FGC##201Xrd Reload[st] - Now on Steam! (Part 1)

lol

3 Likes

i just can’t get enough of this shit haha like the “don’t do it!” cracks me up every time

1 Like

Other than how beautifully hype that trailer was (From what I saw from the Netherrealm people on Twitter, they thought bringing back the theme made sense since the game is about Time Travel and the Remix was done by Demitri Vegas). The game looks incredible. I played the beta on Xbox One X and NRS are absolute masters of their craft. It looks downright amazing.

I am very interested to see how competitive play works out for MK 11 because one of the best parts of the beta was figuring out a load out that suits you (There was a Kabal loadout that was pretty OP though it required a bit of effort to get going which was the trade off. Kabal’s normals are bad) But having a way to design your loadout makes for way more interesting choices. I was able to load out Baraka into being a defensive tank, a rush-down monster or a straight up grappler. He still had his character based weaknesses (While my rush down loadout was great. It was ridiculously unsafe).

I think in a tournament setting since you are only picking two-three moves and its visible to the opponent that they should do a QOL change and make a “Quick Select”. May make blind picking a hassle but I’d rather see it than the current “Tournament Variations”.

1 Like

Can someone explain why the whole internet has strong opinions about Stryker?

I always assumed he was the most disposable MK character ever, so I am curious about this as well.

1 Like

I just bought the game on the strength of this trailer, which means that in 2019 I am more enthusiastic about a mortal kombat game than a fromsoft title

next time one of you implies that I somehow think of my or the forum’s taste as rarefied remember I’m a huge idiot

3 Likes

Reviews for it seem to be mostly positive but unlock progression of new skins and stat gems (not used in ranked fights) is apparently way grindier and more bullshit then people had previously feared with plenty of nudging for you to buy a few Kombat Bucks to skip all that.

If I had money I’d buy it too because the story mode seems cool, I watched 20 minutes of it. Someday I’ll test my might

1 Like

yeah, I read that and whether or not it was the intention of the developers or the reviewers, it made it sound like everything bad is quarantined in one ignorable mode and everything else is good!

also snuck into GMG offering me 30% off a last day preorder so that’s nice, hope I don’t hate it

so far: I can’t win a single round above normal difficulty. also everyone says it’s much slower than the prior game and it feels super duper fast to me

it feels like a more technical and more traditional fighting game than I’ve played in ages? more than tekken 7 which was pretty loose and intuitive. it turns out that I have no problem with this when it’s attached to goofy 90s properties though. what happened to goro and why is liu kang a zombie

the story mode is a lot like watching a very gory episode of power rangers

1 Like

Spending the time to watch 9 and X’s story modes on youtube is good.

Binged the story mode. It’s an interesting take on the MK mythos I like the idea that the act that finally stops the time loop between Liu Kang and Raiden is an act of forgiveness than killing each other though it has a few plot holes. Otherwise, game plays great. Looks great. Has some questionable progression though apparently they are going to address that as soon as today (Though speaking from experience it’s not the worst MK in terms of progression. Deadly Alliance and Deception were awful grinds). If you’re not a MK Devotee I’d wait for the Komplete edition. But it plays really well. The emphasis on short combos over long 50/50 strings really makes a huge difference and I love the movement not being constant jump in or safe teleport based since most characters normals that can either close the gap or have good range.

Also the Tutorial is up there with GGXrd, Skullgirls and Killer Instinct. If it wasn’t for the dodgy monetization which is apparently being “Fixed” as soon as today and it’s genuinely disgusting at times (D’Vorah’s fatalities are just No), it would be a hard recommend

1 Like

There have been two posts on this forum about Stryker since I asked and no one has answered I don’t get it.

Stryker is a dude whose MK9 intro was “Police brutality, coming up!,” which plays less well in 2019 than it maybe did in 2011, if at all.

Anyway he’s…he’s OK? I feel like MK9 made him pretty fun to use. I just remember him as the nerd in the backwards cap who shot a pistol like a machine gun in UMK3.

His MK9 X-Ray has maybe the best sound effect in any game of 2011, though. That “booooong” of the night stick is just…very good Foley work.

Anyway Kronika is an infuriating boss (at least as the Towers go, I haven’t gotten that far in the story). She swaps out with other fighters at the first and second third of her health loss (they have reduced health/take a ton of damage, but still!), and she can’t be knocked down or hit with Fatal Blows. Nothing like knocking her into her last third of health and getting taken out.

She can also send a T-Rex after you. It’s some bullshit.

1 Like

I didn’t know Stryker was a “thing”. I’m sure he has some fans but I always saw him as just a guy in a t-shirt and a backwards baseball cap who had bad shooting posture. I always thought he was dumb.

If this is your first time playing a modern NRS game then yeah, it might take a little getting used it because they’re a unique combination between 2D fighter and 3D fighter concepts. The thing that took most getting used to was how you couldn’t just poke with normals. You need some level of commitment to a combo string if you want to get meaningful rewards off a hit or to make a poke safe. So I’m gonna sit down in training mode and find a few moves for specific utilities:

1. A combo string that starts with a long reaching normal, to punish someone from a distance.
  2. A combo string that starts with a very fast normal, to punish people after blocking their attack
  3. A combo string that can end being safe on block or a special move that’s safe on block, if I want to play it safe and aren’t sure if I’ll hit the opponent or not
  4. A combo string that ends in a launcher or a special move that causes launch (which probably requires Amplifying in MK11), for moments when I know for sure I can punish someone and want to do more damage.

(Am I missing any main utilities here?)

I imagine the reason why someone would say MKX was faster than 11 is because MKX had running and a stronger emphasis on low/overhead mixups into knockdowns. You knock someone down, do a strong mixup, knock them down again, run into their face, and repeat.

Conversely 11 specifically went out of its way to reduce the emphasis on the wakeup and mix-up games and instead enhanced the basic ground-based neutral phase of combat. Walk speeds are faster and characters have longer reaching normals, letting you more easily bait someone’s attack and then punishing them from a distance. I imagine attack properties have changed to push characters into farther distances compared to previously as well. It’s still plenty fast but you have more personal breathing room around your character compared to MKX, where you could always stay in each other’s faces.

yeah it feels heavily geared toward bait/punish strategies in a way that I intellectually understand when people talk about other fighters but which always seem to be taking place at a greater level of abstraction than I’m going to reach by just playing intuitively. this part I like!

but I am definitely getting the “if you weren’t going to combo, you shouldn’t have even bothered attacking” sense, which I would actually be less intimidated by if I hadn’t played the tutorial and been taught those really fast and seemingly arbitrarily complex dial-a-combos. at this point I’m just trying to figure out characters’ supers and do, like, XXY

also from like an hour of fooling around with random matches and the very beginning of the story mode I am so far only even halfway decent with the women characters because they’re faster and (just like in 3S) I tend to fall back on mobility when I don’t know what I’m doing

yeah the whole package is pretty nice isn’t it?

lots of literalized mechanics and feels/looks right, and I’m saying that as someone who is squarely in the “nostalgia grab” audience for this that I’m still impressed they made such an effort for this time

also in addition to the incredible jax ending, The Horrible Audience is apparently upset that they made the characters’ tits smaller, so buy with confidence

1 Like

The training mode is just introducing you to concepts to think about. It doesn’t expect you to memorize those combo strings because it’s hopping between characters and every character has different moves. They’re just things to keep in mind when learning whatever character you actually feel like playing.

I’m not completely sure what you mean by “if you weren’t going to combo, you shouldn’t have even bothered attacking” - do you mean if you aren’t doing to do a full combo string then you shouldn’t do a single, one hit attack? Or that moves aren’t doing enough damage unless you’re doing a really long juggle combo?

The only way I can see anyone getting upset about Jax’s ending is that it plays the whole slavery thing pretty casually! But yeah, sure, “white genocide,” ha.

Also these are probably as good of designs as these characters have ever had. But seeing as two games ago Sonya was pretty much two gigantic boobs shoved into a vest (and the rest of the women of the MK9 cast not much better), of course that particular crowd is gonna gnash and thrash.

1 Like