I just look at the beautiful art on screen and listen for how the lines are going to be delivered, because thatā€™s what gives them life. I canā€™t make up a hundred and one differently voiced characters in my head on the fly, so Iā€™d feel like everyone sounds the same if I played without the voices.

I also think the music is slightly off, very dissonant at times, but thankfully I like that. I like the old DQ vibes it gives the game. But yeah, maybe for 12 get someone else before this gets too far out of hand

2 Likes

Unfortunately the issue is that my gaming PC will be packed and in storage for a bit while we find a new place in Minneapolis, but itā€™s cool that parsec works so well! Thanks for the idea

1 Like

Itā€™s more like ā€œIā€™m so happy the people I know are so supportive and this scene reminds me of that.ā€ I actually find it quite hard to invest emotionally in media, which is why undertale caught me so of guard

1 Like

The townspeople didnā€™t do it for me but the characteristically very effective underplaying of Gemmaā€™s crushed love/future life plans got me.

2 Likes

this is the first time iā€™ve bought a game within a week of release in, like, maybe over a decade???

ā€¦it is entirely possible that the last one was actually dragon quest 9, so i guess iā€™m just That Guy now

5 Likes

I finally hit an encounter, about 14 hours or so in, that just keeps destroying me and prevents me from moving forward. Iā€™m level 17 so Iā€™m going to go explore a bit, gain a few more levels and forge some more equipment.

Iā€™m loving this game so much. Itā€™s a big huge bedtime story and Iā€™m the kid that keeps asking ā€œand then what happened?ā€ so I never ge to sleep.

Thereā€™s an item you get for a challenge/collectible that you can also use to draw enemies in the field toward you so you donā€™t have to chase them down. Also some monsters can be mounted after you defeat them and you can ride them around and reach places you couldnā€™t get to on foot.

1 Like

what

WHAT

1 Like

If you see a monster thatā€™s got a golden shine to it fight it! Fight it and defeat it!

Mount AND ride, baby!*

*Talking specifically about riding here donā€™t mount the monsters in a sexual way.

what if theyā€™re into it though

1 Like

Mount nā€™ dew them, baby

2 Likes