Fatigued Souls (Part 1)

I bought Demon’s Souls when Atlus was having a deal on a soundtrack CD free with it. The soundtrack CD is mastered poorly and has an audible faint whine at all times, so I just listen to youtube.

Pretty much the whole soundtrack is great but some of them I kind of don’t want to hear on their own, like Armor Spider or Leechmonger.

Maneater’s theme is the best horrifying fight of attrition music.

i give 0 fucks, this music is great

idk the melody starting at :57 is amazing

Demon’s OST has never been equalled. It’s the scope. It’s like a 20 piece orchestra maybe, and like 8 singers? The small stuff really sounds small, and the big stuff is a chamber orchestra screaming against its size to impress. Music for a dying world.

2 Likes

this tune, on the other hand, deserves any and all criticism lobbed its way:

90% pointless bombast

there are some dissonant elements that i dig but otherwise it’s shallow and bland

Sadly, we’ve had this exact conversation before, so i don’t think there’s anything more to say. I simply love that the archdemon themes in Demon’s Souls are slow, creepy and tense, and not “EPIC!!!”

Though, i still haven’t played Bloodborne yet but it’s funny how many of the bosses i have watched clips of that are the coolest to me also have the best BGMs

I played up to the first boss at which point “I have nothing to prove in this series anymore” kicked in and I just watched somebody else play the rest on twitch. It has a level design motif of turretish-type things killing you based on line-of-sight which is at least somewhat fresh and OK. The bosses and art direction are 100% forgettable, and even within its short length it manages to feel incoherent as a journey (distorted wreckage, city, swamps, desert, dragon, angels and demons). I think overall everyone’s intuition of “meh, why bother” is on the mark.

Should i buy King’s Field 4 for ~$30 on amazon?

I’ll give you my copy if you agree to meet up with me in a dark church

recorded myself playing dark souls 2 and talking over it

probably not as interesting as y’all would hope, not feeling my most insightful today but i hope you can tell how much i enjoy the game

7 Likes

If you haven’t played it, I’d recommend King’s Field 2 (just King’s Field US) over 4. Both have a similar amount of mechanical primitiveness and 2 gets out the gate with fresher concepts (inflated squid boys, lonely lighthouse stargazine over skellingtons and lave pits). 4 is a slow burn and took me a couple hours for it to really bite.

1 Like

4 is probably the least compelling KF to start with just by nature of being on PS2, which doesn’t play to the games’ strengths at all. It comes across better if you’ve played the previous games first, imo

I’ve played a bunch of King’s Field 1 and 2, i really really like them. I haven’t ever had a chance to try 4 but it looked cool and for the first time in awhile it’s affordable, so i thought i’d ask after it

I wish i could play Shadow Tower Abyss it looks amazing to me

Hmm. i have no guarantee you won’t turn into a giant werebeast and try to tear my whole body off though… deal

Just now remembering some video where a person criticized this boss by saying ‘IT SHOOTS A LASER BUT ITS VISUAL DESIGN DOESN’T EVEN SUGGEST THAT!!!’ like… okay. I guess the mandate now is that a good boss has to suggest all of its attack options by its appearance. Your Character Design Isn’t Good Unless it’s Immediately Recognizable in Silhouette, blah blah blah, neo-utilitarianism, burp. Wasn’t it this vid where he complains about the Doors of Pharros’ covenant trap because it is bewildering and Not Fair even though that’s exactly what is good about it, tbh prob the only good thing about the Doors of Pharros, otherwise over too quickly and too linear for a Moria knockoff

Yeah, those are silly complaints. Freja a) looks cool, suggests a narrative, b) has good foreshadowing over a half-hour level, c) has varied, interesting attacks, d) is hard while not being overwhelmingly reflex-based, e) scales well to multiple players.

It’s a good boss!

oh god that video is giving me an aneurysm

1 Like

Yeah, you shouldn’t watch it, you of all people will probably explode the hardest

There’s some extremity at which the Souls games as difficult mechanical objects will always chafe against the idea that they’re mysterious and obscure thematic objects. The beauty lay where these two ideas comfortably meet, not in demanding a more puritan alignment with one ideal at the expense of the other.

I don’t care for Freja but that’s admittedly because the last time i fought her i used an ascetic so i could get the best coolest sword in the game. Those little spiders being able to 2-shot you is pretty rough.

highly recommend watching this video while enjoying a healthy snack and maybe drinking some water

i v. much prefer your lowkey narration to every other let’s play thing i’ve attempted to watch