DO U WANNA LIKE MY DRAGON?

Infinite wealth battle system post

Post Yakuza 7 I thought « uh I hope they made battles at least a little bit more complex » and they didn’t, on purpose

I realize they’re going for the least inconvenient flashiest system, which also explains the switch from action to RPG. It’s even easier to beat two lvl 9 guys in an RPG than to beat two easy guys in an action game

There’s nearly no strategy even during difficult battles, it’s all about hitting enemies with whatever you got and healing at low HP.
All the characters have fairly similar stats and there’s very little long term planning with the jobs either. Try to get elemental coverage? Aim for a big healing spell? It’s pretty telling that the jobs are less « time mage » « black mage » « knight » etc and more « the fire one » « the water one » etc and each job gets a bunch of skills that all are basically the same (but look fabulous)

Battles are still entertaining but more in a Pachinko machine sort of way. Whenever you launch an attack you’re never really sure what’s going to happen :

• Is the AoE going to hit multiple targets, and which
  • are enemies going to hit each other like bowling pins for extra damage
  • is one of my allies going to hit the enemy
  • (different) is the co-op attack going to trigger
  • is the low % status effect going to hit
  • are we fast enough to hit the enemy while it’s down for the extra damage
  • is one of my allies going to get a free hit while the enemy is down

It keeps you not-bored and delivers dopamine but the effect is always immediate, you never plan ahead during a battle, anything beyond this current turn might as well not exist.

Really if they got the Atlus guys working on the battle system this would immediately be one of my favorite games ever but I feel a bit too much like a grandpa at the pachinko right now

9 Likes