DO U WANNA LIKE MY DRAGON?

also create a clan is gain ground enough

1 Like

Yakuza 6 has only reaffirmed my discomfort in arcades; I can’t get past the first Fantasy Zone boss on easy. I only tried Outrun once, but I got pretty much the same result. Meanwhile I finished every batting cage challenge and I’m spending hours on darts and mahjong, no problem.

I tried, badly, to teach @HOBO how to play mahjong while he was streaming Yakuza 6

4 Likes

Yeah, my only experience with mahjong is an old PC solitaire game I used to play, so while the tiles are familiar, I’m pretty awful so far! But this is the kind of challenge I’m comfortable with, even if my performance is terrible. I need to read up on scoring again and how points are distributed in a draw.

1 Like

Points are spread evenly across players who are tenpai (waiting on one tile to be able to declare a win)

1 Like

If I learned how to play Dota I can learn how to play mahjong, right?

Probably not. Holy shit there is so much going on.

I think I’m nearing the end of the game. I unlocked the social skills very early but since I didn’t unlock the baseball game until very late I haven’t gotten access to this Cheers stuff. This really bums me out. I keep talking shit about how I hate numbers going up but I’m running out of numbers to increase and it’s kinda sapping my motivation? It seems like the side stories are mainly linked to side games in this one and none of them are nearly as good as the hostess bar or real estate games in 0. Just lemme do fetch quests okay.

Are there no stories for the arcade games? I fell in love with the girl who played Outrun in 0. I want that to happen again, but with Virtua Fighter, and in real life, not a video game.

4 Likes

you can mostly play mahjong without knowing all the rules if you just focus on making 3-4 tile sets. A set can be a straight sequence of increasing numbers (1-2-3 or 6-7-8 or whatever) or all the same number (666 or 999 or 2222 frex). You’re racing to get 4 sets and a pair in your hand. On each turn, you draw a tile and discard a tile. On another player’s turn, if they have a discarded tile that lets you complete a set, you can take that tile and discard another tile from your hand, but you have to reveal the completed set. Its better to not reveal sets, generally but if you get a 4 tile set you HAVE to reveal it. That’s basically all you need to know to make basic decisions.

1 Like

Mahjong is definitely better in this one since the chinese character tiles have the numbers in the corner now. Before that I had to get my girlfriend to keep reminding me which one is which.

The Cheers stuff should be able to be unlocked after the baseball minigame becomes available. Just walk past that bar that is south of the Hirose family HQ. It’s weird that they locked it behind the baseball stuff, but I think the reason for it is that some of the bar patrons are able to be recruited for the team.

The baseball minigame is honestly more confusing for me now than Mahjong. I am kind of oblivious of the rules of baseball beyond the basics, and I never played any sports manager games. Most of the lingo and abbreviations are lost on me. Lucky for the most part it is just hitting R1 to speed up and occasionally hitting a ball in real time though

Oh yeah, I also definitely did not get the baseball minigame the one time I played it.

I feel like I’m getting pretty close to the end and I haven’t done a single clan battle other than the one they make you do when you unlock it; I didn’t even realize I had to do something specific to trigger more battles until I went back to Kamurocho and suddenly it felt like the storyline was nearing completion. I am constantly fascinated by the way this game balances (and periodically fails to balance) narrative progression, “main story” content, and open-world fucking around.

This should be an entire game IMO. Built in the same Yakuza engine, no combat, and just wandering around late 80s / early 90s Tokyo playing Sega games and making friends.

2 Likes

What if it was like a chill MMO. Pick your best retro outfit and hit the arcade

1 Like

My favorite thing about this so far is when I really needed to get to the docks NOW for a story, but because I walked by Cheers, I got dragged into having a chill conversation about a dude’s daughter getting a boyfriend. It was a good encapsulation of how often Kiryu is like “I really need to do this RIGHT NOW! But also, lemme go race toy cars for like two hours on the way to doing that.” For some reason, this is really charming to me in these games.

3 Likes

I love the Cheers stuff. Though now I’ve done all the missions, I have this sad feeling that if the world is supposed to progress with the story, Kaz’s new besties won’t know what’s happened when he permanently disappears.

Also Gangland Wars is made so much more manageable with the super secret codes for hidden characters. And fun!

I actually cleared half of gangland just using the characters you get from the game, and it wasn’t hard at all. I did add a code for a kiryu at one point because it felt weird that he wasn’t out there fighting on his own, but it wasn’t too rough otherwise.

3 Likes

you know kiryu being asexual honestly would make 100% sense

3 Likes

I keep saying “Kiryu is just like me. So good and strong and never fucks.” Nice to know it’s actually true.

But I’m not asexual. I’m just too cool to fuck. There’s a difference.

Like, Kiryu logging onto a cam site in a net café and hunt and peck typing MY SAUSAGE is very comedic and, like, chaste? Go play that game then go read that Chester Brown book where he logs on in public so he can write reviews of prostitutes. Night and day shit there. Pretty sure you can judge someone’s character by just how horny and judgmental they’re willing to get on a public computer.

If you ever see someone writing a Yelp review at the library or on their mobile make a mental note to never, ever interact with them.

Anyway I beat Yakuza 6 last week and there’s been a void in my life since. I’ve mostly filled it with work and napping but I miss that virtual Japan. There’s a ton of shit I’d criticize about this game but I can’t bother*. The ending was incredibly melodramatic. I simultaneously laughed and cried, which is my ideal state of being, even though I kept thinking “this would have been even stronger had they cut a ton of exposition” but hey. Hey. This is a good game, even though much of it could be so much better.

But it’ll never be better. This shit always gonna be Yakuza and it’s gonna be made for dads and wannabe dads and that’s fine. Maybe someone else will someday make a game that’ll be all about exploring a city and interacting with weirdos and solving problems…but only if you really want to. Still ain’t enough freedom to tell people to go fuck themselves in Yakuza. Even if there’s little incentive to actually complete quests for loot cuz there’s like, no loot in 6.

Anyway this game let me go on pay dates with a pro-wrestler. 9/10. One point deducted cuz Saki Akai isn’t Meiko Satomura or Chihiro Hashimoto or Aja Kong or someone who could actually hurt me in real life.

OK I can: there’s no quest where you fall in love with a Virtua Fighter opponent. None of the side games are as good as the hostess club in Yakuza 0. None of the side quests hit the heights of Yakuza 0, except for maybe the Onomichi (sp) ones. The New Japan Pro-Wrestling boys were all cool but I had to play the worst fucking minigame to interact with them and that bummed me the fuck out. It would have been way cooler if they just joined my baseball team, or hung out at Cheers. Cheers was really good and taught me a lot about how to socialize in real life but I don’t have enough money to actually go do that in real life. I also failed to unlock Cheers until the penultimate chapter so every time I went in that joint I was dressed like I just came from a funeral. I couldn’t find a single ghost. The combat didn’t feel as good but I appreciate that it was all so easy and over so quickly but even then I wondered why bother leveling anything up cuz everything is already so easy. And and and…game is good.*

**I thought this minigame was a cash grab and they sold levels for real deal yencoins on PSN but someone told me that isn’t actually the case? So that really left me cheesed off. Why would you make a game so lame if it wasn’t gonna milk some rubes?

3 Likes

I liked that Kiryu’s moveset in this smushed together parts of 0/Kiwami and that fights were over pretty quickly. Also liked clan creator for meeting my badly defined characteristics of an RTS but it is probably more of a chore to get through other than when you need quick cash. The new engine and the seamless in-game transitions between buildings that it allowed for made me think that they pulled off what Shenmue tried to do but better.

I’m an embarrassing person who completed the whole minigame checklist, which requires you to play the fishing game a stupid amount, and decided that while it isn’t the home port of The Ocean Hunter I wanted I guess it’s kind of the best we can get to it.

4 Likes
3 Likes

The ship battle in Kiwami is killing me and i have a nicely leveled Kazuma. I refuse to switch to easy.