Fading Brakelight Obscurity II - Championship Edition (Part 1)

ok, so is there some pun that’s hidden behind the 124 or why are the pressers calling that spyder a “she”?

(and … idk, don’t want to be a killjoy and all, but that Bugatti looks a bit face-lift-ish. Even though sorting out the tech must have been hell on earth for the poor engineers, that styling has that underwhelmingly “1.5” feeling to it).

Would take a (granted, 350k) LFA, 150k+ MP4-12C (yes, the old one, facelift has that stupid grin) or new NSX (still too expensive) anytime instead and be happy with that choice. And have a whopping 1000k for fuel and tires/insurance left …

ok, realistically, I’d be content with the RCZ-R. Guess I’m getting older/becoming more sensible …

Gonna be honest I’m not sure when it happened but I can muster no enthusiasm for contemporary super/hypercars

i’m right there with you bud. the styling universally doesn’t interest me post '90 or so and although i think it’s really cool, the advance of computerized control systems in cars removing the element of connection between driver and machine makes it hard for me to see a sort romance in it and feel passionate about it.

100% into the Chiron. A real and true hyper car. Super Saiyan Werewolf R8. A batmobile for this world’s actual crypto-fascist elite money men. A grownup’s Huayra.

1 Like

Those are some nice lock/unlock buttons I tell you what

tbh, if it wasn’t (mainly) for the japanese trying different, I’d be in the same camp. And I don’t think it has something to do w/ growing up/being sensible … yes, admittedly I am driving basically this

car, which isn’t exactly racers’ pedigree material, agreed (petrol, not diesel. latter can go away for good if you ask me …). So, yes, I like wafting around instead of being beaten up when driving > 60ish miles.

I like driving around and enjoying the ride, and yes, I even do like the sound of a petrol engine. But somehow, I can’t muster up much excitement when I see a (new) Audi R8, a new Lambo or Ferrari, even the Corvette or newer Maccas. Seeing an Aston every now and then is nice, but nothing that makes me go wow.
Cue yawning when standing next to any AMG Mercedes C/E/S 63, 65 or whatever’s the hot shit. BMW M3,4,6 - whatever.
The thing is, let me catch a glimpse of a Jag XJ220 (which is no beauty queen, let’s face it … or rather not face it at all) - now we’re talking. Catching a glimpse of a real world™ Honda NSX (NA1), an Alpine A110, RX-7 (FD), even a Toyota GT86 - now we’re talking. There are a few 2k-cars that can do the same feat, but in general I somehow lost interest in the newer, computerized - and much more crucial/disappointing - interchangeable versions of super/hyper/giga-car territory.

And I think i can trace it back to where this started for me … after (digitally) driving around in most of the recent versions in Forza Motorsport 3/4, i got fed up of most of the lot. Seeing how I enjoy (digit.) driving around in the bleeding-edge tech Hybrid Le Mans Prototypes, it can’t be that I do not like the computerized modern age cars, because I enjoy learning how to use these systems and being forced to think differently when deploying them.

After a while, I realized that I started liking cars not just for what they are, but rather what they want(ed) to do.

• Jag XJ220? Wannabe-V12-Cabriolet-Supercar that turned out to be a V6-twin-charged-ugly-duckling. Brilliant.
  • Lexus LFA: As computerized as you could get back in early 2000, with typical japanese ridiculousness (digital speedo because the engine revs TOO FAST™ for analogue tech (sure, urban legend-material?) and Yamaha Sound Engineering for enjoying the sound of the high-revving engine (physical, not computerized … looking at you, BMW et al).
  • Fiat 131 - tinny Sedan with arguably boxiest design ever award. Lovable!
  • etc. etc.

And tbh, what I like about the new NSX is that it promises to be the equivalent of the heyday-NSX - offering the easy, everyday driveability of an Accord-Sedan, the option of silently stealing away instead of howling like a mad wolf and smoking your rear wheels, and offering a contemporary, no-thanks-go-away-lambo-bullshit cabin/speedo that's just a nice place to be (and stay) in.

tl;dr:
confessions of a pitiful (go-kart)-level pay-driver that cannot unleash the true power of active aero-induced downforce levels found on contemporary hyper-cars.

#buyAKeiCarLoL

As someone who drove a Saturn SL2, a Chevy Cavalier and now a Volvo S40 (that I quasi-inherited, and actually kind of hate) I feel you. For me I feel like the dream is this:

Some weird, over-engineered 80s thing. Maybe even

I think it’s because cars from the 80s (aside from sports cars) just seem like they were never maintained the way older classics were.

I’m going to link this, because it’s great: http://www.oldparkedcars.com/

3 Likes

I dunno, I have a hard time believing anyone but the most seasoned professional could be given free reign in a P1 or a La Ferrari or a GTR or M4 or any of these unromantic computer karts and come away from the experience unmoved.

But yeah, NSX 90s granturismo all stars also the best, 80s euro box rally legends also the best, 60s Italian unobtanium real best forever; it’s all cool dudes if only we were rich.

I guess I get it on an aesthetic level. Why doesn’t every/any contemporary supercar look like dis:

1 Like

My first drive was a Renault Clio which was agressively french in how The clutch loved “Jumping” when you pulled off it even lightly and would just fly off at traffic lights, only tempered by its Parisian attitude to speed (It didn’t give a fuck about the traffic behind either). One time I was pulling out of a parking space at work. I tapped a BMW because it jumped back. My boss got me out of it and it had a rubber bumper so there was no damage (Panic attack ommited for time) but it turned out the wire on it was very close to snapping which was causing the “Jumps”. I sold it to my aunt after replacing the clutch because it was far too jumpy for a heavily traffic dense suburb and city driver while it does great as a country drive.

It’s interesting how your dream drive goes from dreaming of exotics to “Something that will behave”.

Oh and Forza 6 not quite confirmed for PC. Instead you are getting a free “tech demo” slice with 83 cars and 6 locations. No F2P either (Shocking). Future Forza games are now confirmed for PC as well.

1 Like

I would go for this but maybe not with the two-tone paint job

1 Like

Can confirm that the XT Turbo was a little ripper. I just wish I could have owned mine back when it was new, before the rust gods started reclaiming it.

3 Likes

tbh I am pretty proud of driving a french lorry, because it has that wonderful, odd&crazy witchcraft hydropneumatic suspension, and a V6 petrol that packs a punch. interior is about 8 years after hitting the market still notably contemporary, and it has a red paintjob.
but, of course, it’s not as cool as a totally batshit insane 1980ies 4WD Sports-Sedan-Coupe…

[quote=“Victor, post:68, topic:113, full:true”]
I dunno, I have a hard time believing anyone but the most seasoned professional could be given free reign in a P1 or a La Ferrari or a GTR or M4 or any of these unromantic computer karts and come away from the experience unmoved.[/quote]
I’ve driven the V8 BMW M3 for a (very short) test drive (this one

)
and yeah, of course the speed and punch are impressive. Flappy-Paddles also nice, and sound was also nice. But.
Do I want to own this car? Have a down-payment for a few years until it is actually mine, service intervals every 4500ish miles, insurance with insane-rates, and basically the same old BMW interior for the last few facelifts of the whole range?
last year I was lucky enough to get a test drive in a Tesla Model S - the punch it packs is unbelievable. but again, at 2 metres wide it is a boat, and just can’t match the nimbleness of, say, a tiny MX-5 or french hot hatch.
and i can actually afford the latter two and have money to spare on, like, life, instead of a sole thing that i can’t use most of the time, because i am stuck in a traffic jam.
And i can park it anywhere i like, because nobody will be trying to nick my car when there’s a 5-times-more-expensive german saloon a few feet away.

maybe that’s being sensible/boring, but having a colleague at work that doesn’t want to park either of his (two) 911 anywhere because someone might try to nick them gives you a new perspective on owning a 100k+ supercar, let alone imagine what owning a 1 out of 100 cars-hypercar does …

One thing I can give this model (and all the hyper cars):
What this car instills (or rather: should), is respect, or maybe a bit of fear of what it can do. On a normal road, you have about a few seconds of acceleration before you have to lift off and coast along at speeds that are already a bit above the legal limit. so basically 90% of the time you have to watch out that you aren’t getting a 400+ bucks finefor speeding…

[quote]But yeah, NSX 90s granturismo all stars also the best, 80s euro box rally legends also the best, 60s Italian unobtanium real best forever; it’s all cool dudes if only we were rich.

I guess I get it on an aesthetic level. Why doesn’t every/any contemporary supercar look like dis:[/quote]
because that’s what makes this car worth about three-or-four times what it cost new.
(and this is also a car i’d loved to (virtually) test drive to see how good it is…

[quote]
It’s interesting how your dream drive goes from dreaming of exotics to “Something that will behave”.[/quote]
or rather that you can afford , that gives you no headache and 5k service bills, that you can park anywhere without it getting nicked, or damaged by someone that’s envious ……

[quote=“SONNICK, post:73, topic:113, full:true”][quote]
It’s interesting how your dream drive goes from dreaming of exotics to “Something that will behave”.[/quote]
or rather that you can afford , that gives you no headache and 5k service bills, that you can park anywhere without it getting nicked, or damaged by someone that’s envious ……
[/quote]

• something that sounds so depressingly sensible, that i just have to post this:

if i’d find “hey, 100k, what could i do with that” …", I’d still buy this

If I found $100k, I might get an Ariel Nomad because it would fulfill my sports car/offroader needs simultaneously and is easily converted into a Mad Max vehicle in the event of the apocalypse.

Then I dunno maybe I’d use the remaining cash to get a van and paint a bitchin’ mural on it.

1 Like

that are some nice wipers for the apocalypse.

in other news, some actual wheelin’ updates:

it is basically business …

as …

usual …

with an occasional anomaly …

… so, to take my mind off throwing and rolling tiny french rally-wannabes into ditches, I am dabbling around in Project Cars again, after it got some updates recently.
Quick, guess who’s me in that next screenie:

Yup, it’s not the Corvette C7.R, that’s the AI putting it a tad bit too much over the curb (cool move btw), but rather the No. 48 Cadillac ATS-V, as always keeping it nice and tidy between the white lines/sticking to the track limits, because i fvcking can put wheels off the track and survive it. And the AI doesn’t care much about tracklimits, either …

I’m still learning how to move this sucker around, but gettin’ better each day, and I love (in this generation of racing games) how cars tend to look like they have actually been racing hard, see here:

I still have to find out whether that’s due to off-track excursions at one (or two … or three) points during the race, or if it’s a random/algorithmic thing, but I absolutely love it when a car looks like it’s been through a battle.

1 Like

Okay, maybe I’m feeling this

(click through for more)

That’s a bit … brutal.
But i guess you might want to take a look around here …

since this page lists a lot of “conversions” of otherwise boringly perfect cars, taken to the next level in the early/late 1980ies. Some gems to be found there …

Noticed that last week, MS publicly announced the upcoming announcement of the next Forza game at E3…

Via Forza Hub:

[quote]GENEVA – March 2, 2016 – At the Geneva International Motor Show,
partners Microsoft’s Turn 10 Studios and Lamborghini announced their
latest collaboration to feature the all-new Lamborghini Centenario super
sports car as the cover car of the next title in the award-winning
Forza racing franchise. The Xbox game will be unveiled at the Electronic
Entertainment Expo in June 2016, and the Centenario will be available
“First in Forza,” giving millions of fans around the world the exclusive
opportunity to experience the virtual version of the car on Xbox before
its road debut. [/quote]