Fatigued Souls (Part 1)

I wouldn’t mind an excuse not to get the remaster right away, because my PS Plus expires right before its release and I can’t justify renewing it for the little I play games online unless there’s a discount at some point.

Though I was willing to put up with Silent Hill HD Collection, so I guess I have a high tolerance for lackluster upgrades (if that’s what this turns out to be). (Actually, after a series of patches, those Silent Hill games were not so bad. The lake water in Silent Hill 2 still looked strange, but because it was so strange I kind of liked it.)

On the other hand, Super Mario All-Stars was too much for me. On seeing this, I turned it off and resolved to stick to the originals.

smas

3 Likes

They aren’t even allowing anyone to preview play Blighttown.

I will let that speak for itself.

pretty sure they remade all of it from scratch

In a strange move, the Switch version looks to be a pretty straightforward port, with textures and visual effects looking like the original.

oh wow that would actually be great news! if they didn’t bother rewriting anything and just recompiled the PC code on the switch

I was worried the switch version would just be a bog standard port, while the other consoles got a much more elaborate overhaul.
Now I am kind of hoping that is the case.

2 Likes

Yeah, I am actually pretty hyped about the Switch version. Honestly, if it just the original console version with a slightly less unpredicatable framerate, I will be happy.

Playing DS2 on PC convinced me 60 fps is too high for these games and makes everything feel a touch artificial, so a stable 30 fps Switch version that maintains the dreamy lighting of the original could be an ideal version of the game (depending how one feels about the Switch controllers).

2 Likes
3 Likes

Blighttown is a good level.

Yeah, ports are fine. Remasters just muddy the waters.

Still honestly baffling why it’s always the visuals that are deemed important (I know why they’re deemed important - it’s just an obnoxious non-reason because the same people who spend all their time dicking with that stuff are going to buy every copy of the game they love regardless of how it looks). I’d be much more for improved sound quality and QoL stuff (making it easier to find equipment in the mess Dark Souls calls a UI for one).

Given the new bonfire next to the fire blacksmith, I wouldn’t be surprised if they improved QoL in a few other ways, e.g. soul items could be changed to sell to merchants/Frampt at use value like they do in DkS3.

What’s the point of that? (I’m dumb).

In DkS1 you can spend a solid minute or two waiting on animations to cash in soul items one at a time. Particularly if you sit on low-level soul items until the late game, it’s hardly even worth the time to use them by then. In DkS2 they added a special multi-use UI for it and in DkS3 they just solved it with merchants

Ah, ok. They added the ability to consume multiple of a soul item at one time. Maybe of any item? It’s been a few days since I looked at a list of additions.

1 Like

there’s multi-use ui in this remaster yeah

i’d really like a build respec mechanic more than anything

1 Like

i didn’t mind the lack of respecs in demon’s souls because it was a pretty short game to make a character in

i was very thankful for it in dark souls 2 because it takes a long time to bootstrap a character properly in that game

dark souls 1 i probably replayed the least of the games so i’m not sure where i stand on it there.

but i will say that i think it depends a lot on the multiplayer viability of the game. for a single player game it’s fine to just say ‘start over’ or ‘roll with your bad choices.’ for an mp game it’s a whole other ballgame to say ‘you can play properly only after you spend another few dozen hours.’ and i think my opinions on das1 as a multiplayer game precede me at this point, so i probably come down on the side of not caring about respecs in it

looks like the Switch version got pushed back to ‘Summer 2018’

hey, dark souls remastered is out.

a japanese let’s player lost the video recording to his first playthrough of dark souls(ever) on it, so he drew it by hand:

8 Likes

1 Like