DO U WANNA LIKE MY DRAGON?

Question: could the series sustain goofy side quests without a serious-to-the-point-of-boring main story?

To rephrase, is the world and main narrative itself the straight main that it plays off?

Way of the Samurai turned full-goofy, much to its detriment. Grand Theft Auto and other Rockstar games – well, they’re suffused in hatefulness so it’s never fun, but notably the three-character method of GTAV let them contrast their style methods to their benefit. I doubt anyone could stand Trevor as a sole protagonist of an 80-hour game but being able to go to the nihilist that actually makes the world make sense is so refreshing.

1 Like

this is the only PS4 game I’ve seen with tearing but I doubt that’ll get patched as it’s over a year old in Japan :frowning:

Yeah, it’s a bummer.

I started seeing shakycam zooms once I got to Osaka…and then they started infecting normal cutscenes (almost like a NaN was spreading around). Restarting the application seems to have fixed it being wrongly applied but it’s strange to see a camera move that nobody bothered to use in the first 8 hours of the game.

Wait till you see his third style, Breaker.

I’m trying to remember a recent game I played that also had an occasional out-of-context shakycam bug, might have been witcher 3??

ugh it’s the worst; you start to distrust all cutscene direction

I assumed it was something similar to what happened with bloodborne where there were memory leaks that would only manifest themselves after 10+ hours (in that case I think it broke some of the boss AI?) which were never an issue before the PS4 added suspend/resume (although that shipped the same week as bloodborne, the same week I bought my PS4, so “before” is relative)

such a wonderful feature though

between that, remote play to PCs, and the HDR, they’ve actually done a really really good job of adding desirable features to the PS4 itself since release, I wonder if anything remains

Best place to look: what do people do with PC games easily?

Mods are one, thankfully Microsoft has teamed up with Bethesda to pressure them here. Increased sharing/streaming options would be nice.

Refunds would be big. Adding long-tail-oriented store curation is very important. In general, I find the store horrendous to navigate, and the individual game pages often have terrible short info blurbs and little media content. I almost always buy from the webpage instead.

refunds would be really really nice

I’ve probably only dropped $200 that I regret max on PS4 stuff over the past two years but that’s compared to $0 on PC since steam implemented refunds

except on your game, I couldn’t get a refund on that when it started crashing due to a unity segault bug with 360 controllers under linux because I was over two hours at that point so I just double-bought it on PS4 and decided it was a pretty good cause to support

I don’t think other storefronts are in a hurry to follow steam without legal action though because (at least for customers with my purchasing behaviour) it’s potentially a huuuuge revenue loss

that’s how you get’em

sorry the garbage collection hitch never got fixed on PS4

1 Like

one of your colleagues actually followed up with me via email and said he’d take care of it then never did! me, who bought skulls of the shogun on windows phone for chrissakes!

anyway just give me a free key for whatever they do next and I’ll call us even

2 Likes

Zach was doing great then everyone moved to Japan and the team basically didn’t work for 3 months…

Hopefully the GungHo contracts gets them stable; it’s mobile port time now and the to-be-next game has had its thunder stolen so I’ll have to see if that’s still the plan.

yeah I vaguely got that impression from the one time I googled to see if act 5 was coming out, not sure what was supposed to have happened and didn’t

the classic 17-BIT community-building blunder: overpromise, and then over-deliver late after everyone’s already mad. Happened on Skulls and Galak-Z.

Like many game studios they are not really run as a business

aha. well, so far they’ve released two A— games (really strong engine fundamentals & production values but a couple of serious structural flaws that jeopardize the whole thing) so as far as I’m concerned they’ll always be worth paying attention to

And it’s well-explained by how the studio works:

• Play the game obsessively
  • Prioritize making changes to current gameplay over implementing long-term plan
  • Repeat for 2+ years

I’m extremely long-term oriented but I could barely get any iteration on the long-term of Galak-Z, especially with;;; well, anything that’s only planned is subject to radical change as it gets influenced by playtests (last speaker == most influential).

It’s not an uncommon pattern and I’m not bitter (I love them all dearly) but the structure of the studio just ain’t gonna change

out of curiosity how much do y’all think you’ve gotten back in steam refunds? it’s got to be like $400-500 for me, I’ll buy pretty much anything I have a passing interest in now but probably only like 20-25% of them are something I want to play beyond the first hour

It’s only about $60 for me, but you specifically inspired me to do that 60 so there will probably be more.

it’s far from the worst house style, you could be double fine

1 Like

Back to that Hot Yakuza Talk:

So in an earlier mission, Majima saw this dude doing his thing in the background at a rival hostess bar:

…and later you run into this dude and his name?

WALKING ERECTION

Some other great shit has happened so far. Majima got involved in a fight over the validity of income taxes, and maybe set future Japanese tax policy over drinks after rescuing a dude from getting his ass kicked. Majima broke up a damn cult. Majima beat the crap out a kid who steals pants, after he threatened to steal Majima’s pants.

Majima busted out some classic MJ dance moves, and later learned to breakdance:

This game makes me giggle every time I play it.

3 Likes