Fading Brakelight Obscurity II - Championship Edition (Part 1)

I learn something new about you every day. Such as your appreciation for this type of car

yes, thats pretty much the closest thing i know of and i desperately want to try it

I want to make a car-rpg with road trip elements like this some day.

If instead of americana roadtrip simulator you don’t mind european eastern bloc roadtrip simulator, Jalopy is now available on early access

2 Likes

I’m surprised SCS hasn’t tried to iterate more on ETS 2. It’s a rather pleasant game and the racing game subgenre is in a state of flux at the moment since they are all chasing that e-sports dragon. GT Sport is getting another unveil tomorrow and it’s expected to have a number of FIA championships licensed while Forza now has a NASCAR expansion pack along with the Formula E eSports rights run in conjunction with the championship itself (Formula E is shockingly ahead of the times compared to F1). NFS and The Crew did alright, but the open world formula needs an iteration. Just driving within the limits on a massive road trip could be an interesting new direction. The Crew is pleasant and it takes an hour to go coast to coast, but it’s still very “Foot on the floor”.

But then I have a fondness for NFS: The Run. Atrocious handling and a super frustrating game but the central concept is still something racing games never really explored in an action racing game with a central concept beyond coming first, in that you had to survive the race. And there was so many good ideas that I’d love if EA would go back and have a look at it. Maybe even divorce it from the NFS IP so that IP can be Drifting and Hooning while The Run is an action racer full of tight handling and arcade thrills.

1 Like

Am… Am I allowed to talk about CTR: Crash Team Racing in this thread?
I dont know that I have much anything particular to say but it is the only racing game Im playing right now.

I played that and remember none of it but it’s probably more or less competent

I played a lot of CTR when I was in Jr. High. It’s a better game than Mario Kart 64, which I guess would have been the comparison point at the time; it would be 4 more years before Double Dash was released.

The boost system is very satisfying; the higher you went off a jump, the more boost you got when you landed. Mario Kart 8 actually adopted this system and I was pleased about that.

Otherwise, yeah, like Felix said: it’s more or less competent.

1 Like

sure, this is the place to talk about all driving-related things.

it is (kinda) obligatory though that at one point you end up talking about whether the game has fading brakelights. Bonus-content includes turn-signals, reversing light(s) and low-/high-beams.

(actually, whats up with laserlight technology in games … since fading brakelights are slowly fading away, there’s a need for a new, obscure technology that car-nerds can rave on about …)

Polyphony, I’m not sure you know what you’re doing, photoshopping cars into landscape pics is the killer feature in your next generation racing videogame; but all your sins were forgiven when I read the phrase “Ford Mustang Group B Rally Car”.

3 Likes

This is where I admit I don’t even know what you mean by fading brakelights. Although I think maybe I do? I’m not sure.

this is basically a joke that has been around for … god, since GT3? them games being real driving simulator et al, it was amusing to see how when you apply the brakes, they insta-switch on/off. Watch a real™ car with lightbulbs, and you see that there’s some fading going on. You only realize it when it’s digial 0/1 in a game.

then games came around that fixed this/are faking it properly, so this joke slowly faded away (pun half-unintended) until the new generation of cars came 'round that feature LED-rear lights. because these, you’ve guessed it, do not fade wonderfully old school like our old show-boats.

tl;dr:

3 Likes

Was cleaning out my bookmarks folder

1 Like

Oh, I played that new Need for Speed. I assume the FMV stuff is awful, but I’ve just been muting it and playing with my phone so I don’t actually know. It seemed alright for a Burnout: Paradise-like, and it’s the first racing game I’ve played that does the old trick of having different areas set at different times of the day/rainy-ness which works pretty well for this sort of things.

I’m a sucker for NFS-style arcade-y driving games, but I discovered the tuning section and I might have to stop playing now. What you can make the cars do in this game w/r/t is absolutely ridiculous and I’ve reached the point where I’m solid at the driving mechanics and need my car to get about 2x as fast to start really enjoying things again. It has the dumb always-only grinding structure these things must have these days, and I’m not sure I have it in me to slip-and-slide my way through the drifting events to grind up the money I need to make it a fun driving game again.

In addition, it has some bizarrely boring cars to chose from (I grinded straight to the Lotus and I don’t expect I’ll change ever), and possibly the worst police chases the series has ever seen.

The only reason I’m interested in this game is because apparently the art team spent a lot of time analyzing how things look under different varieties of streetlight and that is a subject/aesthetic near and dear to Mikey’s heart

It looks amazing. The lighting is super great. That’s probably 50% of why I stuck with it out of the gate (the FMV cutscenes are unskippible D:)

Got into NASCAR, recently. Racing is pretty tight and pack based. The 400 was incredible. Just flag to flag dogfights all around the track for every position and then a big one when Jimmie Johnson’s gearbox crapped out on a restart and caused an 18 car wreck. I love their new website and youtube as well since it helps ease people in and not feel left out why they are making decisions compared to F1 which is getting more exclusionary. Granted I know NASCAR is having it’s own attendance problems but the strength of racing so far this year has been tremendous compared to the Gordon or Johnson domminance years. Gonna put it on a bucket list to get over to Florida for the Daytona 500, sometime.

Speaking of. Monster Games have left Nintendo exclusivity and are partnering with a new publisher called Dusenberry Martin Racing to make a new NASCAR Heat for current gen and PC. The Euthechnix games were meh but far too punishing and without tutorials to even show you what you are doing (Forza’s NASCAR expansion was really good in teaching fundementals because it tells you what you are doing with drafting and pack racing along with how to hit lines on speedways properly. It was a bit light but still darn good) but Monster are an even better choice since they made Dirt to Daytona way back in the day which was pretty darn great. So maybe they can do something decent with it though I imagine they will be sharing marquee space with Forza in the future since NASCAR can use all the publicity it can get.

(It’s no NASCAR Rumble. But what is?)

2 Likes

Don’t forget. This is the biggest Motorsport weekend of the year

Nurburgring 24h is going on now for the next day

Monaco Grand Prix, the Coke 600 at Charlotte and the 100th running of the Indianapolis 500 tomorrow

i didn’t. I’ve been focussing on the - quite memorable Nür 24h, read up on Monaco GP and Indy500 a few hours ago and don’t regret anything.Was surprised that Mr. Gran Turismo would even set a foot into a non-nissan, but apparently he did, and that didn’t even go as bad as you’d expect, either.

The official Select Button garage

4 Likes