fishing 🎣

I have been played Legend of the River King 2 on gbc!

It has a beautiful title screen.

And an amazing main menu.

In the beginning you choose between KID and TEEN. This affects which legendary pokemon you get. The teen starts at like level 5 or something and the kid at level 1. I chose the kid.

This is what your house looks like.

This is your front yard. You have flower beds. You can collect flowers in the world and plant them in the garden. The music that plays in your house is a procedurally generated song that can be composed by placing flowers in the bed! The flower bed is sheet music! What the fuck!!!

The world is beautiful.

The fishing is pretty slow and you really gotta relax with it. Most of the time that you cast you will not get a bite and will have to reel in and cast again. When you start fishing the overworld music stops and a more relaxing song plays. When you get a bite, the camera goes underwater and there’s this beautiful background! There are different ones depending on the terrain and stuff. The surface of the water in this screen has 3 layers of parallax scrolling! The fish pulls down and to the left and you wanna pull the fish all the way to the top and right. The fish will pull for a bit, during which time you basically just have to let it go, then it will slow down and eventually it stops. When you hold A you start pulling and the closer to totally stationary the fish was when you pressed it the less it will resist. So it’s basically just about not holding A too long and letting the fish pull a bit too. Extremely simple.

If a fish gets away it still tells you how big it was! Which is kinda mean but kinda cool. I like it.

It has random encounters? The monsters are like, cats and seagulls and stuff. There is a fist that will teleport to a different area on the screen every second or so, and you need to press A when the fist is on the animal to damage it. Where it is determines how much damage you do. Weird! Why do you gotta beat up cats and stuff??? I love that it says BEAT EAT RUN though.

Your HP is like an energy level. It decreases with every action. When it gets low a text box comes up that says “so tired ready to drop”. If you run out it says “finally keeled over” and you wake up in the nearest hotel with 1 HP. To replenish your HP you eat food or sleep at hotels. You cannot sleep in your mum’s house! The further away from home the more the hotel costs. When you sleep you go in the bed and your character takes his lil hat off and gets under the covers! Add this to the list in the single digits where a character in a videogames actually sleeps like a normal person.

You have this beautiful watch! Which I posted in the watch thread already.

You can also pick flowers! Oh yeah I mentioned this already hey. When you see flowers in the world you go into the menu and select PIC (cute). Then it comes up with a beautiful little scene with randomly placed flowers. I have encountered maybe 4 or 5 different looking scenes. You can then pick the flowers or water them. I don’t know what happens if you water them. Do they level up? Do more flowers grow?

Similarly, you can catch bugs! You can select BUG from the menu at any time. If there’s no bug around, it will say “Don’t seem to be any bugs around here…” and if there are bugs you get another scene (these are different to the flower scenes!) and there’s a bug. Sometimes when there’s no bug it still brings up the scene only to say there’s no bug and then goes back to the world again. Maybe if it doesn’t go into the scene it means there is never gonna be a bug there cause it isn’t a tile that has been designated as having-bugs? Not sure. The bug moves around and you have a little net cursor and you have to have the cursor over the bug and press A to catch it. It is trivially easy. I love it so much! I don’t know what SAP does I don’t have any. Maybe it attracts more bugs? Or the bug stops moving to eat it?

You can also dive for shellfish by selecting DIV in the menu! I assume this uses the same scenes as the fishing, but I haven’t actually been able to find any places where it brings up the scene yet! I am not at the ocean yet.

All the NPCs are very good. Getting enough money seems kinda hard! But I think that’s cause I’ve been exploring more than just sitting a spot and fishing all day kinda thing. Anyway this game is gorgeous and delightful and sorry for filling the servers with all these images! I cropped them at least.

19 Likes