FGC##201Xrd Reload[st] - Now on Steam! (Part 1)

Good lord it is bad.

Most of the dialog is just announcing other characters names. Hopefully someone makes a supercut by tomorrow of just character names.

I really like some MvC character endings so I feel like there must be some combination out there that works. Maybe just BlazBlue-style VN is the only way?

There’s too much Stuff going on this year. Particularly Dragon Ball FighterZ and that new anime-lookin game with Umihara Kawase (what) and Cave Story characters in it

I wish I had way more money than I currently do

I think the only marvel story mode I would be interested in is one that marvel had no input on. So pretty much a VN marvel 2 focusing on marrow, ruby heart, amingo, son son and cable. The writing in mvci is legitimately fan-fiction tier.

Imagine it: In early '97, after taking a few days off of crunch time development to sample various other works for inspiration - notably STI’s '95 Megadrive kusoge classic Comix Zone, lead staff decide to delay 'till winter the then-planned-for-summer Marvel Super Heroes vs Street Fighter to allow time for collaboration with key Dungeons and Dragons creatives on a narrative branching single player mode.

1 Like

The story is justified if it sets up Squirrel Girl’s later inclusion.

Examu launched a Kickstarter to fund a PC port of Arcana Heart 3 LoveMax SixStarS!!!. SixStarS was a balance update with one new character+arcana and I feel like the PC port will just be the existing LoveMax content with these additions but there are stretch goals to add additional new characters and a new story mode. On the off chance this kickstarter succeeds they’re planning for a release this December.

Also this past weekend UNIST was announced for US release this year. You can thank me for preordering the JP version last week.

2 Likes

Anyone gonna Darkstalkers Resurrection it this month? I am hooking up my PS3 tonight for it.

Holy shit this game is kind of ugly and inaccessible. The sprites and pixels are all gorgeous on their own, but there’s a weird muddling going on. I had Third Strike on my PS3 so I played that for a bit, and it was way better appreciated. I think it also downloaded P4UA, so, yeah I’ll be playing that for my FG fix.

@mods please ban

What do you mean by muddling? Did you find the characters blending in to the backgrounds too much? I haven’t played the PS3 port in a while but I don’t recall any particular issues. I’ll fire it up tonight and see. It’s a good game!!!

1 Like

Let’s just play on Fightcade.

“Inaccessible” I’ll give – Vampire Savior is a game filled with some of the tightest, most obnoxious inputs of its era (TECH HIT) and just plain weird mechanics – but ugly, come on!

1 Like

Haha, I don’t know how serious my problems are, but I was expecting a classic 2D FG with interesting character designs, but here are my very superficial problems:

1. Character designs remind me of NES Castlevania. In a post Guilty Gear world where there’s coherent character and world building, I’m having a hard time accepting a step past Hollywood Monster Movie design.

2. The saturation is a bit over the top. I know this isn’t the case in every scene, but sometimes it’s really distracting.

3. For cool wacky stuff I find that really fast animation is the same as uh… cropping hands or feet. I get that the game is supposed to be fast, but I think that is at odds with the elaborate ridiculousness. I want more animation frames not less.

4. I’m sure I didn’t spend enough time with it.

https://twitter.com/spacetwinks/status/808150425111318528

I’ve never gotten down and dirty with VSav but it’s a very manic and frantic game. It’d be hard to squeeze more frames in and keep the pace. I enjoy the cartoony pace and style of Vsav. Feels more loony tunes.

1. Get
  2. the
  3. fuck
  4. out

I don’t really like playing Vampire games

1 Like

Oh yeah, I dislike this part, too.

Edit: Sorry, I’ll be more specific than “Looney Tunes isn’t my jam”.

A bear turning and smiling is one thing. But in a game where you’re casting magic to turn into flaming bats I think a little bit more exposition is welcome.

I think you’re right, though. You can’t really stick more frames into the game because it’s already so fast paced. But I think that’s a problem of the art director not syncing up w/ the gameplay designer. The animation style is very much classic cartoon animation, but the speed at which the game is played is way too fast to showcase all of the little details.

Glad to see even the SB FGC is so welcoming. Thanks, boo.

You know that quote about how if you run into assholes all day…

Maybe the problem isn’t the FGC or FGs, y’know?

All these posts read like…I dunno, you stumbled into a Fellini movie and started complaining about how it’s in black and white and not dubbed and oh yeah it doesn’t make any sense. Maybe you just…don’t like FGs? That’s okay.

1 Like

Oh, whoa, I’m being the asshole here?

Nah, your opinion is reasonable even if I don’t agree with it.

How did complaining specifically about Vampire Savior get warped into complaining about all fighting games? VSAV is a very stylized game, and I would say some of the things that were complained about are selling points for other kinds of people (myself included). If people are turned off by that, then there are other fighting games out there for them to play that may be more in line with their aesthetic preferences. I don’t think disliking VSAV’s visuals automatically disqualifies you from the genre entirely.

i agree, the best looking fighting game is arcana heart so you should pay $25 into the kickstarter which has somehow hit almost $70K in two and a half days

There’s an article called Darkstalkers and the 12 Principles of Animation that always gets bandied about when Darkstalkers comes up in conversation. I’ve always been too lazy to read it but maybe it might Enhance Your Appreciation of the game. (I think Victor was just being cheeky, especially because he ends by saying he doesn’t like playing it either (Vampire is the Japanese name for Darkstalkers))

3 Likes