EVERYBODY VOTES 2 PART II: THE SELECTBUTTON.NET TOP 64 VIDCONS 2020 (voting closes september 22, 2020, midnight cst!!)

Oh hey cool Mirror’s Edge made the cut I wonder what it ended up matched up against?

*checks

…fuck.

Mirror’s Edge is a tremendous game that 100% got its main mode and side modes crossed up. The main story mode is a bit of a mess with awful combat and challenges that rarely require too much of the frankly impressive set of moves you are given to traverse the world with. The time trials have zero combat and require you to fully embrace your abilities to truly excel there.

Sure you can just jump over a high fence, but that requires climbing over the top bit which slows you down. You can also pull your legs up to jump over lower ones cleanly. You can also wall run beforehand and leap off at just the right moment to actually push off the top of the fence a bit and pick up momentum rather than lose it.

The time trials also reveal how clever the level design can be as once you are forced to get to learn the intricacies of your moveset you notice all these random bits that exist that you can actually use to get through a section much quicker, and the 3 star time trial times often require you to get your pathing through an area as optimal as possible.

Link’s Awakening is pretty great, don’t get me wrong. I would hate to run a negative ad against it, but if I am forced to…

…do you really want to vote for a game that had those unavoidable triple text boxes every time you bumped into a crystal? What kind of message does that send to the children?

16 Likes