we're in a guitar center hanging out now (formerly the electronic music tech appreciation thread)

Yeah buddy!

o shittt

1 Like

uh ohhhhh

1 Like

wild

If you’re already familiar with East Coast subtractive synthesis, the volca modular feels like it originated in The Upside Down, thus instantly evoking curiosity and experimentation, because unless you’re already initiated, the results can be less than intuitive.

yeah bruh

also, that verb

3 Likes

that looks kind of amazing

but watch me get obsessed with the volca drum

WOOOOOHOOOOO

cool

16 steps + chaining. BUT I realise now that I forgot to mention what ACT.STEP does. It enters a mode where you can turn on and off individual steps in the sequencer, per track. Effectively making the tracks different independent lengths. This way drifting polymeter rhythmical patterns appear, which do not loop as often. It’s one way to make patterns feel longer, and less loop like.

Neat.

3 Likes

The only things I have been able to parse from the small bit of literature I’ve read is that there is some recall implementation and backwards compatibility. Anybody have the inside scoop?

Fuck an actual duck

If they nail this I think the entire world can quit retroing old gear

2 Likes

it’s been a minute but I’ve basically gone full hardware with an octatrack, gba micro running nanoloop and roland tb 03 with an erica synths acidbox 3 and empress zoia as a send chain all going into an Analog Heat

been working towards this setup for the better part of this year and I finally managed to sell off enough stuff to finish it! I’m very happy with this

the empress zoia is kind of amazing - modular but it actually works out of the box and it’s intuitive! and it has oscillators wtf? so it’s handling my reverb and ALSO sending cv to the acidbox for sync, which is something I didn’t expect one box to be able to handle

1 Like

I am kind of obsessed with this guy’s work now lol

Haha, pleased to hear that. It’s cool to get new stuff directly from the inventor. Wish he had the resources to make just basic UI’s though. He just released a new variant on his modulated delay called Vibrato. Looks pretty sick.

I’ve taken a break, mostly, from DAW work after a bit of a traumatic crunch job but look forward to some experimentation with the new Biquad filter and its variants.

I’ve told my bosses at inMusic to straight up buy the man and all his wares (so we can put them, UI’ed up, in MPC or whatever - hey, it’s Linux-based after all) several times at this point

Wow, had no idea you work there. In a past life I worked in MI press and probably met some of those bosses.

All his stuff is licensed through MIT open source so I believe they would not have to buy as long as they give attribution. Plus, everyone who has the plugins has the code, right? I don’t know how that stuff gets handled these days but hey, if he can get a big check, he deserves the shit out of it.

electronic music technology appreciation:
it’s perfect
it’s $2700
1 Like

I made a couple of small but very pleasing purchases this week.

I really like it so far. The nostalgia factor is there to an extent but I think that the main strength is as effect rather than a simulation. It’s fantastic as a weird chorus. One of the better lofi emulators I’ve tried. Fun to play with and hard to get a bad sound. No demo but if you have a spare $20 for audio software you won’t be disappointed.

A nice $50 BBD chorus pedal I was finally able to use in studio today. Three settings, no knobs, no way to make it sound weird or bad. The sound in the video is very accurate to what I heard today and I just checked back on my recordings to make sure. If you check other demo videos though they really only show how the pedal sounds in mono. This is because you need a 1/4" TRS to dual 1/4" TS cable to use this in stereo. Most stereo pedals have two separate mono outputs. It’s a strange choice but they probably saved a bit of copper.

One more kind of big caveat to my June-60 is that it adds a lot of gain when engaged. I plan on doing some tests when I have a chance (was working with a production partner today) but with guitar plugged direct into an RME Fireface it must have been approaching a 8db difference. While it could be cool to have a chorus that not only gets swirly but also kicks in a good deal of gain it’s definitely important to know. You can turn off both the I and II buttons to leave the amps in the pedal engaged but if you are using this as a stompbox you would need a pretty ginger foot-press to apply accurately.

The gain issue was not so noticeable when used on a synth so there may be some impedance voodoo. For me, this seems to be a studio pal to help fill the stereo chorus void created after my vintage Ibanez CS-505 fizzled in January. I gotta fix that thing, dammit

I’d really quite like an RME UFX+
The power
The speed

i finally got a verbos harmonic oscillator

3 Likes

this is a real cool looking pedal, and the newer TC plugin control units also look temptingly cool - kinda a shame they are just controllers.

that looks like it’s ripped straight out of an airplane cockpit