Fading Brakelight Obscurity II - Championship Edition (Part 1)

17 out of 34 races now, officially at 50%

damn yeah idk like there are driver rating tiers and i’ve been climbing the ranks steadily from e rank, i’m at b rank and the max is s so…i guess i gotta just make my way to a or s and see if things are more even there

how did the matchmaking do that to you? just curious how that worked

Idk, when I returned to it after the servers thinned out I suddenly only got games with people who dominated me, after always finishing top 2 before

oddly enough, normally you should be able to determine the skill of your opponents depending on the cheevios they have gotten.

They obviously must not be of the ‘collect all cars’ type, where you can brute-force your way through. A ‘beaten all staff ghosts’ or ‘cleared all GP missions’ in FZero GX would tell you enough to know who you are up against…

photo mode:

screenshots:

really loving the race result screens, i wish there was a podium finish so that more than just the 1st place racer got recognized, but the imagery is really nice with the driver + the car! although i’m annoyed that the driver is a white man and there’s no way to change it

also i won a race by over 20 seconds against a few people that had better qualifying times than me, that felt good!

3 Likes

it really fucks me up that it feels so pleasant to just drive in this game that i even enjoy oval circuit races. they’re all about positioning and strategy and i find them to be a really fun palate cleanser after 10 laps of nurburgring gp!

3 Likes

I am slightly bummed but have come to terms with the fact that the dream of the Gran Turismo past + future lives on in Forza + Horizon (hot tip for Turn10: combine these two properties, hire the rFactor tire model guys, make everything persistent, charge monthly, enjoy your new yachts) with looser physics and lack of inimitable Polyphony flavor as the only real downsides, and GT itself will now just be baby’s first pretty iRacing from now on?

I love the GT Sport engine but nothing in this game feels coherent.

Why is car ownership still a thing? Why are they awarding you gift cars when the vast majority of races, either in Sport or Campaign, do not let you use garage cars? Why is the primary reward mechanism in this game completely pointless if you play it in the main modes? It’s maddening.

Same goes for car upgrades. You can upgrade your car (but you probably didn’t know because no one ever tells you!) in the Car Settings screen by spending Mileage Points, which is cool until you realize that a) you can only use this wherever Garage Cars can be used, which is almost never and b) if the races you are playing have Balance of Performance enabled, your car is likely to be nerfed back down to a baseline level.

It feels like these elements are present because some faction in the dev team argued that these are iconic Gran Turismo features that need to be represented, but they never actually paid any attention as to whether or not this stuff has any reason to exist in the greater framework of the game.

I’m also really bummed and disheartened at the incoherence of a lot of stuff, but at the least 2 out of the 3 daily races up right now only allow you to use garage cars. and they’re locked to BoP regulations but you can tune it yourself in terms of adjusting the settings, also you can roll w a custom livery. I’ve grown really attached to my gr4 gtr after designing its livery and finding a good tune for it. it even keeps track of how many wins I’ve gotten in it!

through the years photo mode has been becoming the main reason i play a GT game more and more. (well, i also really like the presentation)

it is now pretty much the whole reason i want this one (though it also has nice menus). that tokyo track also looks good to drive around and will feed my longing for the aesthetics of japan i guess.

i’ll probably get this one on sale

love this bug

4 Likes

i did a championship race last night and on the long left after the wavy section of suzuka, i encountered a teleporting demon who slammed into me with incredible speed and vanished off down the track looking like they were going 400 mph. i forgot to save the replay because i was so sleepy but it was so wonked. spun me out and i dropped a couple of places.

3 Likes

what the hell are they trying to sell here…

Tonight on GT Sport:

• Nations Cup qualifier and race put me on the wrong track and mixed in Gr. 3 cars for some reason; unsurprisingly, the Gr.3 car people dominated the race
  • Manufacturer Series points I had stacked up are now completely gone and trying to enter the event crashes my game

nice beta guys

2 Likes
1 Like

if I could drive I would just buy up all the 2001 Impreza WRXes I could find and drive those until there are none left

2 Likes

Not sure what protocol is for 4k images. But gosh darn (And Photo mode no longer bullshots the game either)

2 Likes

I don’t know a lot about cars

I had one once though. It was fun to drive. Then I lost my job and had to sell it. Now every time I see one of the same (dearly departed) model, I think back fondly.

1 Like