FUCK YEAH DRAGON QUEST (Part 1)

I guess most pc games just like have audio files in a directory that’s probably easier tho

I don’t condone it! I’m just reporting it

I hear some good compositions, and yeah some near cacophonous! It’s mostly that midi driving it. The orchestral ost for western VIII was a really nice +.

Gotta be a Symphonic Suite for XI by now, Steam players could mod to utilize that.

Loving it regardless, I guess the sound is true to old form, but not matching vibrant visual

reminder that koichi sugiyama is a colossal asshole and that is why we get stuck with a handful of plinky midi tracks for this 2018 PS4 game

4 Likes

Even so if money was the factor, anything Squeenix-Goya could’ve dropped (like this decent-good VA) to reach his demands would’ve been worth it. I say this not really knowing costs of course.

1 Like

my copy arrived yesterday. just defeated the tiny, bridge-hating chest-devil.

random thoughts

try as i might, i just can’t hate the VA work
did anyone else have to pause for a bit after taking those first few steps out of Cobblestone?
still don’t know what tim has against the DQVIII costume

1 Like

I just got to the aforementioned haiku village and it is the definite high point for me so far. The writing in this area is absolutely delightful, I love the new party member who is introduced, and the village’s music is the first track in the game I have actually liked.

get hitoshi sakimoto next time imo

1 Like

I did because the whole village coming together to wish me farewell made me a little weepy

I’ve only played like 1.5 hours of this, I just got to the first big town and I’ve been exploring every nook and cranny. Every house has two exits at least, which is wonderful, and many times they are on the second floor. You rarely have to backtrack and often end up jumping around on the roofs or balconies.

The attention to detail is incredible:

Well, not everything can be perfect.

I just keep thinking about this game. I’m going to try and fit in at least an hour today, since I will be out of town for 3 days and it probably won’t run on my laptop.

4 Likes

sorry last post, figure some people might be interested in tracking this:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/742120/discussions/0/1735463620103882377/

I saw that spice box too, what an incongruously high-detail texture element (it triggers my ‘outsourced art asset’ sense). Interesting to see these rich houses modeled with three props total inside as a literal interpretation of the 2D versions. And the castle has an entertainingly silly floor plan in what feels like adherence to form.

I’m not sure if I think these bits are winkingly playing at repetition of calcified media Canons, but keeping the dialogue witty keeps it moving.

I keep thinking about Tim classifying Chrono Trigger as a Dragon Quest and what I miss most are the aesthetics. I’ve never gotten much out of Dragon Quest’s generic fantasy except for the monsters and the music rarely speaks to me but the scenarios are usually so excellent I push through. Chrono Trigger imported Square’s prog rock aesthetics and that blends with Toriyama’s character design for me. It has the most memorable post-apocalypse I ever did see and I think it’s riding a real successful line where the cartooniness enhances sympathy before simplifying too much. To me DQ’s backdrops and world can’t sustain me though the character stories remain excellent.

Chrono Trigger’s also got the best ten-year-old’s fantasy lineup: frog, robot, cavewoman, genius scientist. I think it’s secretly a sister game to Killer Instinct. And I love Killer Instinct the way a kid who only ever watched others play it could.

11 Likes

Raging take furnace, love it

3 Likes

I did not realize how much of a fuck sugiyama is http://www.kidfenris.com/review-dragon-quest-xi/

4 Likes

His music’s not even good. Wish they would ditch him.

1 Like

I understand how deplorable that makes him as a person, and how pervasive that is, but I’m not going to cancel his contribution to this pillar of entertainment/art form, that inherence and I’ll continue to enjoy it to an extent and don’t see him being divorced probably until death.

Well maybe towards it. Since these appear to be primarily recognized motions in the last decade, his involvement might wane and holy shit he’s 87.

1 Like

Sugiyama has been a well known piece of shit for many years but fortunately his toxic views don’t seem to be shared by anyone else who has worked on the games (at least as far as I know, that can change)

I still like the music. Dude’s just a modern day Wagner. Wish they had orchestral soundtrack in the game

edit: anyway, I think anyone who wants to steer clear of the game because of Sugiyama’s involvement is fully within their rights to do so, no need to feel like you’re supporting bigotry via video game purchases

1 Like

I did because the whole village coming together to wish me farewell made me a little weepy

I envy your ability to emotionally invest.

Does anyone have any tips for avoiding burnout?

every so often: take a quick ham sam break