Fading Brakelight Obscurity III - Green-Orange-Checkered Edizione

I took my G27, disconnected only the power, and then stuffed it behind my guitar amp under my desk; so that I could continue using the Logitech pedals and shifter with the Thrustmaster wheel (without buying adapters).

In order to sell off the G27, I have descended deeper into the well.

One thing that I hadn’t realized about the Thrustmaster shifter: it doesn’t have any physical switches. It has a hall effect sensor that reads the position of the lever magnetically, analog…ly. They don’t allow it in software, but I guess theoretically you could use that bad boy as like a flightstick if you removed the h-gate plate. This means you can unscrew the four bolts on the metal plate and rotate the whole mechanism 360deg to fit your setup better. Even more interestingly, though, what they do allow in software is rotating the shifter 90deg, and then allowing you to pull down, in what was previously the neutral zone, for analog handbraking. Golly.

I’ve always had my side-eye on the Fanatec Clubsport pedals since the first older all-silver models. So handsome, so professional, so butch. These newer black ones are exactly the same color scheme as my beloved old stolen bicycle, so sad. They have vibration motors on the gas and brake pedals, and you can barely feel them, and they are poorly supported. The clutch has like a dual pivot cam thingy going on that releases tension after you get past a certain faux engagement point, how trick. Mr. Hall and his sensors are back again, etc. The load cell brake, even on the softest physical and software adjustment settings, is stiff enough to cause the entire fully-metal frame to fully-lift up in the front every time you try to stop. You def. gotta mount them.

And so, I consider my options, my Ikea parts stash, think about building a square frame with an elongated back to stop the pivoting. After various failed solutions, I go for the nuclear option. I screw them into the floor, please don’t tell anyone, please don’t beat my ass. They are now my permanent ergo foot rest. Previously my driving cockpit setup has been: sit in office wheely chair, put ottoman behind chair, put small side table with 30 lbs of wife’s exercise weights on base behind ottoman. It has served me well. But now there is too much force involved. A carefully engineered, purpose-built solution must be devised.

It is an Ikea picture ledge affixed to the floor with two long strips of double sided tape.

I discovered I have an automatically migrated Steam key from when I purchased rFactor 2 over ten years ago. It crashes every time I attempt to start a race.

Bonus: guy was living in this thing that I saw in the parking lot while meeting with the guy selling the shifter/pedals

10 Likes