Fading Brakelight Obscurity II - Championship Edition (Part 1)

hmm. i would coin a different term for the horizon series in this regard:

MS tried to position the Forza Motorsport series as a ‘serious’ contender in the sim racing market, sth that’s to be taken with more than just one grain of salt. Accordingly, it focusses on the racing bits and offers some kind of career-mode where you are progressing through a number of set-pieces that should give you the feeling of being a competitor in series X. truth to be told, it feels like you are shuffled along in a theme park though…

the horizon series, as has been described before, is more like a take on the well known ‘Need for speed’ x ‘Fast and the furious’-formula - i personally would even go so far and call it a Driving Experience Action CarPG, because that’s what most important for me in this series:

experiencing the joy of driving cars i would never be able or want to afford, in places i never would be allowed to, in a manner that never would work in real life, and - best of all - with friends, relatives and strangers that join the (literal) joy ride for minutes, hours, days or months: that’s what i love about FH3. It even shows in the way how i approach both games, in FM7 i tend to play from the cockpit pov, whereas i go for the 3rd person view in FH3, to see the car i am driving with, and where i am aiming it at.

… and tbh, with FH3, most of the time, it isn’t even important what you are doing, or where you are going:
it is the act of going places and how you get there that counts, and those are the moments that stick with you:
e. g. one that stuck around is the following, experiencing sunset at the horizon (pun not intended) after heavy showers, in a Lexus LFA with a painfully embarrasing idolm@ster paintjob, while you are jumping over dunes in the australian outback - a perfect moment that won’t come back.

if you enjoy that kind of thing, then you won’t care whether you have to grind a little bit longer for car X (if it isn’t the most expensive car in the game, that is…)… and if that’s the case, then just buy it and enjoy driving, because that’s what we are here for, right?..

1 Like

Judging by reviews I watched last night, the car unlock times are more than reasonable in the Standard edition so I wouldn’t worry too much about it. I think it’s more for collectors than for regular players.

1 Like

世界最小車ならではの悲劇

4 Likes

The reason I don’t consider it a CarPG is that you can do pretty much everything from the beginning, go anywhere, drive lots of cars, and there is no strict progression system that limits you and let’s you grow bit by bit. That’s what reviews lead me to believe, anyway

SOLD

1 Like

yeah i wish there was some carpg where you’re just a high schooler street racer without much money and getting by with part time jobs and such to upgrade your carmobile.

2 Likes

I did like how you had to start out gran turismo with like a Honda Prelude, something about the 90s made that feel extra shitty

2 Likes
1 Like

The comments are actually surprisingly positive. I think he gained a lot of fans with his dragon quest review.

1 Like

So, since Horizon4 will be out tomorrow, i had to give Horizon3 a proper send off… or rather, enjoy driving Toyotas, since they decided that we don’t need to drive their backlog anymore…

… man, this game looks so good already, how’s h4 gonna surpass that…

4 Likes

I don’t know that it does, really… I don’t think the UK’s landscape is as spectacular as Australia’s. I mean, the changing seasons do look good but

I felt like the first Test Drive Unlimited game captured the big mood of just cruising around really well. Horizon games haven’t matched that feeling for me, but I still love them. I just… probably won’t get FH4 for a while, and it’s hard to explain why. Maybe it’s my current and late obsession with Dirt Rally.

1 Like

oh fuck this is good

I just tried the demo and it’s immensely likable

I played the first three Horizon games with a steering wheel in as close to sim style controls as I could manage, but I feel like I should probably just give in a play FH4 with the Xbone controller. This is something I would never do with Forza Motorsport 7.

1 Like

Please help I have so many wheelspins that all I can see in my sleep are roulette wheels telling me I won another Alfa Romeo

2 Likes

reporting in after day 1 (yurop, yeah… tailgators 4 laif) to answer one question:

does it look good?

… well, It’s a different landscape, OK, but autumn and fall are really a treat so far. I didn’t get around to do the official SB 131 paintjob yet:
i didn’t feel a crave to do so since FM4, but somehow, i ended up doing a few minor decals yesterday…

Most of the gone Toyotas are missed dearly by me, what did they think, man… no lexuseseseses with itasha paintjobs to bounce around a frozen lake surface make me feel :sob:, but what can you do than turning to old (and IRL crappy build quality) british toy cars. I encourage everyone to enjoy the presence of a proper transformers-trainee:

2 Likes

News from the Transformer apprentice:

(phone could not handle the snow~~~)

This car is basically a cheat device in itself, if left vanilla. As you may have noticed, you can only see sprite based (pun unintended, but excellent) races - idk why the ai doesn’t go for VW Bugs, the Isetta or comically bad british knock-offs P50/Reliant Robin, but since everyone gets the same sprite, it’s easy to obliterate them as soon as it comes to uphill sections… The ai doesn’t seem to be able to judge when it should be shifting down/up, and you can easily get some 5-7 seconds between #1 and #2, w/ a difficulty setting somewhat increased but not set to max.
And best of all, it is the only car in Horizon3/4 where i decided to use the onboard pov as default - it’s just perfect.
only issue may be that you grind to a halt when exploring anything that registers as a hill…

but then you must have something fit for that purpose anyway - the 131, exactly.

I’m in spring now, but am already looking forward to the next Winter…

4 Likes

fourizon wireless has the exact soundtrack i would expect it to have. i wish there was a “jump out of your car and roll around in the snow” button

3 Likes

Dirt Rally 2 has no VR support

I just blew through the Moorhead wind farm at 250kmh

power to the people

2 Likes