Fatigued Souls (Part 1)

eh, you get it eventually

i’m trying to play thru DS2 using the Greatsword (in its most blatantly Berserk incarnation to date). It’s tough. Bosses collapse like wet cardboard, but it’s the regular enemies that keep getting me. It’s kind of frustrating, but i look cool as hell.

1 Like

it’s really gratifying to know you’re still plugging away at it ~ <3 ~

Oh i def get in the mood for 2 sometimes, usually because i thought about the Majula theme.

3 Likes

well, if you’re playing online, you can probably just ask someone to ‘acquire’ one from Thomas given that the item duplication bug is so easy anyone can do it.

Yeah.

I legit got one twice. Both times took over a dozen hours of grinding I am insane.

I got mine in… two hours of grinding.

Which from what I hear is on the ‘fast’ side, but it was like NG++ and I was farming the black phantom black skeleton in 4-2 → rolling off the edge repeatedly. Took about a 70-80 seconds each time. Eesh.

Youre acting like that wasnt my experience too.

You got real lucky or I got real unlucky (Twice).

There was some speculation that character name or username determined some drop chances.

Well, I do know someone who did the other BP black skeleton which is just kind of silliness.

The Theory that I was reading was that it was tied inversely to luck.

That is, if your Luck was high, you would have a higher chance of rolling the garbage item on the drop tables, instead of the rare item, which would become more unlikely to drop because you’d already dropped something in that slot.

I am not sure if I believe that, but I was on minimum luck when I did mine.

4 Likes

That exact process, like so many hungry for more souls…(or completionism)

But we had to.

Think mine took about 8 hours. One of few cases I actually dedicated myself to a crazy drop rate, another being SNES FFII and a Pink Tail.

1 Like

I haven’t played a videogame in almost two years. I got the itch for some Souls and bought Dark Souls 3 on PC, during the thanksgiving steam sale.

I’m not far in, but the visual palette reminds me of Demon’s Souls.

P.S. Something which was always great about Dark Souls 2 and the Scholar of The First Sin edition, is that it runs so well, you can play it at 720p ~ 40fps, on Ivy Bridge or better graphics; if you turn down the lighting effects and the ambient occlusion. So, its a great, high quality game for laptops or computers which can’t fit a dedicted GPU.

1 Like

can i give a shout out to whoever did the weapon/shield/armor pictures on the Dark Souls wikidot?? because some of these are ridiculously well composed

10 Likes

What even is that third one, an Estoc?

One thing to keep in mind re: DSIII PC, is that the look of the game changes drastically on low settings.

My current video card isn’t poweful enough to run at max settings so for my first dozen hours I was playing with shaders down one notch from max, wondering why this game looked so drab and grey even for a Souls game…

Then on a whim I tried reducing the resolution and increasing the shaders to max, it’s like night and day. All the color light effects, metallic reflections and accents etc make the game look vibrant again.

Ricard’s rapier

Got an example of an area which easily shows the difference?

I haven’t noticed any difference at all, for the shader quality setting. I think I have it set at “high” just because.

Lighting quality didn’t seem to do much, either. I do have it set at “max”. As I heard it does affect certain shiny bits, throughout the game.

Max textures fits into 2GB, so even my 4 year old video card, a 7870, has no problem with that. In fact, the most significant affect on performance, seems to be resolution/geometry. Which barely responds to core overclock on my videoca rd. So I’m running at 1600x900 with a mixture of mostly max, some high settings. and gettingabout 45fps worst case, which is staring at a bunch of craggy rocks and twisted trees. Otherwise is 55-60fps pretty much everywhere else.

*that’s also running “Reshade” to fix the black level, add SMAA (because the in game provided FXAA is blurry and barely fixes edges), some sharpening to bring out texture details, and a shader called “Clarity 2” which I think does something to the Luma and is kinda like updating your glasses prescription, after kinda needing to for awhile.

Although, right behind the thrones in Firelink, the framerate tanks for some reason. Typical Souls engine quirks.

I’ve started noticing it in Irithyll of the Boreal Valley, where I enabled high shaders. Mainly in metallic, reflective accents of certain objects, and the orange light of bonfires…

I haven’t done any exhaustive comparisons

“Estus Soup”???

4 Likes