Football/Soccer/Fútbol/Fußball/足球

Pretty much the only sport that I watch anymore (with the exception of the few Olympic sports that are actually broadcast as competitions rather than fabulist jingoistic propaganda) is soccer, or whatever you choose to call it. I caught the bug as a kid as two of the UHF channels that we got were 14, which was Univision, and 26, which was the catch-all “international” channel, which would show Chinese/Japanese/Korean shows at various points and more importantly, RAI broadcasts of Serie A. For somebody who was borderline obsessed with the heraldry and symbolism of sport, soccer was fascinating, with the teams often using city seals hundreds of years old as their logo, and the fans, full of chanting, singing, and waving banners, were intoxicatingly exotic.

Catching matches these days is so much easier than it used to be, it’s ridiculous. I’ve got subscriptions to fubo.tv, which broadcasts league play from England, Spain, Germany, France, Turkey, and Mexico, as well as some Champions League (a tournament of European teams that qualified via finishing high in their domestic leagues the previous year), and the equivalent South American competitions, the Copa Libratadores and the Copa Sudamericana. I also use ESPN+, which gets me the Italian and Dutch leagues as well as some of the second-tier European cup competitions and oddities like the Indian league (or at least one of them, that whole situation is impressively confusing).

I’m just going to yammer in this thread about matches that I’ve watched or big things that have happened in the sport, hopefully it’s entertaining and/or other people feel compelled to jump in.

Today the early match in the English Premier League was Chelsea vs. Tottenham (the general convention in soccer is that the home team is listed first). There’s a ton of history and stories associated with this matchup, I’ll try and start at the highest level and work my way down. First, this is a London derby (“derby” is essentially any rivalry, generally two teams from the same general area/town) between two teams that really don’t like each other (a bit of a cliche, still, some derbies are more fierce than others). Chelsea are from the West End and have a bit of a nasty association with the far-right, although they have a fair amount of black supporters and players and last time these two teams played, it was one of their players, Antonio Rüdiger, who accused Tottenham fans of racially abusing him with monkey noises during the game. Tottenham Hotspur are from North London, and have a somewhat odd association with the Jewish population of the city, with the team’s supporters often referring to themselves as “the Yids” (regardless of whether they’re Jewish or not) and there has been anti-Semitic chanting from opposition fans directed at them over the years.

In terms of this year’s league, the question of who will win is pretty over – the English league, like the vast majority of soccer leagues worldwide, is decided over a season where each team plays every other team twice, home and away, with 3 points for a win and 1 for a tie. The benefit of this system is that it’s very hard to argue that the best team doesn’t tend to win, although it does lead to situations like this year, where Liverpool, having one of the best-ever seasons in the history of the league, is 22 points ahead of the second-place team. That said, there’s still a lot to play for, as the top four teams in the English league qualify for the Champions League next season, which means a ridiculous amount of television and prize money, which is increasingly necessary for the “big teams” to operate financially. Additionally, Manchester City, last year’s champions and current second-place team, have been spectacularly banned from the next two Champion’s League competitions for financial irregularities and while this is under appeal, this would mean the team that finishes fifth would also get a CL spot. Appropriately enough, Chelsea and Spurs are 4th and 5th, respectively, separated by a single point.

There’s also a lot of shared history with the coaches, Tottenham being coached by Jose Mourinho, who was twice a league-winning coach of Chelsea, where one of his star players was Frank Lampard, now the first-year head coach of Chelsea. Both clubs are in a transition phase, with Chelsea having had a recent transfer ban (essentially, no buying of new players) forcing them to play a bunch of their young English players who would otherwise be loaned out to smaller clubs to develop and Spurs, after having reached the final of the Champions League last year, sacked their old coach, Mauricio Pocchetino, after a horrible start to the season, with the ever-pragmatic Mourinho getting them successfully back up the table in short order.

Today they lined up very similarly, Chelsea as a 3-4-3 and Spurs as a 3-5-2 (Defenders - Midfielders - Forwards):

Both sides were somewhat patchwork, Spurs most notably having no healthy out-and-out forwards and thus forced to play two attack-minded midfielders in advanced positions, as well as a midfielder still working his way into playing form (Ndombele) and a player more comfortable at centerback or fullback at right wingback (Taganga). Chelsea are without their top forward, teenager Tammy Abraham, and instead started Olivier “Stupid Sexy” Giroud up top. They’ve also usually played with attacking wingers this year and instead opted to field Mount and Barkley, who are both naturally central players, in what used to be called the inside-left and inside-right positions.

Looking at the lineups, it would seem that Spurs, with their extra man in the middle of the field, would be able to dominate play there. However, it didn’t work out that way as Mourinho likes his teams to play deep and compact, and then hit quickly on the break. Plus, both Barkley and Mount dropped deeper and centrally over the course of the game, effectively creating a 4-3 overload for Chelsea, which combined with Spurs playing on the counter, allowed Chelsea to dominated possession of the ball.

And they did well with it, with a beautiful deep pass from Jorginho springing Giroud early and after his shot was saved and Barkley’s follow-up rebounded off the bar, Giroud smashed home a fine left-footed strike to the near-post. This was a huge problem for Tottenham, who was relying on hitting on the counter-attack with Chelsea coming forward to try and win an important game at home. Now that Chelsea had the lead, they could sit back, play more conservatively, and hold the ball, forcing Spurs to come forward themselves. This resulted in an excellent sequence of play early in the second half where a Giroud flick-on fell to Mount, who dribbled into a great position before passing to Barkley, who made an excellent first-touch pass to Alonso, who drilled a fine finish into the low and far corner of the net.

Really, the most interesting thing about the middle part of the game was how Giovanni Lo Celso managed to stay on the field. First, he kicked out at Mason Mount while lying on the ground, then stamped on Azpilecueta’s shin in the second half, and put his studs into Kovacic’s thigh, with none of these receiving even a yellow card. The stamp was the most farcical, as it was a clear red-card offense, and after the referee missed it, they went to VAR – Video Assistant Referee, i.e. another official in a video booth watching footage of the game, who, after a ludicrous couple of minutes standing around with nothing happening, announced no card and play to continue, only to have the Premier League issue a statement 20 minutes later, with the game still going, that both the ref on the field and VAR had screwed up and in fact, it should have been a red card. Hilariously, Lo Celso was then shown an extremely soft yellow near the end of the game, which caused the crowd to loudly and sarcastically applaud the referee. From the resulting free-kick, Alonso hit the crossbar, which then set up a nervy finish when Lamela, on as a sub for Spurs, hit a shot that deflected off a defender and past Caballero in the Chelsea goal.

Thankfully justice was served and Chelsea was able to come out with a deserved win, with their double deep-lying pivot of Kovacic and Jorginho especially effective. Really, there’s a ton that happened in this game, as well as other various stories (Caballero over Kepa for the keeper position, Dele Alli being left on the bench until late for Spurs, Spurs seeming to become even dirtier under Mourinho) that I’m leaving out for the sake of this not being a complete novel. That’s really what’s interesting to me about sport, how like other games, there’s emergent narratives that come out of play.

5 Likes

it’s fun being a liverpool fan this season, but i still think we’ve looked worse than we did last season.

1 Like

all you need to know is that celtic are the greatest team the world has seen and ever will see.

ok thanks

Deffo. There’s been a lot of close calls as well, it feels unreal being so close to finally winning the league? But it’s cool also.

My Everton-supporting friend is silently despairing, which is quite funny since I haven’t brought up footie all season. Ah well.

i just find everton really funny

1 Like

Continued ramblings about games I’ve watched:

Today led off with Liverpool - Bournemouth, a match that should in theory be relatively straightforward – Liverpool are leagues and leagues ahead of second place while Bournemouth are in the relegation zone (the bottom three teams go down to the division below). It’s not quite that straight forward as Liverpool have lost three out of their last four in all competitions and you could reasonably ask if they are wobbling a bit. This narrative is given a nice boost as Bournemouth take an early lead courtesy of a counter-attack aided by a noticeable shove on Joe Gomez (once of Charlton, which is the English team that I support) by Callum Wilson that goes uncalled, even after VAR review. However, Bournemouth veteran defender Steve Cook has to go off injured midway through the first half and a couple of gaffes gift Liverpool with chances that they dutifully tuck away and then do enough to see out the rest of the game.

The midday game was Arsenal - West Ham, notable mainly for seeing how Mikel Arteta, who played for Everton and Arsenal and then coached under Pep Guardiola at Manchester City, does in terms of trying rehabilitate an Arsenal side that’s been rudderless for years. There’s a lot of hue and cry around Arteta being the new hotness and while largely it seems a bit overblown (he’s tied as many games as he’s won at the club and they got knocked out of the Europa League (the Champion’s League neer-do-well younger sibling) by Olympiakos), I think he’s getting the attention he is because he actually appears to be trying to play a system, which was noticeably not the case under Unai Emery, who preceded him. More or less, it’s a 4-3-3 in defense where the left-back becomes a left-winger and the left attacker tucks in, while one of the central midfielders moves left to cover that space. The right-back, on the other hand, tucks inside to play centrally and the attacking midfielder often pops up on the right, although he’s mostly given license to roam. In this case, it turns out to be just enough to beat a West Ham team that is currently operating in the game yet ultimately creatively limited image of their head coach, David Moyes (who did really well against everybody except the top teams at Everton and infamously failed to succeed Alex Ferguson at Manchester United).

The nightcap was a Brutalist Special, as it featured two teams who prefer to defend first and play on the break. At home was Sean Dyche’s Burnley, who play a compact, basic, and incredibly well-drilled 4-4-2 (you could argue that it’s more of a 4-4-1-1 with Jay Rodriguez dropping between the lines; it doesn’t have the ring of Four-Four-Fucking-Two though). The away side was Jose Mourinho’s Tottenham, playing what looked like a 5-2-3-0, with both flank defenders being central defenders by trade, and with no fit forwards that aren’t teenagers, the attack is three attacking central mids. With both sides happier without the ball, Spurs do the better job of forcing Burnley to try and attack them, only to fall prey to a volleyed shot from the edge of the area rebounding straight back off Hugo Lloris and Wayward Prop Chris Wood manages to guide it back into the goal. Mourinho, who hasn’t been afraid of sweeping early changes in his career, replaces both central midfielders at halftime, brings on an extra attacking midfielder, and moves Dier up into defensive midfield. It pays off almost immediately as a quick Spurs break leads to a clumsy lunging tackle for a penalty. While there wasn’t a lot of slick passing movements on display, both sides were looking to get it into the opposition penalty area as quickly as possible, so as legs got tired and organization began to break down, the game shifted rapidly between direct attacking movements. In the end, nobody could put it away and while Burnley was probably better overall, a point is a decent result for both sides.

2 Likes

I have been missing football

A 1976 home international. With love.

3 Likes

Also Fifa are putting full World Cup matches on youtube. I think this might be the best game of football I have ever seen:

2 Likes

Watching some more football! Early game was Burnley v Arsenal, which, to get you in the mood for it:

Both teams lived up to their reputations, with Burnley being dour yet exceptionally well-organized, and Arsenal mixed lovely moves with boneheaded errors, the former being a nicely-worked goal for Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang cutting in from the left, and the latter taking the form of Granit Xhaka playing a one-two with his own keeper and then shanking a pass off of Chris Wood, who did what he does best in getting the equalizer: gamely impersonating a large piece of wood that you can bounce balls off of and into the goal. After that, Burnley were happy to let Arsenal break onto them like waves on a cliff, which, if you’re only dealing with 90-minute periods rather than geological ones, works out fine for the cliff.

Second game was Sheffield United versus Southampton, two of the more tactically interesting teams in the league, United, nicknamed the Blades, were last year’s overachieving team that came up from the lower division (this year it’s Leeds, coached by Marcelo “El Loco” Bielsa), playing a 3-5-2 system that involved the outside centerbacks occasionally going on overlapping runs up the field, an innovation that completely flummoxed other teams and allowed them to finish well up the table. This year, one of their most crucial players in those positions has been out injured and presumably other teams have picked up a few ideas of how to deal with it. So now they’re stuck at the bottom of the table and with their manager recently providing a lovely quote decrying “lefties, do-gooders, and psychologists”, it’ll be quite funny to see them get relegated.

Southampton are coached by Ralf Hasenhüttl, the “Klopp of the Alps” (translated literally, his name is “Ralph Rabbithutch”) and are either quite good, capable of beating anybody, or completely awful (having lost 9-0 twice over the last two seasons). They play a 4-4-2 system with loads of high pressing, which, when combined with their hilariously slow central defender Jannik Vestergaard, can lead to some of the aforementioned wallopings.

In the end, the only thing that the Blades were good for were a serious of boneheaded challenges that lead to a penalty and a late flurry of yellow cards. Southampton were largely unfussed and could have won by well more than two if they’d had their finishing boots on.

4 Likes

Football has a write off in lockdown as “ra Sellick” have been awful.

Lock the thread.

1 Like