DO U WANNA LIKE MY DRAGON?

I just got the real estate/territory minigame for Kiryu in chapter 6. These shallow minigames in stuff like Assassins Creed and GTA San Andreas are my weakness and I am so happy that this game has them as well.

GOAT non-human real estate manager

2 Likes

I want a whole Goro Majima game where he dance fights and slugger fights his way to the top of the Yakuza food chain. What’s nice is when you switch back in chapters there is a wonderful recap in case you forgot. I’m happy to play RE7 when it is on sale. This game will carry me through to Nioh’s arrival. I still haven’t gotten to disco dance yet.

1 Like

I’m really bad at Outrun and this is making the fight with electronics king really annoying

just switched back to kiryu from majima for the first time and still really enjoying this a lot. the depth of field looking down a lot of the long shopping arcades is extremely effective.

Did way better and beat the outrun based fight. Continued leveling up that friendship so now the arcade has super hang on. I did pretty badly on the beginner course but I am top 50 in the region, which I can’t tell if it is Canada, Ontario or Canada and America combined. I then switched over to the next chapter.

Once you get the real estate minigame, you are drowning in money.

this game is very long (I’m just under halfway through the main story at like 14 hours) but largely earns it. Structurally it’s just that little bit more like a jRPG (random battles!) than an open world game or brawler, but it goes really fast and the world is a lot of fun to run around. Best dragon quest I’ve played in years.

I was hoping to finish it before Nioh arrived and sadly I have no idea how far along I am. I do know is I go to play it for half an hour and suddenly that turns into two very quickly. Real Estate sure seems to be an easier hustle than Cabaret Clubs.

I am like 30 hours in and nowhere near halfway done. I am hustling the heck out of real estate and almost got my first area done in the Cabaret Club, which is pretty enjoyable.

Also, some of the trophies in this game have made me smile (…Best Served Cold? being the most recent) and yeah, this is just good times.

Yeah, this is one of the reasons I think the series didn’t take off originally. The games were always JRPGs through and through but due to the presentation most people assumed they were trying to be open-world games like GTA and failing.

i love hanging out and sidequestin’ in these games but the main stories always feel very dry & make me want to put a kitano film on instead or something

that’s a pretty common criticism but they actually hold my attention reasonably well. they’re soapy but they’re awfully likable and they’re pretty good about introducing new characters and plotlines as often as they can get away with. how far are you?

yeah I just got Majima and things sure picked up

1 Like

one of the reviews I read mentioned that the main plotline and combat are actually much improved relative to the sidequests this time around which was a significant factor in convincing me to get it after ignoring the series (while pining after nagoshi’s earlier work) all this time

Actually finished it. I’m not gonna try and get platinum, though. Fuck mah-jong.

How long did it take? I want to get deep into Nioh and I have both fighting for my attention.

I did it

I got the damn chicken

now on chapter 11 / 16 after ~20 hours

it has been well worth it, the main story forces you to engage with the many(, many) subsystems just enough that you can decide how much you like them

the writing and characterisation are consistently great, it’s got good pulpy twists & every single character is very likable & it unapologetically, competently milks all of the big plot beats for maximum catharsis the way that all good schlock does

one of the NPCs that helps you out is a couple that runs a chinese food restaurant but has a weapon crafting/hunting business on the side and until you level them up the first “hunt” they can go on is to a sporting goods shop which I’m pretty sure is a barkley reference

the combat isn’t really worth turning up to hard as much as I sometimes wish it was and the third-tier NPCs all have like deus ex grade faces that really could’ve used better models for the PS4 release but the overall hangoutitude of this is very high. even though the framing is still much more jRPG than open world game it reminds me of my favourite parts of red dead and saints row

beginning to think I was meant to have done all the side questing in the middle of the game because the end is too urgent

I didn’t ignore it by any means but I have like 30% of the various ability trees unlocked at most

Yeah, dude, I am at like 30 hours in chapter 5 or 6, so you sure motored on through. My usual pattern with these games is play as much of the side/mini games as I can and once I get bored with them, plow through the main line.