DO U WANNA LIKE MY DRAGON?

oh well. I stopped off at the Rush Style trainer on the way to kiryu’s last quest and got frustrated that I still couldn’t clear the third level ability test, and then I finished kiryu’s last chapter (unless they pull some exciting stuff at the end!!!) without any trouble. so as much as I adore this game it’s safe to say that I have absolutely no need to see all the content.

mind you I haven’t passed up a single substory that I’ve come across and they’ve all been great

I finished this! I think the storytelling loses a tiny bit of steam toward the end as there stop being as many cute substories interjected to break up the main plot, and the dialogue starts repeating itself a little bit as different characters need to be caught up on the exposition (which is something it had effectively avoided up to then with everyone appearing to know everything every time you encounter them, so it’s an odd shift). the end wasn’t quite as climactic as I’d hoped, either – I’d forgotten that they were obliged to walk the line of a satisfying prequel, and having not played any of the other games, some of the reveals at the end were lost on me. plus the combat does finally tap itself out on some of the huge group fights in the final chapters.

having said all that, I had a great time with it; the characterization is just terrific throughout and it’s a really gratifying soap opera with tons of toys, none of them cloying. it’s interesting how nagoshi turned out to have such continued, relatively unblemished influence after amusement vision, when a lot of other stars of that generation sort of flamed out.

1 Like

I just bought this yesterday, because both this and Nioh seem oddly difficult to find in shops at the moment, and I figured this game is more likely to become scarce later on. It was the last copy in the only place I could see stocking it too

doin’ data entry listenin to old Pertubator

got to the sample that starts off this track:

thinking about cackling madly to this line with my wife

waitaminnit

this is how we laugh at Yakuza

BEST IDEA:

Grindhouse revenge movie game done in Yakuza style

• pursue vengeance with blazing eyes!
  • throw out AMAZING ONE-LINERS
  • goofy sidequests, wealth of '80s, '70s movie references, play against the SPIRIT OF VENGEANCE because you are SO IMPATIENT

downsides:
if po-faced, is Dirty Harry. throw it away

IMPORTANT NOTE:
plot does not need to hinge on rape

Far as I know, the beat 'em up game genre is entirely based on '80s movies. The Warriors is maybe the only one to go earlier?

Yakuza 6 runs on a shiny new engine and along with combat, UI, etc. lot of the minigames recycled since the last big engine change in Yakuza 3 were dropped or had major revamps. I feel obligated to mention that the fishing game this time around is a rail shooter (not The Ocean Hunter sequel I wanted but more than I expected for something like this) and it’s pretty good but short and grindy (I felt the need to level up to increase the health bar because bosses throw out way too many projectiles to shoot without taking hits).

They also squeezed in an RTS minigame where you fight gangs. There are additional online missions to play (all still single player)cycling through on a weekly basis I think, as well as paid DLC adding Majima, Saejima, (Daigo) Dojima and Date. For what it is they are limited but more robust than previous minigames.

In the Club Sega areas they also threw arcade modes of Puyo Puyo and VF5 Final Showdown in as well as the same set of games from Zero.

Damn Yakuza 6 looks pretty awesome. I think I’m nearing the end of Zero so I can then focus on not being stuck in Nioh.

now that i have a ps4 again, i was either gonna get 0 or Nioh and now i think this thread has made the choice for me

Damn, I am like 45 hours into this, and I got sidetracked by slot car races for a bit.

Then I beat the shit out of a lot of dudes.

I love you, Yakuza.

2 Likes

I just got the cabaret minigame and it is taking up all my time.

The cabaret club minigame is very good and that first hostess you have to train is adorable and I want to marry her.

I saved up a bunch of CP to get extra hostesses right away but the first hostess is my number one choice every time

The running story of Goro being like the Older Brother Asshole to her is pretty great.

I have 3/5ths of the districts in both Cabaret and Real Estate done so far. This shit is wonderful.

1 Like

You gotta rest those hostesses once and a while or they get burned out. This game could be called when Kazuma met Gojiro though I don’t know if that’s true yet.

Y’all, do the full real estate and cabaret club. It unlocks SECRET HOT FIGHTMAN STYLEZ. And at least the Majima one is legit worth it though I will let you know on the Kiryu one once I get back to it.

Oh, for anyone interested, I did a quick write-up on the series over the weekend for another game community I am a part of, which is here so enjoy that if you want? I might add more detail it later, but I was trying to avoid spoiling the games.

3 Likes

Yakuza 5 and onwards are on a new engine iirc.

1 Like

Ah, shit, I looked this up, and 5 and 0 are actually a new engine, and 6 is also a new engine.

Because Sega are good at spending money, I guess.

Thanks for the heads up.

Oh yeah, Ishin also runs on the Y5 engine. Read somewhere that Dead Souls/“Of The End” was supposed to mark the “end” of, and in a way celebrate, the Yakuza studio’s use of the Y3 engine.

1 Like

Good catch.

Still wish that they had just called it OF THE END here, because that was just the best title.

For non-Japanese-speaking SB Yakuza nerds interested in the Japan-only games KHHsubs is working on or is more or less finished with translated video walkthroughs for Kenzan and Ishin (incomplete), and a patch for the first Kurohyo game (on hiatus I think).

2 Likes

Interesting to me: Tatsuro Yamashita composed the theme song to Yakuza 6 and it has other stuff by him throughout.

I have never played any of these games.

1 Like