Fading Brakelight Obscurity II - Championship Edition (Part 1)

Man, I never even tried playing with a steering wheel. That’s completely alien to me. Even more so because I don’t drive. I’ve never driven a car before. I did drive a forklift though, once.

If anyone’s got an old steering wheel lying around on the attic that they don’t use anymore I’d totally take it off your hands. I’d pay for shipping and whatever it’s still worth to you, as long as that’s cheaper than buying a new one

Oh hell yeah, I was actually wondering whether it was supposed to be this way or if the braking pedal was damaged. Still haven’t gotten completely comfortable w/ it, but started to accept it as it is, after considering switching to using the clutch pedal for braking.

Also, fwiw, in PrjCars i’ve dialed the FB down to ~1 click above zero, and it’s cool that way. #frenchCarPussyOKiGetitSorry

[quote]The learning curve is a bit more than I anticiapted. I tried with Forza 6
and I was oversteering like crazy and wondering why my brakes weren’t
working till I dialed in the settings. Even then with something super
grippy I’m oversteering super hard. It feels weird because my real car
(A Ford Fiesta Ecoboost. Had to move on from the Clio) also has some bad
oversteer in real life because it will just dart into a corner as soon
as you turn the wheel. But I know how to correct it there but I’m just
finding it hard on games. Happened on DIRT Rally as well where I slammed
a FWD Mini into a tree because I tried to correct the oversteer and
lost control. [/quote]
one thing you do have to get used to is that you just cannot string those moves together that you can do using a gamepad, simply because full-lock-2-full-lock time is basically negligible on pad, and takes a while w/ a wheel. However, you’re trading that for the ability to have more control about your racing line, usually resulting in cleaner racing/more resourceful management of tires/car due to a smoother style of traversing corners/chicanes/racetracks in general.
And then there’s the usual fare of driving dynamics that change w/ a wheel, e.g. applying your brake w/ gamepad trigger != that super-hard brake pedal where you almost have to mash the pedal to the floor.

So, try seeing whether it is the braking that unsettles the car more than it would w/ the gamepad, because this will pretty much cause in game more pronounced weight shifting to the front taking place, which’ll unload your rear end and likely end up sending you in gravel traps backwards (4 greater glory, of course). Also consider that you now can apply the gas more progressively out of corners, i.e. braking hard, progressively applying gas earlier with more control over steering should end up having you exiting some/most corners quicker than you can do with a pad.

theory & stuff, of course, but compare replays w/ wheel and pad, and you can see the different lines you start taking.

I think it’s just hard to translate years of gaming experience into thinking like driving a real car once you get started. I had trouble with F1 2016 so I had a run at Forza again with light levels of assist and I was able to wheel an Indy Car around Sonoma pretty elegantly once I started trying to put in my mind to drive like a car and let the wheel thread my hands and correct itself instead of trying to snap it back into place myself. Though I’d rank Sonoma as a very smooth drive in Forza despite it being a rollercoaster with lots of hills. On Watkins Glen the wheel just jumps around everywhere because of the track (Which got a repave this year) and the rumble and haptic triggers on the pad are ridiculous (There’s an endurance race on it that left my hand practically numb) so will be interesting to see how that does.

But then just after I made that post, I went out and when I was coming home in some light rain, the back end of my fiesta stepped out a little while I was driving around a roundabout. Nothing serious that I couldn’t correct but it was a bit of a shock. Cars just throw all sorts of surprises at you.

1 Like

i can only recommend driving giant, comfy french limos/barges, when you manage to make these step out, you already crossed a point where reason does not apply anymore.

(in)famously exempt, however,

is the Xantia Activa. Watch how the Ferrari and Beemer are celebrating body-rolling where french wizzards decided to keep the suspension level. Even beyond what’s considered madness … but i digress.

What I can always recommend when someone tells me about some grip issues, is this:
Opt for a proper tire company that knows what it’s doing, check some reviews/print mags for recent tests, and pay the premium if it ranks well. Michelin, Bridgestone, Goodyear, whatever fits best in regards to tire noise, grip level in mixed conditions, stopping distance, economy figures.
Always keep in mind that you only have four, kinda square patches (about ~A4 size) that connect you to the road, and everyone would be well served to choose a product that keeps the shape of these patches square and even for as long as possible. Physics like to have a say as well, as does weather … and, above all, $$$
It’s expensive, yes. But so is your car, and I’d rather have that around longer, rather than saving 100ish bucks now and shopping for a new car a year later.

So, just for reference:
i’ve put four of these ( http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Goodyear/Eagle-F1-Asymmetric-2.htm ) on this

Have you googled for settings for your wheel? The community is very resourceful in this regard, e.g. …

looking here, you see that there are always people not happy with stock feedback and adapt it - including myself. I always turn down FFB because I want to be able to use my wrists for quite some time, and numbing hand sounds like it’d come back to haunt you when/if you get old, so I’d act on that quickly (might just be that I have been spoiled by french barge’ing, tho …)

I still haven't had a chance to take a spin in a Honda NSX w/ the wheel yet, and this is, by far, the car I've driven most across all kinds of racing games. It is my benchmark for a simulation, to _such_ an extent, yes. And I would like to see how I'd fare driving it with a wheel, because using a pad, I've pretty much mastered it like no other, and it'd be quite interesting to see how the physics would now "feel" that you just cannot lock-2-lock correct the back stepping out during quick mid- to high-speed directions changes in succession, e.g. like the downhill esses on Road Atlanta. I thought about getting Forza 6 just _for that_, but then it'd feel a bit silly doing that. Well, now that the slim's around the corner, might think about that _again_ ……

Oh my.

… is that an inlet. on the hardtop. of a convertible … really?

……… but, with that kind of sound, I can almost forgive that kind of thing ~~~

1 Like

It’s that time of year again and Robutt was a particularly foolish whale who bought the Super Turbo Nutter Bastard Digital Deluxe version because he couldn’t wait a few days (Also the disc price was pretty terrible all around where he lives).

More later when the servers stop crapping themselves.

Early impressions: More Horizon 1 than 2 in a really good way with a hint of that lost Project Gotham sequel lurking in its heart.

1 Like

The scoop on the roof is so the occupants can get at least some ventilation. Rally cars don’t have AC and the side glass is usually replaced with fixed panes of lexan.

if it wasn’t so dangerous of stuff getting pushed into the survival cell of a rally car (and especially rally-cars), i’d think it’d be great to see the fiat dropping its top, miata-style

Anyway, even GT and endurance racing realized that it is helpful if drivers get some fresh air, and I know that NASCAR also had some issues w/ ventilation in the past (one Talladega race comes to mind that had a handful(?) of yellows only and a pretty long green-2-checkered run (70?100? laps) that left the winner not being able to stand for the first few mintes after the race.

So, I’d expect AC for rally cars to catch on at some point … inevitably being followed by (sometimes excellent & mostly british) jokes about how modern day softy-drivers need aircon driving on perfectly normal roads, where real men™ wrestled monsters through a wood with what amounts barely to a “track” (sometimes followed up by mention of the Delta S4 and the 205 GTi roadcar that went backwards through hedges).

……… yeah, the 205 … saw one yesterday and still love how purpose-built it looks.

re FH3:
is that fiat lumping a spare wheel around? you cannot get flat tires in the game, can you …

Carryng a tyre is a weight option if you want to help bring your car down to a class limit but it’s only available on Rally Spec cars (Three categories. Retro Rally, Modern Rally and Rally Monsters). No flats and damage is mostly the same as any other Forza so if you thwack your car hard enough it will kill the engine, aero and handling on sim damage settings. Though the Offroads and Buggies will take a bit more of a licking.

After a few days of Horizon 3, I can say it’s enthusiastically weird. Almost dreamlike. You start as the “Boss” and unlock new areas by doing races, bucket lists and “PR Stunts” (Jumps, Drifts, Speed cameras) and everyone plays along like they know its a fantasy but it’s cool, you are in control. They nerfed car costs pretty hard so every car is very much affordable and you can go really stupid on your upgrades if you want. It feels like they went from the semi-seriousness of Horizon 2 to full blown absurdity and revelling in it.

Speaking of absurdity. Maxed out an Isetta, Swapped a BMW motorcycle engine into it along with a turbocharger and an AWD swap to create Memes from dreams after someone put this incredible paint up. It handles like if you added a turbo charger to a shopping trolley but no less hilarious. I’d make more pics but it’s clear they severely underestimated how much people wanted this game and the servers they use for the paints and photos have been under siege since launch. Oh well. Any requests and I’ll see what I can catch if the servers work. (I have the Warthog as well if people want that too)

5 Likes

I approve and endorse the SANIC Isetta. Very much indeed.

Found the Reliant. Tried to steer it out of the festival to the right. Picture is the aftermath of the attempt using the stock version

10/10

4 Likes

http://www.royalpolygon.com/vienna

1 Like

No idea why the Stratos got bumped to 500,000 cr when it used to come in around 60,000cr in previous games.

Still, she still plays well in the dirt. Virtual money well spent.

4 Likes

She sucks nitro… with Phase 4 heads!

600 horsepower through the wheels!

She’s meanness set to music and the bitch is born to run!

1 Like

I somehow get the feeling that you’re enjoying Horizon 3, hmmmm ~~~ (not surprisingly tho, those screens look gorgeous ;__; )

I wish I had the money or the cracking ability to play this game right now

Every time I played FH3 for the last week the “What should I do?” option kept sending me to bucket list #23. I think I had more attempts getting that Audi rally car to the city than Ornstein and Smough.