Fatigued Souls (Part 1)

Controversial: games should have some gimmicky and some non gimmicky bosses

I feel somewhat ungrateful for experiencing enough Souls fatigue to not even bother to play DS3’s DLC.

Dark Souls was with no hyperbole my favourite game like ever, even though I was 25 when I played (everyone’s best game ever is supposed to be the big one they played when they were 12)

2 Likes

my favorite game is Gex: Enter the Gecko

2 Likes

Orphan of Kos is another final duel boss that’s an extension of the environment. And “epic” isn’t the first word that comes to mind for a battle against a newborn

New DkS3 DLC is particularly poor at this. What do demons have to do with anything. And the last guy charges up with lightning as the music swells

i love this

alonne and fume knight are so tightly choreographed. the devs get you to dance just so

like a puppet.

i can understand not wanting to be their puppet! i can also understand not wanting to learn a dance if every time you miss a step they cut you right in the face

seriously check out this wittle baby boy

Its just a series of semirandomized quicktime events if any mistake is an instant game over.

i mean, that would suck, i guess

but you have a health bar in souls!

My favorite Souls bosses are the ones in Shrine of Storms. They’re all very easy, conceptually compelling and have cool/unusual arena design.

Seriously no amount of Artorias dodging has ever been as exciting to me as creeping around the Old Hero as he swings blindly and screams in rage, or as exhilarating as knocking flying manta monsters out of the sky with the Storm Ruler

2 Likes

What does it matter if every attack takes off your entire healthbar!

not sure which boss you’re talking about. never had that happen to me once in scholar that i recall… maybe if you go SL1 or something?

i literally just posted a video of me slopping my way through fume knight

far from perfect, took tons of damage, but persevered

I’m talking about the series as a whole, they always shove one of those bosses in (bloodborne has like five bosses that I only beat by playing perfectly because I didn’t feel like pumping up vitality in exclusion to all else)

Guys you just have to roll into them it works every time

1 Like

Roll into them and stab them in the butt

Select Button
probably disqualified from talking about anything ever

2 Likes

oh shit, nice

scholar > bb confirmed

1 Like

oh good are you playing it? I was hoping I could at least rely on you for some clear-cut impressions

I mean this is definitely a huge part of why they exhaust me too

Gael progressing from weirdo hunchback to SSJ2 Guts is :braces self against dust cloud speckled with lightning bolts: :hnng!!!: :this guy – !!!: :to have achieved such power – !!!: fucking dumb

You go through a loopy desaturated stone maze, through a fog gate, and suddenly you’re face to face with a lone swordsman in a simple room and the music is fucking screaming ‘DIES IRAE!!!’ Nothing has built up to this, this guy is not important at all to the game’s narrative, the music just has to be Most Epic Epic Ever because if it’s not how else will Pro Gammer feel the thrill of the hunt and Prepare to Cry. Everything is the most important fight ever

Once again, Demon’s Souls

No exaggeration, literally the worst part of Dark Souls 3 is having to hear three seconds of its main menu theme before pressing start and having the saved volume settings kick in

1 Like

Put me down for Demon’s bosses rule

My favorite boss is False King though, who is the epitome of the epic duel boss. Contrast is a thing. The impression I was left with after playing Dark 2 for the first and only time was, holy shit, that was a lot of bosses.

The music in Demon’s is striking and offbeat relative to the (maybe progressively) rote boss themes in Darks.

I love the reeds in the Adjudicator theme, for example.

2 Likes