Fading Brakelight Obscurity II - Championship Edition (Part 1)

This one was really good and he only talked about farts once

I guess it’s a certain style? The Red Letter Media reviews do the same thing. A great, in-depth review of The Phantom Menace hampered (in my mind) with random, increasingly forced asides about pizza rolls

Perhaps there’s some irony here in using a video that explicitly talks media theory and postmodernism as a point of comparison to something hampered by flourishes inserted by the creator

2 Likes

I believe the series originated out of 4chan’s /o/ board which is why he apes the RLM videos a lot and a lot of the memes and humor comes out of that (He drops a lot of anime references in his videos)

And yes he did a video on the anime car. Watch your volume.

Loving these.

Some nice crossover of interests here.

That one is exceptional, thanks.

RLM have largely left the Plinkett character behind in favor of “Mike” and “Jay” so their videos are now 90% on topic 10% nonsensical plotting about VCR repair.

Dare I say RCR is New Cars Journalism?

Please don’t encourage the Hunter S Thompson impression for the Porsche reviews. It’s so cringeworthy.

You’re probably right, though.

Look, I’m going to admit that one time I may have given a presentation in a college class I didn’t take particularly seriously doing a Hunter S. Thompson impression the whole time. Only the professor and one friend/classmate understood what I was getting at but everyone was sort of amused. I’ll call it a win.

I can’t hate on him, even if his impression was quite bad.

3 Likes

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

4 Likes

:lilskip: :sakura: :shermiesteppin:

1 Like

oh fuck this is the best news

X-TREME!

1 Like

this is really some X-TREMEly good news. Feel kinda Genki about this!

1 Like

praying for new shutokou battle for ps4 and a ps4 port of shutokou battle x cos i’m never gonna own a j360

while i’m at it, why don’t we drop a kaido battle 4 in there? dream big!

between this, the last guardian, and granzella continuing the zettai zetsumei toshi series, things are looking great for my ps2-game-loving ass. what’s next? boku no natsuyasumi 5? a sequel to rez? siren 3?

…sky odyssey 2?!

1 Like

So. With the fourth, major 24h classic in the books, it seems like this seasons’ round the clock racing is finally in the books, even if the ink is yet to dry …

Daytona24 will be kinda unremarkable compared to the Nür24h, stopped for hail on the track and with that last-lap clash for the finish, LM24 with the killer-ending and now Spa24 with a race that didn’t let up either, the last hour alone was enough for a 6h endurance race.

This has really been a crazy racing summer (weather was good for one thing at least) and now … a few 6h WEC races left (not worthy watching after COTA-round though) and SuperGT will have to slowly ease the transition into 2017, ……… so it’s time to finally get one of these racing seats for my wheel, huh.
Update(s) incoming when that happens.

I got four 16" wheels off a guy in Denton for $90 today. He said he was a drift competitor - his garage had dozens of tires with the texture of burlap. I can’t imagine the rate at which you go through tires doing that.

1 Like

I don’t have the cash to splurge on a wheel or a racing seat or place to put it. The struggle. Especially since F1 2016 is out in two weeks and looks like it’s doing everything right that 2014 and 2015 did wrong. Even though the real season is boiling down to “Nico Rosberg/Charlie Whiting/Dani Kyvyat did something stupid and Hamilton won”. And the Ferrari’s are awful.

The amount of crazy NASCAR is delivering is making up for it. Rookie Chris Buescher won Pocono after the Sunday Race was cancelled and it was run on Monday due to rain. He clutched it out and stayed out ahead of others going for pitstops before a massive fog cloud swept in after the halfway point (The point where NASCAR can call it an official race and call a result) and officials red flagged the race. Soon after a massive rain storm swooped in and officials called it for Buescher because they coudn’t finish the race. It was insane to watch and the race itself was really good.

I’m new to all this so I have no idea how “the chase for the cup” plays out. But it’s a hell of a show with great racing lately. I hope that new Monster Games NASCAR game is good. Forza does it well and the new drafting system makes it terrifying (I love how the car shakes about that the hood flaps start shaking about and your pad goes crazy in turbulent air) but it misses a lot with no caution flags, tyre wear or real damage.

I think my hope for the next gen is proper pit strategy and reacting to conditions. Project CARS could have been fine but that game has bugs out the exhaust that SMS refuse to acknowledge. I had to reset a career because a critical race in my career at Zolder was impossible to finish as it would hit heavy rain in the middle of the race, I would pit with all my options set to wets and when I came out, I was back on slicks. I even nursed my car around the wet track to make sure it wasn’t the wets being extra slippery but nope. Even with pit strategy set to wet, game kept putting on slick boots. I think I’m done with that game.

1 Like

Got F1 2016 on the xbone as the PC version seems to be a few driver updates and patches away from being acceptable unless you have a high tier rig. Outside of some noticeable screen tear (Both console versions have it, I noticed from footage online) it’s pretty darn good. Especially since they nailed the balance of being accessible, but also super intricate. You can just blast through a shortened weekend or you can do a full one where you have to fulfill the objectives in your practice sessions to get research points. Then do the full qualifying shoot out and then a full race.

I picked Renault at the start and did a full weekend on Albert Park and cranked sim damage up. And if you hit the wall or another car, it’s game over (There’s even a pro-career where flashbacks are disabled). It ended super tight and intense as the Renault has a really bad and slippery back end that steps out when you push it. I barely made my weekend objective (Finish 15th and ahead of Palmer) after I had to get out of the ways of the Ferrari’s and Hulkenberg sniped me while I was in 14th. I already lost some engine power due to a mechanical fault. So I had to defend like crazy versus Guitierrez (Who had a better car) while my own tyres were shredding to bits as I gambled on a two stop strategy over the three stop everyone else was making (And the Xbone feedback triggers were going insane since they react to your grip and acceleration).

Codebastards you did it again after DIRT Rally. This game, man

1 Like

I like how boutique racing game development has become, it seems like it’s basically just sumo, codemasters, and nadeo who do it at this point but they mostly work on different franchises for different publishers and the genre seems pretty healthy

I guess I’m forgetting about bizarre and polyphony because they’ve been doing the same thing for a decade by comparison, just with vastly different release schedules

Reading this, I remember (all-too-vividly, but nevertheless 15 years ago) why I stopped playing F1.
It just ended up being a genre where you were waiting for that tiny error of the guy in front of you, or the pitstop where you might get a few quick laps in (or an undercut some laps earlier) … coincidentally, thinking back what was my replacement for the lack of monoposto-racing, it was GT-racing (Sega GT, GT3, that EA-Sportscar-Racing game + the Dreamcast Le mans-game), and this love for GT and LMP-type racing never went away … now I feel old, hummmmm~~~

Anyway, F1. Project Cars _does_ have some open-wheelers, and I just might give them spin (_literally_) or two, but expect to fare even worse than I did back in 2001; but it is good to see/read that players still can get excited about the kind of stuff that became a bit of a legend when me and a few friends of mine were racing through the ages and around the world (GP2, GP3, Classig GPLegends, Indycar 1+2…), living the virtual dream of single seater hero … as resident Tyrrell, Minardi, Arrows, Prost and (BAR) Honda crappy but ambitious hotshot, I approve of going for a backmarker-team. It never feels like you're winning anything when fighting for one or two points, but those battles have been more rewarding than, say, the dreary GT-formula-1-esque-"races".

tl;dr: #bloodpotion #i’mGladIt’sYouAndGetOuttaMyTown, Monaco-style

Speaking or Prj Cars above there, what does the following screenshot tell us?

• god, does lensflare look good in this game
  • 27 laps in a Ginetta GT4(junior something)? Yup, my target has been doing 30 laps (assuming 2 min per lap, that’d be an hour of racing then. as the laptimes indicate though, it was over more quickly)
  • => so I’m doing the beginners stuff then: get to know an entirely new track (cadwell park), doing a long run to get a feeling for the track & car. Why? …
  • … yeah, finally put money to a unnecessary, but good use and bought that racing seat, clamped the wheel onto this thing, did some installation laps (literally) in the 2014 Audi R18, and boy did I need to get my consistency back.
  • Improved my best lap to 1:43.737 in the second to last lap, though had a few spins here and there. A bit painful to see that It is a long way back for me, having not raced properly for a few years by now (thanks GT6, for sucking so much!) but it is nice to realize how much more control you have with a wheel (again).
    Now it is “just” about getting confidence, and practice, practice, practice …
    (and some time to look at that lensflare, man …)