Fading Brakelight Obscurity II - Championship Edition (Part 1)

kunos said the 2019 season will be free dlc

1 Like

good news, thanks!

i’ve checked and planned my vacation from the 8th of this month onwards yesterday evening, and there may be a window where i could play this for a bit with my wheel/chair-combo… just need to get this game when the time comes.

Grid is pretty underwhelming, but it has some great arcade feeling drift stages and that’s honestly all you need to play.

1 Like

Codies are still very good at making satisfying racing games that feel great to play, but they’ve completely lost any semblance of personality they once had. Gone are the days of thumping techno-orchestra music reaching a crescendo as you come to the final hour of Le Mans, big dumb floaty 3D UIs, or blazing trails through the Mexican desert blaring embarrassing Top 40 pop rock and slammin’ back some Monster. Now it’s all flat UIs, friendly tutorial voiceovers, and just this overarching stiff and straight-faced tone that they were originally trying to get away from. “Motorsport just got exciting again” and all that. Guess it’s coming full circle.

3 Likes

I really disliked how GRID felt to play. I tried to get used to but it just felt janky somehow. The force feedback was just never right. The grip breakaway was just very strange feeling.
From what I recall I could throw the car through a turn with neutral inputs okay but power oversteer seemed to cause too sudden a rotation in most of the cars and I had a really hard time inducing understeer in all the cars. I think I had to compromise by reducing the steering angle to like 120 degrees.

3 Likes

Oh I thought “Washington DLC” was a play on words

1 Like

same here, Washington State, not DC…

looks cooler here in video than it did in photos, neat

cool

3 Likes

before i click - that is an mx-5tingray, right?

It looks like a classic muscle car. Except-----for the the hood/top portion of the front end, reminds me of the new Camaro/Corvette. Especially that shot where they look at it straight on, at the front.

So I got OnRush because I have a PS4 right now and it’s an arcade racing game and I wanted to write it off after the first couple races but then I gave it another chance and I’m so glad I did. The physics are a bit weird but I think they make sense. Because OnRush is car Joust. Gotta be higher or better yet behind and then touch (fiercely).

Making my way through the single player campaign right now (multiplayer needed an update and I didn’t wanna wait) really enjoying the different ways the vehicles strengths and weaknesses play out in different race modes and I’d say there’s roughly as much content here as in Driveclub (minus the DLC) so I guess almost 10 hours. Which is all I need.

tl;dr: 60FPS car Joust is so fucking exhilarating I love it. (I think the Xbone version is only 30 FPS unless they fixed it in an update.)

Also: Driveclub Bikes is the best arcade bike racing game since Hang On GP '95. And it makes me wonder, why are Western arcade race game studios doomed to fail when they make awesome games? First Sega Rally Revo now this. Fuck.

5 Likes

Update: I installed the 4.00 update and now every time I take another player down slow-mo kicks in and it messes me up and I don’t like it.

The Rush (mode) in OnRush that you enter when you are powered up is literally a rush (of adrenaline) and seamlessly piling up takedowns is integral to that moment.

Also playing the single player online awards some new currency and experience points for god knows what (cosmetic upgrades) and it takes so darn long to tally up after each race I don’t like it either.

So I deleted the game and installed 1.00 from the disc again and turned the internet off and enjoyed myself some more. Though yeah I am weird and I might get used to the slowdown and there’s like 4 new courses in the update so I must and will return to it eventually.

Also yeah I totally know that the official title is ONRUSH or Onrush but I mean come on it should really be OnRush because how can you not pay tribute to SEGA when you make an arcade race game. (Also people (or only Birch) have been calling it like that on this forum before me. Because people here are cool like that.)

2 Likes

Final update: Indescribable feeling you get when the lockdown race isn’t being locked down and the tide changes and the opposing team is running away with it and you take the gamble and switch out the tank for the bike and build up your Rush meter and when they just need one more point and are all defending the zone glowing bright orange you get into the zone and enter RUSH MODE and music kicks in and you trailblaze and you take down three of them in a blink it all turns blue and you just go for it and floor it and turn it all around. Those are the moments.

Anyway, I just finished the single player and of course Evo doesn’t give me a credit roll, just like in Driveclub I gotta play the credits manually from the menu like a creep. What. the. hell. Dear product of my solitary pastime interest: I don’t appreciate it when the online focus seeps into and diminishes my beloved single player experience. Can’t they just coexist? Like in the very excellent (not The) Need for Speed and The Crew? They gave me my credit roll. Didn’t I earn it? Gotta keep playing, can’t tell me it’s the end, game over, game never over, game is a service, etc. Getting my shit fucked by random kids on the internet awaits.

And I mean I like playing with people (sometimes when I am not too anxious) and it makes sense for OnRush but so does an arcade mode with stage progression or an endless mode chasing high scores and where is that? Is it the training mode they added in the update? I sure hope so.

Maybe this is why they failed, too much focus on online. Even though they do have a solid single player experience. But nobody knows or cares? It’s all in the marketing. Maybe? I wonder if they would’ve focused more on offline if they would’ve gotten the Gran Turismo license for Driveclub. Maybe not. Maybe only Kaz knows. Though last thing I’ve heard, Gran Turismo Sport’s Gran Turismo mode is but a shadow of its former self. Guess it’s time to play that one next while I still own my PS Plus-given rights to do so. And who knows, maybe some games are better off experienced together. Actually, I am almost somewhat certain.

2 Likes

finally get around to drop this link here. Gonna see whether i can catch the demo footage (10 minutes) they are doing in the Pathé cinema in Le Mans, but i think it will be overbooked so horribly that i will not be able to get a ticket.
Still, gonna try my best if i am around anyway!

1 Like

I hate this less than I should

3 Likes

I suggest yall read Go Like Hell which documents this rivalry, mostly from the Ford perspective. I kinda get the feeling that the actual specifics of the stupidity and insanity of the GT40 program will not be captured in this movie though I am excited to see it.

1 Like

answer is no, i didn’t!

However.

Obey the Symmetry of the GT…

1 Like

viva l’Italia
3 Likes