Fading Brakelight Obscurity II - Championship Edition (Part 1)

A few days ago I flew + Uber’d to Mount Airy, NC, home of Andy Griffith and model for his television show’s town, to purchase a vehicle from a guy named Joey whom I met via Craigslist. After being dropped off at his house in apparently the middle of nowhere, we went on a quick test drive with the car, and then took a site-seeing trip through town, passing Andy’s statue, his house, the ‘world’s largest open-face granite quarry’, Snappy Lunch, some old fashioned cop cars which are used to give tours, the local swimming facilities, etc, to eventually visit the local notary lady (at her home on the weekend) and her aged father for the title transfer. Pops had just bought a compact Nissan truck and was proud, and had just hauled 7 loads of free wood down from a guy up the way, and was going to use it to burn in his water-heating furnace, etc. I then drove west to the small town of Robbinsville, NC where I had booked a deluxe-king + living room jacuzzi suite (worth it) in a cheap hotel. On the way, got yelled at by a proud American grandpa vet in the parking lot of a Whole Foods in Asheville, NC for annoying him with noise + fumes while idling the car waiting for the turbo to cool. After a night’s rest, visited Smoky Mountain redneck touge :us:峠 Mecca “The Tail of the Dragon” + “Cherohala Skyway”: got held up by some motor homes, chased by a guy on the Skyway in a modified Bronco with a kayak in the back, failed to keep up with this one old dad with his very small daughter on the back of his bike, etc., and drove the very boring ~1,000 miles back to Houston over the next two days while listening to The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle audiobook trying not to relate to its anime too much.

Snacks consumed while driving

• 3 32oz. bottles of water
  • 2 travel mugs of gyokuru brought from home and brewed with hotel coffee pot water
  • 1 Starbucks Tazo Venti Cloud Mist green tea
  • 1 cup of Sparkling Dasani Lemon + Lime from touchscreen robot fountain
  • 1 cup of McDonald’s ice water
  • 1/3 8oz bag of Kettle brand Sour Cream + Onion potato chips
  • 1 small packet of Strawberry + Chia chewy fruit cubes
  • 1 Hot + Spicy McChicken
  • 1 Medium McDonald’s french fries
  • 1 Five Guys double-patty with only BBQ sauce + lettuce
  • 1 Chicken schwarama-ish wrap thing made by a teenager in a business next to Starbucks

Snacks consumed while stationary

• 1 $6 packet of 8 Whole Foods 365 Everyday Value ham slices
  • 1/3 8oz bag of Kettle brand Sour Cream + Onion potato chips (on hotel couch)
  • 1/3 8oz bag of Kettle brand Sour Cream + Onion potato chips (in hotel in-room jacuzzi)
  • 1 chunk of white firm english-y cheese
  • 1 container of organic blackberries
  • 1 small cup of Wolfgang Puck airport chicken noodle soup
  • 1 Trader Joe’s knockoff Kind almond bar thing
  • 0 airplane granola bars (all stolen by greedy passengers in preceding rows)
  • 3 Empty Waffle House @ 11pm in front of La Quinta’s egg whites
  • 1 Empty Waffle House @ 11pm in front of La Quinta’s hashbrown mounds
  • 2 Empty Waffle House @ 11pm in front of La Quinta’s sausage patties
  • 2 Empty Waffle House @ 11pm in front of La Quinta’s triangles of raisin toast + apple butter

9 Likes

I want to do this exact thing! Maybe with different snacks.

Looks gorgeous!

Props for that but what there’s an anime?? You learn something new every day

Wat

Wait, I got that wrong. Never mind :blush:

BBS rims and red interieur?
thumbs up, man!

gt sport comes out in october
more excited for the photo mode than the game tbh

I’ll think I’ll just play GT2 and drive around in weird little 90s cars forever

1 Like

Sega’s making a new Arcade racing game based on the Super GT series in Japan. Looks interesting.

consider me in critical nerd mode cooldown/shutdown mode for a few days. SEGA. SuperGT. __________________________________________________________________

cross-posting from the DOS-games topic, since I’ve been saying a few words about NASCAR1/Indycar2 …

[quote=“meauxdal, post:31, topic:4996, full:true”]

would love to hear this expounded if you don’t mind <3. did they feel wrong then or is this a modern retrospective take?[/quote]

hmmm I’d say it’s more a rose-tinted glasses kind of thing?
When I got access to the internet™, after a short while, I started digging around to find a community for NASCAR1/Indycar Racing 2. Lo and behold, there were some people as crazy as me around then, and suddenly a whole new world was waiting to be explored, a world full of trucks (iirc, it was called CRAFTSMAN TRUCK SERIES back then. From a quick google-check, it must have been the 1997 to 1999 field that I’ve been modding into NASCAR1.

Then I got interested in the tools that made this whole thing possible, and dipped my toes into a lot of the tools that were necessary to pack/unpack the game assets. Made some Windows (3.11…) front-end tools to make packing/unpacking the game assets a lot easier, and without realizing, “got” the very idea about front-ends and back-ends almost naturally.

And from there on, I did a lot of fiddling around in the game, even creating some 3D model assets, and I remember the fun I had when crashing the game because of some mis-calculations. Fun times!

Needless to say, Indycar 2 got treated to an updated pack of cars, and also a High-Res pack that made my PC refuse to start the game, it was a bit _too_ advanced for my trusted DS4-S. Also quite cool, driving some NASCAR1 tracks ported to Indycar2 by community. That was _so cool_ ;__; Hell, I even modded the _intro-bgm_ to some other track. And would re-shuffle the field so that the battles going on in the intro would feel more "natural" in the context of 2000'ish CART era, i.e. Ganassi battling with Penske and Team Green, and not w/ Dale Coyne.

So, with all the modding and tinkering and fiddling over a year (at least), I did actually also manage to do some driving! Joystick only though … and moved away from NASCAR to Indycar2 after a while. In hindsight it is easy to see that due to exposure to F1 since 1994ish, I understood the rules of racing in CART better than NASCAR (pack) racing, and thus ended up playing way more of indy2 than NASCAR1, and the joystick as input meant that I was never able to do close combat side-by-side racing for long, which is a requirement in NASCAR.
Anyway, I started out at Dale Coyne and fought my way up the ladder to mid-field teams after two seasons that were a lot of DNFs … and later on even managed to get a few Oval wins on Talladega and Michigan, so after all, I learned how to trim out a car to survive a few stops.

Then new hardware came 'round, also during that time, my focus on racing games shifted slowly away from F1/open wheel style racing to GT-class racing, due to various reasons:
watching Le Mans, also FIA GT, playing some GT-racing game from EA, modded F1 2001 to include Champcars (my brother was taking over playing those), and I shifted completely to endurance racecars.

Games played during that time reflects that, I think. Sega GT, that EA Sportscars game, some other racing games that featured oddball car choices (one game had the Lister Storm LMP, for whatever reason!) and the official™ Le Mans© Dreamcast® game.

Oh yeah, and then the PS2 with GT3 happened … followed by GT4, where I got a good friend of mine to start (virtual) racing.
Come to think of it, he also started out racing with NASCAR 3, then 4 and 2003. I am probably partly at fault for this ~~~ anyway, a few years later we ended up at GTR2, modding it like crazy to include Le Mans style prototypes (and GT-field) and raced on for years to come.
… until life™ needed more screen-time and we ended up doing racing only a few times a year. Forza Motorsport 3 and 4 filled the gap, I also got interested (and somewhat ok’ish) at rally racing after dipping my toes into that (sub-)genre for a few years.

And after a few more years, in 2015, I did pick up Project Cars and started racing a bit more seriously™ again. I did try out the Indycar (Dallara) they included in the game, but it didn't click anymore, and it felt like revisiting a love that's been in the past, and rather should remain a good memory.

Endurance racing tho?
That’s still the cool shit. Even more than before, I’d say …

1 Like

this game had the most atmospheric racing i had ever experienced. became obsessed with it. still think the soundtrack is fantastic driving music.

1 Like

actually, I cannot remember the soundtrack at all!
Should go hunting for that on ytube this weekend, thanks for the heads up.

regarding the game - what stands out most (for whatever reason), is the bit after the dunlop corner that got straightened out (well, technically cornered out) from 2001ish onwards. Coming back to this game, it felt unnatural to drive on this configuration, since the flowing ark from the dunlop bridge till Tertre Rouge feels so … right, in a way.

be it bottom up,

or top-down

… well, a few nerds seem to agree w/ me, literally camping there.

[edit]
actually, I was just about to close the SuperSegaGT-tab when I noticed that SEGA just gets it:

they’re putting GT300 first, (seemingly?) know the difference between the Boxer-BRZ and the Mother-chassis GT86, and slap the ballsy Prius next to both.
I like that notion, very much so!

1 Like

Gaelco’s previously un-emulated 2D isometric racer World Rally 2 now working in most recent MAME build.

3 Likes

I think we need to do an isometric racing games thread

1 Like

Intense desire.

Throbbing but manageable desire.

4 Likes

I did not realize this game had lots of graphics + swoopy camera angle drifts + hachiroku + twisty hills.

It has so much graphics. It’s pretty worksmenlike otherwise, but I played a lot of it just based on how pretty it was

All the FMV cutscenes are sure something as well

Driver: San Francisco is a game where you have super powers and can possess different drivers. It’s really silly.