Fanta's Finally Ixteen

I just wanna read heaps of posts about this. I dont keep up with the news thread.

It looks pretty boring right? Wheres the cg wheres the menus wheres the hyperfocus on image making. I miss the rigorous style guide that every post 2000s squeenix game had until this one. Was that a nomura thing? Guess it must have been. This game will never have any designer fashion collabs so whats the point. Theres not even any immaculately rendered mercurial liquids engulfing a character like come onnnn dude. Also theres only one lady???

Anyway wahooooo final fantasy

13 Likes

place your bets. crystals: good or bad???

9 Likes

stuff i liked in the trailer

• start to chocobo rating impressively low
  • final fantasy theme (medieval style cover) sounds good to me
  • this is not just Anime Fantasy, but Shiny Leather Fantasy, and it is high time this genre makes a comback
  • cutting from a blood-splattered gritty stabbing scene to a guy getting air juggled is exactly the kind of ludonarrative dissonance we deserve
  • despite the writing being horrible and impenetrable, i sort of feel like the world building of this being a realm where huge monsters and espers (“icons?” w/e) and shit are both kind of normal but also important plot elements for some reason i don’t understand yet is cool
  • crystals
  • face tats
19 Likes

They spell it as “Eikon” for some odd reason.

3 Likes

nice

4 Likes

fantasy is finally final

I always like when FF ties summoners into the plot in some way. Looks like summoning is some horrible curse in this one.

I do think this reveal kinda messed up the order since we kinda knew it was Final Fantasy from the get go but the logo reveal made it seem like a big deal too late.

Also I feel like the Amano logo illustrations have gotten more literal over time.

Like I think we saw this exact scene happen in the trailer?

1 Like

It looks like the first Final Fantasy since forever that’s not trying to be a trendsetter and I don’t like it

12 Likes

A quick note: these Eikons seem an awful lot like Primals/Eikons from FFXIV which are sentient super weapons used by people in desperation that are living incarnations of mythological figures in folklore that suck life force out of people and the planet itself to maintain existence.

No idea exactly how similar they’ll be in the actual game but that’ll give you some idea of what the team has done with similar concepts in the past.

5 Likes

Nearly everything really good about FFXIV is about execution and characterization. One especially notable thing is how everyone has pretty down to earth character motivations cast against completely ludicrous Final Fantasy Bullshit.

This gives me a lot of confidence that there’s more going on here than is apparent from the trailer.

5 Likes

the Eikons stuff is signalling that the game takes place in the extended Foodfight! universe. at the end of the game the little magic kid channels the power of the crystals to transform into Fido Dido.

4 Likes

it looks like game of thrones and i hate it

7 Likes

I really feel the OP! The hair technology is a major let down!

There’s no fashion or wanderlust or even craven nostalgia here.

It appears that this will also be back-to-back no girls allowed FF and that’s absurd given the audience in my experience, like Atlus going out of their way to piss off queer people.

Ivalice Alliance was my favorite FF aesthetic, but I can see arguments for any of the mainline games until this, which just doesn’t have the Final part.

6 Likes

It’s still early days and there may be more revealed that counters the style and setting shown so far. Like what if they go for a mid-game twist a la FFVI or IX and switch up the setting and themes. Given that we’re not seeing it again until 2021 and the average dev time of a mainline Final Fantasy is like 17 years now we might see more unusual stuff creep in.

1 Like

this one is going to be quick and dirty. they’re using the same engine and mechanics from XV/VIIR, and they’re shoveling it onto a team that is used to churning out content on a schedule.

4 Likes

another Finantasy comes to pass and it looks like Seymour will still retain the crown as Most Outrageous Hair Design in History

but if they secretly outdo it with a character in this game that they just haven’t shown yet then holy fuck I want to see that character more than I want anything

5 Likes

I was thinking about the hair too! The hair in ffxiii’s cg cutscenes is still the best animated hair of all time

4 Likes

my feelings are that i’ll be playing this on day one, but nothing i saw really wowed me. that said, i felt the same way about XV before i played it, and i thoroughly enjoyed that one.

the graphics seem pretty close to stuff we’ve already seen, but i also have to factor in that i’m not watching a 4K HDR trailer and so stuff is not gonna look as nice.

honesty, it felt reminscent of FFXIV in so many ways, i half expected them to announce that this one would be the new MMO.

I laughed at the first time the camera focused on one I was like “Yo FFVIII already did this”

1 Like

A step closer every day

Although the game this image is from is set in 2027…

8 Likes