DO U WANNA LIKE MY DRAGON?

I finished the game. I’m dabbling in Premium Adventure a bit which is a nice change of pace. I liked the very end.

Man, I totally teared up at Majima Goro’s ending. Like that final scene with him and Makoto is some sad shit, especially knowing how he ends up after all this.

I’m glad the post credits thing happened though.

This game is so good.

3 Likes

Playing as Goro in premium with his leather jacket and stuff is pretty awesome. Did you check out some of those crazy costumes they have. I love how the game is serious but Sega is also tongue in cheek about the whole thing. At some point I have to go finish 5.

1 Like

Yeah, that they have the costumes from the karaoke vids is the BEST. Also that they can cosplay as each other.

These games do balance humor and seriousness in the best ways.

I just finished the game tonight and came in here to say this too. I was looking forward to seeing them being together the whole length of the game, and all I really got was that takoyaki date in chapter 16.

Otherwise, I loved this as my intro to the series. Kiwami’s sitting on my shelf waiting for me, but I gotta play something else for a while so I don’t burn out on it.

Just finished this a few nights ago too, I enjoyed it enough that poor Nioh has been neglected in favour of it.

The final chapter plus ending was much longer than I expected, I got a bit anxious since it was after 2am and it was starting to get a bit tight with all the gun wielding guys at the end of corridors shooting me while big guys stopped me getting to them. Last boss was pretty difficult too.

I find it funny how they establish the protagonists getting their signature outfits, which assumes their fashion sense just completely stopped in 1988.

Now I want to complete the businesses and side stories. Probably the only game where the side stories are interesting enough for me to want to complete them

1 Like

Well, to be fair, Kiryu wears that same suit for like the next literally 20 years of game, and Majima is not much better. As I recall, there are even a few minor comments about Kiryu’s suit in the first game being a little outdated, but that only makes him.more stubborn to keep rocking it.

Also that takoyaki date near the end is just the saddest sweet little moment, looking back. I love these games for being goofy as all hell, but being able to pull that off.

They are used pretty sparingly but well imo, in Big Plot Twist Flashback scenes and the intro/credits. They are new(er) songs and I thought they all dated back to the 80s but it must have been the keyboards he used. In localization, Sega replaces licensed songs with the game OST but I think it would sting a bit if they had to do the same for Y6’s case.

Really? That kinda sucks. The music in this game was a bit forgettable for me, I was really hoping for some good 80s Japanese classics

For Yakuza 0 it was modern J-rock

but they did put out an “80s hits” CD around the Japanese release that you could play in game through awkward DLC key stuff.

Without even clicking on that, it is already being recommended to me on YouTube, wth

Spoilers Google is watching you

1 Like

Finally finished this. Best Yakuza (localized) to date, I think.

Final boss battle was incredibly cathartic, really outdid themselves on this one. The transition from 2nd phase to 3rd phase was simply incredible.

The post-credits scene was beautiful too. And damn what a fan treat did they deliver in the last 10 seconds.

Yakuza 0 > 2 > 1 > 3 > 4 > 5

1 Like

4 Likes

So having finished Kiwami recently, I found out that a Yakuza movie directed by Takashi Miike came out around 10 years ago.

I just watched it now and I think I liked it but. … geez is it a super weirdly structured movie.

It seems to distill the essence of the game down into a sort of “One crazy night in Kamurocho” sort of deal. It kind of follows a Cliff’s notes version of the plot, where it just dumps the viewer right into the middle of the story. Important characters from the game just sort of show up out of nowhere for one scene each at the end, and because of that Kiryu ends up feeling like a non-character.

It devotes a substantial portion of screentime to a bunch of extra sideplots that don’t really seem to go anywhere, but I guess they served the purpose of showing a bunch of places from the game?

Majima’s obsession with Kiryu also takes up a decent chunk of screentime and it is definitely the best part of the movie. Basically it ends up feeling more like Majima Everywhere: The Movie with Kiryu just trying to get on with the plot while Majima and a bunch of wacky sidestories keep distracting him.

Kiryu also drinks a Staminam Spark to recover his health + heat so that he can beat the final boss.

So a pretty good summary of the actual game then, I guess.

2 Likes

We watched this in Outerheaven and everyone lost their shit when this happened.

3 Likes

I just beat up my friend in a nursery cuz he tried to stop me from kidnapping my grandson so I think I’m officially a dad.

And between that and the cam girl minigame and all the pro-wrestlers that means Yakuza 6 is unofficially GOTY 2018.

2 Likes

My favorite part was Japanese Cheers.

All of 6 has been localized intact except the Tatsuro Yamashita songs (intro, credits, and some flashback scenes) which is understandable because Japanese music licensing is apparently pretty expensive and would probably mean none of these games would ever make it over, but it still stings.

Good golly, there’s a reference to the 1983 Obayashi version of The Girl Who Leapt Through Time in this

2 Likes