early first-person polygon-based games

It seems to be fully polygonal. Panning the camera is somewhat smooth but you are never shown moving around in first person, just teleporting to fixed spots on a grid, which is either a deliberate design decision or a way to work around a limitation of the tech.

The remake, Sentinel Returns is, of course fully realtime 3D

2D images with alpha channels constrained to face the camera may be used in 3D graphics. They are common for rendering vegetation, to approximate distant objects, or for particle effects. These are sometimes called “billboards” or “Z-sprites.” The technique was most heavily used in Sega game machines in the late 1990s, prior to the era of polygon rendering. If rendered on the fly to cache an approximate view of an underlying 3D model, such sprites are called impostors. Modern hardware may have a specific mode for rendering such point sprites without needing each corner to be defined, or these may be generated by vertex shaders.

e: i’m leaving this here but it was actually intended for the sprite-based thread - i’m copying it to that thread

Metaltech: Earthsiege

Metaltech: Battledrome

Earthsiege 2 might be too fancy for what you’re thinking but maybe not.

And if ES 2 is borderline I figure Starsiege and consequently Tribes are totally out.

G-Nome maybe?

And getting away from giant robots, you make this thread when I’m playing with Chasm: The Rift again.

It’s post Quake but still interesting technically since it’s basically 2.5D but with models instead of sprites. In the modern context it almost feels like a GZDoom mod or something, though with far more constrained areas both horizontally and vertically than Doom tends to.

Quake made sparse use of dynamic lighting, using it mainly for gunfire, some projectiles and explosions, along with occasional flickering and strobing lights on maps. Quake’s lighting was primarily pregenerated lightmaps, and I think that’s where the big deal was, all the pre calculation involved, especially for architecture where it was predetermined what the player could see and where and improving performance by not drawing shit the player couldn’t see from their position. Hence why back in the day people had to leave their computers running all night just running Vis on a map.

1 Like

But notice that the objects don’t change. If they were rendered in real-time they would move a little when you move the camera past. It looks more like you’re panning across a bitmap.

The Sentinel does indeed use a special perspective projection quite unlike the one that is usually used in real-time 3d games.

Basically it’s like one of those 360° panorama pictures, but you never see enough of it to really notice (and it’s only the vertices that are affected, the lines are still straight so you’ll have to look at several faces at once to notice the curve. Pause there for example). The purpose is to avoid redrawing the whole screen on each movement (which you’d have to do with a standard perspective projection); to rotate the camera you just have to scroll the current screen and just draw the newly revealed lines or columns. So you only get a full redraw on teleports. It didn’t keep the full rendered panorama in memory (there wasn’t enough memory for that) but that trick allowed to rotate the camera in real time on polygonal grid landscapes much more detailed than what the platforms of its time could handle.

It’s nothing like impostors though, just an unusual projection and a great trick.

4 Likes

Thanks Chevluh!

this is seriously great info; where’d you source this information

if the answer is “from my own expertise and knowledge completely unrelated to this game” that’s acceptable

sion ii

1 Like

Solvalou

Starblade

1 Like

thank you!!!