Fading Brakelight Obscurity II - Championship Edition (Part 1)

okay yeah! i think they’re really great too, i have worked my way through all 3 of them at this point and they all have their quirks and issues but they’re just solid Fun and i love that i can sink 10 minutes or 10 hours into them and still feel like i’ve accomplished some stuff. and they improve so much between each game that it’s rly impressive

1 Like

They’re right in the sweet spot between arcade and sim on default settings. Heavy enough to feel nice, light enough to dish out mulligans without rewinding constantly.

1 Like

Microsoft please acquihire BeamNG.drive devs and poach rFactor 2/iRacing tire-modeling hotshots, give entire team to legacy AM2 creatives, lock them all in room chained to food/poop tubes forever.

"…DiRT 4 will resonate with all players regardless of whether they consider themselves an arcade or sim racer. The beauty is that you can choose exactly what type of experience you want to have, and then play the game on your terms. If you want something fun that doesn’t require in-depth knowledge of automotive engineering and vehicle dynamics, then you can just dive into the game and have a great time. If you loved the challenge of DiRT Rally, then you can switch to the Sim Handling mode and have an experience that is even closer to the real deal than we managed to achieve with DiRT Rally

http://www.redbull.com/en/games/stories/1331841547561/dirt-4-interview-red-bull-games

Interesting. I was just assuming 4 was solely a return to arcadey physics.

Also, golly:

1 Like
2 Likes

100% true hero, taken the dreams of us all and made real.

1 Like

I wonder if the Jag XJ220 approach

to hidden headlamps - more specifically, pop-out-in style, would still be feasible today, re: crumple zone legal shenanigans that are said to dictate the apparent lack of Miata-style headlamps for years now.

Sure, the XJ220-style headlamps are surely nightmares in terms of being a sinkhole for water/snow/mud, the mechanism should work for at least 10-15 years, and why would you go that far when you can slap-dash those lights behind a clear screen and be done with it? - but still, you could woo those sentimental idiots who wouldn’t be able to afford the (cool) cars that feature those vintage headlamps?
But then we wouldn’t be able (or willing) to buy those new cars, huh …

It’s the roundness as much as the pop-ups that gets me. To get non-angular headlights on a USDM car today you’re limited to a Beetle, Fiat 500, Mini, or Porsche.

1 Like

whoa

8 Likes

Oh my god

They should release this as a standalone like the F&F expansion. Looks killer!

Like. What. The. Hell.

For a moment i was all "OK, SONIC is missing in that blue car and who's he battling w/" and then i realized that this is even _more_ insane than just a Sanickart2 HD. Baffled. Just baffled tbh!

The 90’s Arcade Racer is back.

5 Likes

Oh man I want this so bad. Why didn’t they put the dang expansion bundle on sale?

Interesting. Virtua Tennis 4 and whatever version of Melty Blood released on this hardware also working, apparently.

Apparently there’s a Dave & Busters in Florida that has/had a Daytona 3 setup already. Other commentary on the site this was posted to mentions Sega promising the release version would have improved visuals over the version previewed last year, for whatever that is worth.

2 Likes

My grandpa has a Mk2 Sprite in his barn! I wanna restore it.

8 Likes

Do(olittle) it

Time to go take a dive into the weird world of MG enthusiast web forums.

1 Like

Last time I was looking for a car I tried convincing myself spending money on an MG, maybe say a decent MGB GT, was a sane thing for a human to do and failed. I’m selling my car, currently, and every so often lapse back into this deluded madness. My father fell victim to a similar brain rot and purchased a roller B roadster when I was a child, it sat for a few years and eventually disappeared one day (he probably gave it away?).

God speed.

2 Likes

^^^ that’s why I am only allowing myself to develop an inexplicable urge for (rather) contemporary cars I would never need, e.g. this

C4 coupe … NA 177bhp, inline-4 and a little chíc to go w/ it.

esp. love the weird rev counter in front of the wheel and the speedo moved to the center, because why wouldn’t you …

and then I try to remember that no, I don’t need it, don’t need it, don’t even wanna have it, for sure, yes, sure ………

tl;dr:
go for the MG! Have a wonderful time w/ it. Getting it to run is half the fun.