Dope Box art

Swingerz_Golf_Coverart

2 Likes

14 Likes

Mario Brothers (FC, 1983)

The katakana of the game title below Mario spells out “Mario Brothers” rather than “Bros.” ^ _^

5 Likes

8 Likes

True of all the Mario games with Bros in the title

Speaking of which I really do like the SMB and SMB3 famicom art and how well they go together

6 Likes

Ah, cool. : ) And that got me curious about the FC Doki Doki Panic and Super Mario USA (later JP version of the US SMB2) packaging:

Well, I like the pink ^ _^

7 Likes

Oh and SMB2 JP (aka “The Lost Levels”): this one went a different route altogether:

4 Likes

WWF Superstars (GB JP)

By Rare Ltd. JP version is all Japanese menus so I’d stick with US. Cart label on the JP one is so sweet though.

4 Likes

Rhythm Tengoku (GBA)

Last game developed by Nintendo for the GBA.

5 Likes

Batman Returns (SFC)

Art by José Luis García-López.

10 Likes

José Luis García-López art from the SNES version manual:

12 Likes

From the manual for The Death and Return of Superman (SNES).

The art kinda looks similar to John Byrne’s style for The Eradicator and The Cyborg, and very Walt Simonson-like for The Man of Steel. I can’t find any indication that Byrne worked on Death-era Superman stuff though. Simonson definitely did do a lot of John Henry Irons art, although I can’t find a credit to him for this drawing in particular.

7 Likes

14 Likes

11 Likes

what an unfortunately terrible game, an ecology sim without any play at all

Wow! A Famicom game based on the Finnish outdoor bowling game Mölkky, by a Finnish developer even, from the looks of it (“Yukihrok”). I can’t find anything on the game OR the developer! Er hm I guess because it’s 1996, well after the Famicom’s actual run–but the year Mölkky was actually invented. The cart is made to look like Nintendo’s 1984 Golf

AHHH I see, it’s part of a current Japanese Famicom case design competition. ^ _^ “My Famicase Exhibition”

I got got good. Awesome entry. : D

OH. MY. GOSH.

So…many…

5 Likes

not just me then? i gave it a try a while back and felt like i had to have been missing something as it seemed there was basically nothing to do besides raise and lower terrain

I had a similar experience. Player interactions are too indirect and limited to create any sustained builder game loops.

You could frame it as a digital terrarium (the art style and tiny playfield might be going for that), but it doesn’t have the clarity of something like Mountain, and it’s trapped in a very busy, very game-y interface.

3 Likes

9 Likes

Donald Land (Data East, FC, 1988)

5 Likes