Fatigued Souls (Part 1)

dark souls 3 is apparently on psn flash sale for $26 and i just finished bloodborne so uh hm.

2 Likes

dark souls 3 is worth it for a few really great nuggets of stage design stuffed inside anā€¦ unfinished whole

one of the endings is really great to me as well but iunno if itā€™s enough to save it

DSII scholar is on sale for like ten bucks so iā€™m thinkin it might be time to have a look

1 Like

When I first started playing Dark Souls I thought the Undead Burg would be the whole game.

4 Likes

Thereā€™s a lot of perspectives that shift in the light of ever contrasting DS 1-3. Iā€™ve only played through 2 once, the others many times over. So I donā€™t recall itā€™s depths nearly as well and Iā€™m going to change my tune a little once I play Scholar.

To me though, 3 actually came off the most ā€œcompleteā€ as a project, even with the usual mysteries and gaps in design or dev, intentional or not.

That might be a result of the tired, conclusive, sense behind it, but for all the ash and dust, it also showed some of the finest polish.

1 Like

Yeah, I canā€™t agree. Maybe DS3 suffers from turd-polishing syndrome. I mean, it certainly has the least mechanical jank and in some places has extremely good level design. Also, the one ending (linking the fire) is a small and short moment that is enormous in its import and irony and totally sells the thesisā€™s of the game. itā€™s super great. As a container of fiction, though, as a a place, ds3 is a lot of promise and little delivery. To me, it is rich with evidence of laziness, of cut corners and forgotten threads, feels ironically like Miyazaki and co absconded from their thrones and turned away from their duty before it was done.

Part of what makes souls games interesting in a narrative sense is the multitudes of tiny stories they contain, and how despite their small scale each of these stories are complete enough that putting them together like a jigsaw gives the world you traverse a sense of history. The tiny mysteries have weight to them. In DS3, despite the narrative emphasis on history (this extremely long, cyclical, and Sisyphean history,) there are ironically a wealth of beginnings to small stories and mysteries, but there are only a handful of them that are complete enough to seem like they might have, like, a point. the rest of them are incomplete and kind of inconsequential instead of mysterious and rich. Itā€™s hyper focused on aldrichā€™s arc (seasoned w/ lazy references to ds1) to the point where I sincerely think they ran out of time to plan the rest of the game.

And the mysteries and histories that they do attempt to build are cheap. frankly, that firelink shrine shit is a hard eyeroll in my book. Itā€™s lazy. itā€™s fake mystery. It has nothing to contribute to the gameā€™s atmosphere as a whole except ironic novelty. itā€™s confusing for confusionā€™s sake. It doesnā€™t even seem like it was intended to be an ironic mystery or the red herring of a plot thread that it is, it just seems like they couldnā€™t communicate whatever they tried to communicate well enough to give it any narrative or emotional weight.

Itā€™s like a conversation with a friend where they drop enough juicy secret convo bait that you need to say out loud ā€œoh, now you have to tell meā€ and your friend just gets up and walks away and you never ever see them ever again, thatā€™s what DS3 does over and over and over

ā€˜Ironyā€™ and ā€˜cheapā€™ comes up a lot when I think about why this game is kinda meh, I guess thatā€™s worth pointing out too.

4 Likes

DS3 is like opening a Russian doll and finding a restaurant cheque and a mint inside of it instead of another doll

4 Likes

get shrekt, PS2

5 Likes

i wanted to talk about the Undead Burg as a first level in response to @BustedAstromech 's posts upthread, which ftr i thought were observant, cogent and well-informed. I could absolutely see where he was coming from, even if i mostly donā€™t agree.

When i first played Dark Souls (which for context i played before Demonā€™s, back when 2 had just been announced) i found the burg incredibly grueling and difficult, to the point where it was almost demoralizing. Now itā€™s routine and breezy; i can get from Firelink to Andre in about 10-15 minutes, easily. i think itā€™s an incredibly elegant and fair level, and what makes it so hard for a first-timer is that itā€™s more about teaching you how to play Dark Souls in a meta sense. Itā€™s as much about how not to play, and what to do when you donā€™t succeed, as it is about showing you how to succeed.

i died so many times over at that first aqueduct encounter, in retrospect because i was doing things like trying to spam attacks, or rushing into the middle of the group and getting stunlocked. On that bridge encounter by the bonfire, if you say ā€œfuck itā€ and just rush in, without the intimate knowledge of enemy placement that you get from repeated playthroughs you will get blasted apart and/or stabbed to death by like, four enemies at once. The whole burg level is telling you to slow the fuck down and pay attention, and that is almost literally all you need to do in order to succeed. The fixed, chesslike placement of enemies, their individual fragility (theyā€™re mostly only threatening in numbers) and their susceptibility to being pulled back through the level means that a slow, retreating approach works really well, and itā€™s what the game is funnelling you toward. Even beating Taurus is based on pulling back, not just to use that tower but in the fight itself (itā€™s very easy to beat Taurus by backpedaling out of his attack range on the bridge and stepping in to hit him, over and over).

The key point of contrast with 1-1 is that you have to clear 1-1 in order to progress the game, and there is no way to level out of it. You are being taught how to play Demonā€™s Souls, and you must learn how to play, and demonstrate youā€™ve learned, in order to progress. (And, weirdly for the series, you also have to go engage with the plot for a second ā€“ i always forget the part where youā€™re expected to meet the Monumental before you can level up.)

In Dark Souls, for however much the Burg is a harder first level, you can always go back to Firelink and rest. You can go back and scrape together a level or two for more HP. You can explore and find the undead merchant, and get a shortbow and some chainmail armor with poise, and suddenly youā€™re doing a little better against basic mooks. You can go down to New Londo and fall in love with the estoc. Or take a risky dash through the graveyard and come out swinging a zweihander. You can cheese that first black knight with firebombs from the rooftops, and now youā€™re packing his big badass sword. Thereā€™s a lot hidden just off the beaten path that can enable a player to completely crush the first few levels with little issue.

Dark Souls is built on strategic retreat and backtracking. ā€œGo back to Firelinkā€ is so central to the game that you have to do it in order to see the final boss. That, plus the game is about player discovery and self-expression. By resisting your progress in the first areas, the game encourages you to engage with its macro-structure more and empower yourself by expanding your knowledge. ITā€™S SO GOOD!! FUCK!! NOW I REMEMBER WHY I LIKE THIS SERIES SO MUCH

16 Likes

Yeah! Also the Undead Merchant sells the Reinforced Club which is a low-durability and overpowered weapon you can use to club through burg (and maybe they expected you to switch after that, but I had a run where I just kept using it the whole game).

For the slow, pick off strategy though, that applies much more strongly to 1-1 in some ways. An invisible but huge improvement in Dark Souls combat as opposed to Demonā€™s is that Dark Souls has an aggro grouping system where waking one enemy always wakes all of its friends as well, and this is used by the Burg hollow teams. In Demonā€™s, there is clearly an engine limitation where aggro is a cylinder around the player that always affects one enemy at a time. So most encounters in Demonā€™s can be handled by inching forward, standing ground and cutting down, repeat. Only ranged enemies who themselves stand their ground complicate matters and force retreats or rushing forward in Demonā€™s.

In Burg itā€™s much more nuanced, you actually have to retreat into chokepoints to make this work. I had the strong intuition to try something like that after playing Demonā€™s so that obviously helped me with Burg (which was still not a cakewalk though), even though my Demonā€™s experience harmed me in other ways by making me devalue shields and misunderstand poise.

Youā€™re right that those encounters are designed to teach the player, but they are much compressed over similar encounters in Demonā€™s 1-1. The grassy hill and aqueduct are beautiful, the archer bridge is functional, but my big concerns are the level post-bonfire, especially how it interacts with prior level content.

When I was analyzing these levels for lectures I started to compare the teaching relationship to Super Mario Bros. 1-1 next to SMB3ā€™s 1-1; SMB3 holds many of the same lessons but compresses them in recognition of its carried audience. Those old games could rely on players replaying the beginning again and again to absorb lessons passed over too quickly, a feature modern games lack, but which is interestingly replicated by the Souls games high difficulty and insistence on repeating progress.

I like thinking about the game giving the player an option to retreat and alternate rather than locking them into Boletaria. That feels like a decision about pacing and narrative made for Demonā€™s that they later realized wasnā€™t necessary. Beyond that initial Boletaria lock-in, though, Demonā€™s is much more open in the front 40%.

Good catch on the aggro behavior, that continues to snare me as itā€™s not foolproof ā€“ you can certainly still Practice Safe Aggro Pulls in Dark but what you get feels more random. I think these half-measure to combat cheap play only increased variability until they fully committed to aggressive gameplay in Bloodborne, and built structures to support it.

3 Likes

The dialogue between the player and the enemy AI has been getting richer and more nuanced with every game in the series, with more and more mutual understanding.

In Demonā€™s, the player often seems to be ignoring and talking past the entire encounter design, using the exact same few magic phrases every time (aggro manip and stunlock). In DkS1, that can still happen, but the phrases vary and are more clever and need to be looked for. Sometimes the reverse happens too ā€” the enemies ignore what the player is trying to do and callously crush them.

By Bloodborne and DkS3, the dialogue persistently has a nuance that only happened serendipitously in DkS1 and Demonā€™s. Each tactic that a player might try usually works to some degree and if executed well. Over time, the player will find enemies that require fresh thinking, and discover that as their precision improves, their interlocutorā€™s likewise does. Enemies pause, sidestep, track your rolls, resist poise break, reach over your shield, cooperate in manageable groups. The player is carefully denied tools that would bust the maximum damage budget or manipulate aggro, except as very limited one-time items (e.g. in Bloodborne, pungent cocktail, invisibility and that one attack-each-other knife exist, but youā€™ll only find a few, so using one is a careful decision that this is the best opportunity to do so in the entire game).

2 Likes

Thatā€™s interesting. In my mind those are very separated between ā€˜AI movement/aggro behaviorā€™ and ā€˜AI attacksā€™. Iā€™m going to have to think about the effect they have on players as a whole, and particularly when viewed without separation.

1 Like

Yeah, itā€™s really inseparable. Thereā€™s one remaining magic phrase that still works perfectly to talk past the entire non-boss encounter design in Bloodborne and DkS3. Itā€™s the speedrunner running-past-everything, which doesnā€™t really require any skill aside for map knowledge (or situational awareness, on the first playthrough). And why does that work so well? Itā€™s because every enemyā€™s first attack always has a long windup. Itā€™s also because enemies canā€™t outrun you after that. And itā€™s because almost no enemy stands in a narrow enough space that they physically block you.

Presumably these enemy behaviors are conveniently universal because this makes them more fair opponents in a normal approach. But it can be exploited by a player interested in who they want to fight, not just how.

1 Like

thereā€™s a big difference between enemy design and encounter design

itā€™s why a lot of modern doom wads are really good at herding the player around with very simple, predictable, manageable ai patterns

2 Likes

Right, the Souls games have struggled with players picking apart their encounter design due to holes left in certain tactics that they may or may not want to fix ā€“ I have several friends who argue that they intentionally left ranged, magic, and pull techniques cheeseable as an out for the difficulty. I think the tradeoffs made in Bloodborne, restricted but sharpening the playerā€™s palette, are worthwhile in allowing them to create better encounters.

2 Likes

You can inch in DkS1 and still pull 1 enemy. You have to be a little.more csreful about it, yeah. Even in the burg, if you do it in reverse direction.

The burg from normal direction (coming from the bridge with the dragon) is about the only place in the game which can consistently force you into 2 or more enemies.

Demonā€™s Souls is better about encounter design, with a lot less enemy designs. Especially once you get past the burg.

1 Like

welp i did it

emulator is kicked to the curb, love live the PS2
11 Likes

Iā€™m going to play this game on my PSTV and you are responsible

Shadow Tower is very intimidatingā€¦

i forgot there was voice acting to begin with, so it was jarring and actually scary when a voice spoke to me suddenly out of the darkness while i was hacking away at jumping spiders and slimes

iā€™m gonna play through it after i finish KF4. A Kingā€™s Field game with survival horror style resource management is something i could easily take to. But itā€™s so spooky

1 Like

also that youtube screencap definitely looks like an intimate look into a zombieā€™s butthole, iā€™m sorry

3 Likes