Fading Brakelight Obscurity II - Championship Edition (Part 1)

I think I’m in love with F1 2016 because it’s doing something other games aren’t doing and actually teaching you how to race and making practice sessions mean something more than tuning your setup before you go on the track. The track familiarization in particular is really good for checking your set up and getting feedback. My Renault was stepping out huge in Bahrain till I adjusted for better downforce and started hitting purple sectors on the set up. I love you can use voice controls to get feedback on track instead of fiddling with menus as well. It’s super detailed and nerdy. Race days are very tense since there’s a lot more overtaking at the back compared to the Merc dominance at the top as well.

Also shouting “Leave me alone, I know what I’m doing!” at the Kinect after my race engineer got too chatty got me an achievement. It’s the little touches.

In other car game news. HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG

5 Likes

Finally a car for the way I like to play Forza.

2 Likes

So what’s the Hot New Thing I need to play? I liked NFS The Run and Split/Second. That’s basically where I left off. I’m hearing good things about Project Cars and F1 2016, not least of all from here. Or do I have to play one of the Dirt games? Something else I don’t know about? What’s my next big racing crush, SONNICK, I need to know!

1 Like

Dirt Rally, Asetto Corsa.

Then, BeamNG.drive

Alternate option: Supermodel emu + Scud Race.

1 Like

All of those are probably better suggests in the spirit of the thread, but the latest NFS is pretty cool if you’re into that sort of thing.

1 Like

Wow, I didn’t know most of those. Thanks!

Which one is the latest NFS?

Need for Speed.

3 Likes

Well that’s creative

2 Likes

What is this game?? I picked free roam and it just dropped me off on top of a mountain. I was like, okay, let’s get offa here and get to the road to do some driving. Little did I know that this is not that kind of game! (sometimes)

I plummeted to my death, needless to say.

It was hilarious. Will post a screenshot later.

Then I tried out the scenarios and could hardly make it through any of them. Like, this is Dark Souls Racing with amazing physics and damage modeling. Really cool.

So yeah, my verdict: Dark Souls Racing meets Octodad Racing

2 Likes

@BBP
Actually, it is a bit hard to follow up split/second. Like, I have no answer here, if you’re into that.

If you want devilish hard mario kart action, go for Son(n)ic Kart 2 & All Stars Racing Transformed, gives you that.
[quote="Victor, post:166, topic:113, full:true"] Dirt Rally, Asetto Corsa.[/quote] are two titles I haven't gotten my hands onto & which sound like they'll be _fun_, though more in a _"fun is not a straight line"_ way, i.e. in a "feels like _work_"-kind of way.
There's Forza 6 and Forza Horizon 3, if you have a X1.
F1 2016 sounds good, see robutts experience(s) w/ that.

… and then he started feeling like a F1 rookie, the notion slowly dawning that he’s just not A-tier material and the best times already were a thing of the past ~~~

1 Like

Never been so humiliated by a game in my life. Guys, I’m a lover, not a racer. I know that now.

I managed to get bronze on the first time attack of career mode. After a couple of tries. Then, the first race. I couldn’t overtake a single car in I don’t know how many tries. I’m just constantly hanging back, yelling “wait up, you guys!! I’m here! Race with me!”

Oh boy. I’m just really shit at this game.

I should stick to arcadey racers. That’s all I can handle

Yeah, it seems there’s nothing like it out at all. Very sad. I so enjoyed the heck out of it. Well, no harm in maybe going back to it, right

I’ll try to check out the other suggestions but since I’m not a hardcore racer I have to torrent stuff first to get an impression if I’ll like it before I buy anything. Money is tight, don’t have any to just throw around. And F1 2016 and Need For Speed seem to have good copy protection/no cracks right now. Sad times for pirates, really

BeamNG.drive, everybody

That used to be a car, yeah. Funny thing is it still drove

3 Likes

I’ma hold of that recommendation on F1 2016 if you are still on the fence. I love it but the Game still has a fair amount of bugs and difficulty balancing. Bahrain has the AI completely busted and a lot of people are complaining you can even place a stock Manor in the top 10. My full race in Bahrain included two front wing changes because the AI braked way too early into T1 while I was on a DRS charge and after Danil Kyvat caused a safety car on the last few laps (Even virtual Kyvat can never catch a break), we lined up. Somewhere in the middle of the SC, the game decided to black and white flag me for “Illegal blocking”. Even though real rules say you can’t be flagged for making multiple moves to hold your position in SC conditions because the car is harder to control at low speeds and you will make adjustments in the queue always.

I finished that 11th. And the game gave me 9th because somehow poor Valleri Bottas stacked up four penalties during that safety car period and the final standings was full of them including Kimi Raikonnen.

I’ve moved onto Shanghai. Raised AI difficulty. Had some awful practise sessions because of weather changes. Still qualified 6th, somehow. I had to mid race save because I was tired but RNGeezus is not on my side with heavy rain and Max Verstappen dogging me.

I’d wait to see if Codemasters can squash a few bugs and stabilize performance.

Speaking of Max. Funny thing at the press conferences this week. He was detailing his preparation for the Belgian GP saying that he spent all week with a copy of F1 2016 and ran it on his home simulator and was gushing about it being the best F1 game since Grand Prix 3 (And he has a point. GP3 had bugs, and hilarious ones. But it was still amazing). He was looking around for approval and the other drivers were like “We’re too old to be running sims outside of our scheduled time at the team headquarters”. Max is part of an iRacing e-sports team and plays Project CARS on his home set up so it was a bit funny watching his enthusiasm and the other drivers not exactly knowing what he was talking about.

It’s an interesting thing how real drivers are getting into the cause more than ever, especially when we’re in a bit of a barren period for the genre. Interesting thing I saw during the week. NASCAR Driver Brad Keslowski is one of the investors in DMR Racing, the publishers of the new NASCAR Heat and put up a blog post about how video gaming helped him get into racing. Specifically Parpyrus’ NASCAR games and how the realism helped prepare him on track. And why he’s investing in a new NASCAR Heat because there’s little options for the mainstream to get a hardcore sim (Putting EA on Blast for NASCAR Thunder. Better not be talking mess about NASCAR Rumble though). It’s an interesting thought how some drivers think that sims are the next best way to get people on the track and interested in Motorsport (And NASCAR has had a huge attendance problem the last few years)

In other news. I just bought a racing wheel since Amazon had a new Logitech G920 on special for £130 during their bank holiday deals. Yaaaaaaaay?

2 Likes

i sure hope you make good use of that wheel!
I’m absolutely loving driving with it, because I can do stuff like this now:

… and get more than just one or maybe a handful of laps done before you inevitably spin out and/or crash into someone because of lack of control. Had my former endurance-racing-buddy over this weekend and we clocked ~7-8 hours on sunday just testing what you can (and cannot) do with the NASCAR Ford, the Dallara Indycar and some other cars.

Loved also that link to Brad’s story how he got into racing via the NASCAR game(s) … because that’s actually one of the first things I was driving (trying to drive …) when I got my 486 back in 1997ish. I basically had to run it in low-poly mode, textures off on some tracks (oh Bristol, Charlotte & Darlington, I still don’t know why you were killing these frames so viciously!) but fighting just to stay on the lead lap was ace. And it made me kill the first (and only) joystick due to sheer usage: it was falling to the left by the slightest touch, while the right side was perfectly fine. Tells you something about the kind of racing you do ~~~

Still, that’s cool to see how these guys have a common background with us mere armchair racers, because we know where they are coming from.

and btw, victor posted this in the news-channel and I am liking what I see.
Cars like the Panoz Esperante or 917 just look gorgeous in their low-poly form …

I could swear this game was posted about by one of the devs in the development subforum

1 Like

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Ver-10-0-Sega-Lindbergh-Yellow-Multigame-10-0-49-Games-Inside-NO-KEYBOARD-/182262850529?hash=item2a6fb663e1:g:V-wAAOSwAuNW7rqR

I didn’t know hacked Lindbergh units were a thing.

One day…

2 Likes

i didn’t as well, but do now. time to brush up on that then …

That is kinda crazy. But foreign Arcades are still a huge thing and they bootleg like crazy. The waiting for emulation struggle continues.

I finally got my wheel! It’s pretty nice, solid build quality. Though I found out, maybe a bit too solid since Logitech added a brake dampener in response to a popular G27 mod and it’s tough as nails. The Force Feedback is incredibly strong as well. Not to brag, but I’m a person who can lift 350 pounds no problem and I was sweating trying to fight the FFB on it. I had to buy a wheel stand as it was just crazy trying to hold that sucker in my lap.

The learning curve is a bit more than I anticiapted. I tried with Forza 6 and I was oversteering like crazy and wondering why my brakes weren’t working till I dialed in the settings. Even then with something super grippy I’m oversteering super hard. It feels weird because my real car (A Ford Fiesta Ecoboost. Had to move on from the Clio) also has some bad oversteer in real life because it will just dart into a corner as soon as you turn the wheel. But I know how to correct it there but I’m just finding it hard on games. Happened on DIRT Rally as well where I slammed a FWD Mini into a tree because I tried to correct the oversteer and lost control.

Wanted to try on PCARS but it now crashes as soon as I hit the main menu because of a driver conflict. Thanks SMS. Also passed on NASCAR Heat Evolution because it’s way too rough for a €55 game on PC (Steam Sale it is). Still to try it on F1 2016 though. That will be interesting since it’s patched now.

It’s not the wheel though. I tried it on the Forza Horizon 3 Demo and it was perfect once I dialled in the settings to be a little less loose. It was only a basic wheel implementation according to Playground games but it felt beautiful to drive. It’s a learning curve, I guess.

2 Likes