FGC##201Xrd Reload[st] - Now on Steam! (Part 1)

Goes without saying that people using the web to create actual scenes around these dusty ass vidcons owns

5 Likes
1 Like

I think I’m gonna stop “playing” MK11 for a week or two (at least until Shang Tsung hits) so I can purge the habit of grinding towers and worrying about if I’m gonna be in the top 5% or whatever that week. Take a break, play other stuff, come back and actually learn/play the game.

At this point all I’m unlocking are different Kano eyes anyway!

Played some Samurai Shodown: Warrior’s Rage and Fatal Fury: Wild Ambition last night. Warrior’s Rage is awful, but Fatal Fury isn’t too terrible? Kinda clunky with a very touchy dodge mechanic, but it feels closer to the source than SS did.

I also downloaded a translated version of Tobal 2, so maybe I’ll finally mess with that dungeon mode, unlock a lot of completely impractical fighters.

Or not! Unlocking stuff is why I’m in the mess I’m in!

2 Likes

I’ll have access to my desktop in a couple of days. Gonna do a couple of things to it and then I’ll finally be able to try out Soul Caliber 6. I bought the game after watching Combobreaker. But, i’ve been stuck with my laptop for awhile, which can’t run SC6 at 60fps. And that game requires 60fps to be full speed.

Anyway, I’m also gonna try streaming some of it. It will be my first time ever streaming.

The goal is to get back into playing a fighting game and be semi-frequently streaming gameplay as I train up and get better. I’m moving to Philly soon and I hope to get into a scene there or at least in that region. Probably gonna be SC6 or Tekken 7.

I’d assume there’s a good scene there since I always saw posts about PA tournaments in my local FGC’s facebook pages. Big E also holds two major tournaments there, Northeast Championships and Summer Jam (and also Winter Brawl, which I think ended last year and got replaced by a new tournament called April Annihilation in New Jersey). You’ll also have a Round 1 nearby, the Japanese entertainment center chain that’s been expanding in the US. It’ll have fighting games and lots of JP exclusive arcade games.

1 Like

oh yeah I watched some of April Annihilation. Didn’t realize it was in Jersey!

DOA6 got a couple of KOF guest characters.

Was this officially confirmed beforehand or part of a leaklist?

“ShoWdown”

This is the kind of character SNK excels at.

4 Likes

I came across this last night

The PS4 port of Samurai Shodown 5 Special was patched this morning to add rollback netcode! Gonna have to buy this now.

1 Like

SamSho’s input lag has been halved from 8f to 4.01f. SNK literally flew one of their game designers to WydD’s home to have him test the new build. That is absolutely nuts.

6 Likes

what’s rollback netcode?

remains the most exciting fighting game development
give us a pc port
4 Likes

Third Strike: Abridged Edition

All of the SFX sound ripped from various CPS2/3 games (including 3S announcer) and has the sheer audacity to feature an anthropomorphic, bird-like woman doing actual Spinning Bird Kicks.

I want this!

1 Like

Has anybody mentioned Melty Blood itt because it’s maybe my favorite series

3 Likes

The common answer to this question is to just link to mauve’s write up http://mauve.mizuumi.net/2012/07/05/understanding-fighting-game-networking.html.

Someone please correct me what I get wrong on this:

Some quick points of reference, a popular implementation of rollback netcode was the PC emulator-turned-middleware GGPO, if you’ve heard that term thrown around. Some current games that use rollback netcode are

• NRS games starting with Mortal Kombat XL (so Injustice 2 and MK11)
  • Killer Instinct
  • Skull Girls
  • Samurai Shodown 5 Special on PS4 as of this past weekend
  • some more recent indie stuff like Rising Thunder, as well as some fan implementations for some PC indie fighters and emulators
  • and some of those 360 era Xbox live Capcom fighting game ports like 3rd Strike Online Edition and Darkstalkers Collection, both of which used GGPO
  • SF5 actually uses rollback too but apparently it’s implementation is kind of messed up

Delay based will be pretty much everything else and all fighting games before those.

Rollback netcode is an alternate implementation of online netcode from the “delay based” netcode that is typically used in fighting games. Someone correct me if I’m getting details wrong here, but they use different solutions to common issues that crop up in online play, such unstable connections leading to one player’s inputs arriving to their opponent later than expected due to a lossy wifi connection or players being really far apart.

Delay based netcode “delays” the game, pausing it while it waits for both players inputs. This is why many fighting games can feel laggy online or pause mid-match due to bad or unstable connections. You press a button and it takes maybe half a second for the attack to come out because your game is waiting to receive the opponent’s input from over the internet and the game delays itself while it waits.

Rollback netcode, on the other hand, uses a different technique to deal with unstable connections. Instead of pausing the game any time it’s waiting for inputs, it instead lets the game run at normal speed on your end. And once it receives your opponent’s input it rewinds, or “rolls back”, the game state to what actually should have happened and lets your opponent’s move play out.

The concept of rollback can sound weird when you first think about it but you should remember that these rollbacks are miniscule in time; you won’t notice them on good matches because the game is allowed to continue playing at normal speed at all times. On the other hand, delay based netcode can have you feel that tiny bit of delay even on good matches. So when you’re talking about having good connections already between players, rollback netcode will feel better than delay based netcode. Additionally, rollback increases the tolerance for what is considered a good connection, letting you play people from further away or with worse connections than you’d tolerate with a delay based netcode implementation. Rollback actually features a little bit of input delay built in, giving the game buffer space between inputs and results it can utilize when trying to hide rollbacks, but it’s a consistent and small input delay compared to the variable amount of input lag you’ll get with delay based netcode.

On an honestly bad connection, rollback netcode will make your opponent teleport across the screen and rewind the game constantly as it tries to sync with your opponent’s state. On delay based it can feel like everything is moving in slow motion and possibly freeze mid match. A bad connection is bad on both netcodes, but you can have more good connections with rollback and good connections will feel even better than what you get with delay based. Rollback has gained recognition among at least the Western FGC but it still isn’t recognized much as an issue in Japan. Due to country’s size and internet infrastructure I think delay based hasn’t caused the horrendous issues we run into here in the US and elsewhere so there hasn’t been an internal push for improvement on that front.

2 Likes

Flappy Fighter looks way better than it should and I’m still waiting for an android port.

Yeah, I think a lot of people here have played it!