FGC##201Xrd Reload[st] - Now on Steam! (Part 1)

Yeah, I think the only thing that hasn’t been patched out is bypassing the Shinnok Amulet thing.

1 Like

Well, I did it. I got all the damn heads (the lowered count + running the AI through the Survival tower did the trick). Now I just need to get about 1500 souls (plus 1500 more, because of course after spending 10000 souls you would need even more to craft an item) to open this one last door.

And I guess 6000 more if I want to cross The Pit and get the chest in the pond.

Well!!

Excited to finally play this damn game now. I know it sounds like a joke, but just knowing there was stuff gated away in that Krypt…couldn’t shake the thought. Had to get that out of the way.

Probably gonna keep trying with Jax and Johnny. Cassie feels too different from MKX for me to go back to.

2 Likes

I keep farming shit with AI towers of time all the time too. It’s horrible. When it’s there I just can’t help but use it.

Oh and about souls: I hear that you can farm Reptile for 200 souls a pop. You can get over 3000 souls per hour like this, allegedly. There’s a YouTube video that shows you the 10 spots he can be in and the optional routes to run. I’ll look for it again

this sounds like an absolutely joyless game

4 Likes

again you can just ignore this part and lose nothing

it is an excellent game

I’ve ignored all the other stuff and can confirm this.

However, the extra content seems well considered to me. They know a sizable portion of their audience doesn’t want to play competitively, so they’ve added these other features for their benefit. From everything I’ve heard, the extra game modes are super chill and low-stakes enough to serves as a way to blow off steam for the competitive people and also add an additional layer of engagement for the casuals.

Maybe I’m a rube but both the Krypt and the AI tower thing seem original/innovative to me because no other game has them? I was playing Candybox the other day and thinking to myself that a developer should absolutely implement this concept into a AAA title, so I’m really excited to see where it goes from here. Best believe Capcom is taking notes for their next SF game!

Also, Candybox is great for anyone who hasn’t played it yet

yeah, it’s just that all the discourse naturally assumes the perspective of someone who has the impulse control of the blue mage boss from final fantasy v, so if you make the best game ever and then you put “EAT SHIT - 7% COMPLETE” on the main menu then people are still going to be compelled by it

those people are the ones who buy aaa games, and they’ll be mad if they don’t have thousands of hours of boring chores to do

1 Like

well yeah but either it’s an ignorable contrivance or it’s not and I feel compelled to defend my favourite fighting game against accusations of joylessness

I’ve watched several videos but I can’t get the Shinnock’s amulet glitch to work in the Kytinn Hive. Any pointers? Is it like really finicky or should it work pretty easily?

Keep in mind that you have to exit to the main menu once you found Reptile at one of the locations to reset him. I’m doing this right now and it certainly works but I don’t know yet if it’s really 3000 souls/hour

Yeah, just to be clear, I’m pretty much at fault for sucking the enjoyment out of this game by diving hard into this aspect of it. I had a hell of a time playing the story mode and all that.

I just…I gotta catch 'em all, y’know?

And to their credit - at least this is just cosmetic stuff, and they didn’t lock an ability behind this grind. I got pretty lucky to get that Catwoman skill that made her viable in Injustice 2 early on, but some folks never did, even after hundreds of hours.

1 Like

everything about the making of this game sounds wildly unhealthy

4 Likes

sounds like someone owes joe lieberman an apology

anyway as we discussed earlier itt I do think there has been a very positive shift from like, Saw-type exploitative violence in the past couple of releases to more Final Destination-type camp in this one and I would be sad if that got lost in the discourse around crunch and trauma

Combined with all the other stories coming out of the studio, I’m trying to imagine spending 80 hours a week watching snuff films as a temp, huddled in a cramped room, fine tuning a fatality, as some dude pisses with the door open a few feet away.

I doubt they’d ever risk burning that bridge, but seeing as Giant Bomb has Ed Boon on their E3 show nearly every year, it’d be nice if they sort of, uh, took him to task on this.

3 Likes

yeah I mean definitely hold their feet to the fire over the labour stuff and rousey, it just bums me out a little that the discourse is increasingly tilting it toward being remembered as Problematic to the point where praising it seems like poor taste, because so much of MORTAL KOMBAT 11 is unusually sensible and decent and good-natured and I don’t trust that message to get across separate from the rest.

1 Like

I mean, the Krypt has been in MK games for going on 15 years at this point, so I doubt Capcom will notice.

1 Like

what truly is the quantitative difference between exploitative hyperviolence and camp hyperviolence? length of the murder cutscenes?

2 Likes

fwiw i’m not taking issue with mk’s depiction of violence as much as a work culture where everyone is watching snuff films for inspiration to the point that they’re experiencing constant nightmares and intrusive thoughts & management seems oblivious about the toll

also i’m not trying to say folks can’t like the game or anything, i’m just mad that anyone has to go through this to make it

4 Likes

a lot, actually! I know I’m abnormally dedicated to trying to preserve, like, good taste in bad taste, which is why I’m dying on this hill, but I think how you choose to stage the shots, the angles you cut away from, whether you go out of your way to avoid anything that could be construed as sexual violence, etc, make a huge difference to whether it’s being played for comedy or whether it feels gross.