EVERYBODY VOTES 2 PART II: THE SELECTBUTTON.NET TOP 64 VIDCONS 2020 (voting closes september 22, 2020, midnight cst!!)

FF6 was the best game of all time when i was 13. i now find it to be the worst of the “good” ff games. it’s underwritten, relying nearly entirely on the player to fill in the gaps and add the emotional heft necessary to care. on the other hand, its cutscenes are absolute masterpieces of execution, from the huge opera scene to even the smallest conversations, possibly the pinnacle of sprite blocking as a storytelling device.

rez was boring even when i was 13

LA, easy peasy. i don’t think this needs a hard sell–its overworld is pleasurably labyrinthine, its dungeons are “good” at worst, it’s one of the only zelda games to feel like an actual place, and the graphics and music are perfect. It’s got a warm heart and a hard edge.

3d land is the best 3d mario has ever been or ever will be, probably. it makes me feel a lot of things. on the other hand, i hadn’t heard of sky fantasy until this poll started, but I streamed it blind for 4 hours over the weekend and yeah, I’m voting Sky Odyssey. thanks yall

Out Run. i don’t want to get into the failings of FFT here, but i don’t have to because it would lose to Out Run anyway. For one thing, Out Run has the best soundtrack of all time.

Bubble Bobble. BIY’s endless expansion is intoxicating, but BB succeeds by exhausting its design to a degree that has possibly never been done again. It goes harder and deeper than you can possibly expect, while never crossing the line into outright bullshit.

I don’t even know enough about these games to form a sassy offhand opinion, so i abstain.

Not a fan of GH, YN sounds probably good :wink:

haven’t played. they both seem great. abstain.

I haven’t played Silent Hill but fuck Klonoa. boring ass game

i’m not voting for dota, tho i DO feel weird voting for both elevator action returns AND bubble bobble.

This sucks! Super Mario Bros. In addition to whatever everyone else has said for the last 35 years, what always strikes me about SMB is its formal patterns. I love how the first half of the game foreshadows the back half with easymode versions of the same levels. I love how the first, third, and fourth levels of each world are always Ground, Sky, Fortress, and the second is usually something special (underground, swimming)… except when it’s not. I love how the game is cleanly divided into halves, with a difficulty spiike AND formal variance starting with 5-1 (5-1 is the first bullet bill stage, for example, and 5-2 is the first multi-type stage). And then world 8 is just 4 Ground levels in a row. The increasingly broken staircases, the slow introduction of bullet bills, the underwater fire bars of the final fortress–it’s a helluva thing. Sorry Animal Crossing :c

im real bad at playing the games this time around

This hurts, but DQ3. I don’t have the emotional energy to say more.

12 Likes