DO U WANNA LIKE MY DRAGON?

Man, slot car racing is fun though.

1 Like

You just get photos of food and drinks ordered from restaurants but the bars have fully rendered models of real liquor and paragraphs of text about the history of each drink.

This showed up last night in a big cardboard box that said, “Business Launch Edition”.

It had a business card holder with very thick, very premium business cards for my Yakuza boys. The holders was of a restrained shape excepting the massive dragon design plastered over it.

It’s a very cute piece of pretend for a game about mafia pretension.

pics later

Yeah, the cards are pretty great. This game is great.

This outfit. I wish I could play more of the game while wearing it.

TAUNT THE DISHES

I wish they’d shipped slightly higher resolution textures or done an additional AF pass; this acquits itself really well of being a PS3 game except for the handful of times it doesn’t (and it appears to have a handful of prerendered cutscenes that just barely weren’t done in-engine in realtime like the last of us did). 60fps is nice though.

like any yakuza, you’re flashy on the outside

but you still want to be presentable to your momma

sometimes, though, you just gotta work the street to bring in the crowds

6 Likes

I don’t buy physical copies of games, but i wish I got that set.

1 Like

Minor spoilers on the Kiryu card, oddly, but not really a big deal because really.

The Rush-style training missions are abjectly terrible, entirely because of the crowd. I can’t dodge the one-hit knockdown move if I can’t goddamn see it, dudes. Why did you make the crowd opaque?

I did the first one just by blocking the whole time. I have not done any of the others yet.

True story, I totally forgot blocking was a thing in these games.

yeah I didn’t remember I could block until after the first boss

playing this and gravity rush 2 reminds me that non-From/Platinum japanese game combat is still kind of borderline at times but I think yakuza’s combat is generally just good enough to not be a huge weakness in a fairly combat-centric game, sort of like the new shadowruns

Part of what makes the Yakuza combat work is the reward for doing it is that you look like a badass, which is actually what makes Platinum combat work at its best as well.

Dammit Felix, we made it like 30 posts in before a Souls reference.

2 Likes

if anyone asks I was referring to armored core

1 Like

It may have always been JP-jank but the heat actions are the best. At a QTE prompt I can slam a car door shut on a guy’s head or break his tailbone on a bicycle rack.

1 Like

I don’t know, I’d take 'generic Japanese beat ‘em up’ which follows early-PS2 rules over Assassin’s/Arkham-style 'cinematic beat ‘em up’ any day.

Right now, Yakuza feels like it has an inconsistent mix of attacks I can cancel out of versus those I can’t, and inconsistent input windows. Doing the rush dodge especially is harder than it should be because chances are I’m still in the second of recovery after a combo when I want to do it.

In the past six months (working on AAA combat) I’ve come to believe that consistency is super-duper important in these things; as important as your basic system. Slow heavy systems like Monster Hunter and Dark Souls are fine because when you can cancel and when you can’t are so rigidly enforced that it doesn’t feel upsetting, once you learn the systems.

2 Likes

Is this a good game to get into the Yakuza series with no experience? I really don’t feel like tracking down 5 other games at this point

oh yeah to be clear I feel this school of game design is irretrievably shit and not worth mentioning

yes!

1 Like

I’m sorry but as I keep living in my house of feces I keep bringing it up

1 Like

select button