DO U WANNA LIKE MY DRAGON?

Buy Yakuza Six now. It’s gonna get pulled.

I’d struggle to guess which organization they mean without that link being posted itt

The Japanese isn’t much clearer. Hucksters? Fradulent organization?

yakuza parties?

Black and White In Memorium.

1 Like

Are white nerds ever gonna have a reckoning with Japan’s hugely reactionary government, or

Nevermind I just answered my own question

3 Likes

I like the Yakuza games, but there’s a lot of racist stereotypes here. And a lot more stuff that I don’t recognize as racist stereotypes directly, but it’s definitely racism shaped.

1 Like

I mean yes but it is surprising how thoughtful and considerate it is of immigrants (legal and illegal) when it is about the yakuza.

1 Like

checked the new yakuza stuff, seems very interesting. playing the demo for yakuza 0 on my ps3, like, two years ago (?) for many many hours was a great time for a lot of reasons. still need to actually finish any of those games though :frowning:

(there was a good conversation about jrpg / turn-based elements for yak7 on another thread already)

anyway these bread physics are craaaazy

4 Likes

always good to see someone allowed to spend a month doing something unjustifiable, that’s the magic people remember

4 Likes

hello i was looking for a general yakuza thread and this seems to be the best one

i have been playing through the yakuza series as of late and i am absolutely endeared. i have played thru 0 - yakuza 3 as of late and here are my impressions so far:

yakuza 0 - absolutely amazing. wonderful story, wonderful characterization, excellent sub-plots and minigames

yakuza kiwami 1 - this one went by kinda fast but i was happy to meet haruka and settle things with an old friend that i remembered from yakuza 0

yakuza kiwami 2 - i spent a long time on this one because i loved the cabaret club and darts and virtual on and virtua fighter 2 and just had a really good time with the story and trying to do all these ridiculous things haruka wanted me to do.

yakuza 3 - this one is good but the systems and writing felt a bit off for me. it was also very jarring to go to this after kiwami 2, which has a completely different engine. the ending was good, the characters were good, it just wasn’t working for me overall.

at the moment i’m playing yakuza 4 and i’m liking it a lot more. i’m taking a bit more time with it. it feels good to play as a different character than kiryu considering i think at this point they had kind of done a lot of what they wanted to do with kiryu.

6 Likes

the more i play of these games the more i feel like i should develop my own unique fighting style to help friends and innocent people in need so as to solve problems the only way i know how… with my fists

9 Likes

Yakuza 5 must have had at least a few devs from the Amusement Vision era on the team because this substory plays like a lategame Monkey Ball level where you have to gently nudge the analog stick to get across the ice without dropping the ramen.

It is probably my favorite Yakuza because it is the most fully developed system-wise before they moved to the current engine and stuffed with a ton of side content, like a (sssort of) tower defense game that seems to exist in the same world as Boxcelios

…but I should recommend skipping a good chunk of the story, which drags on too long especially during Saejima’s part but I think is worth sticking through to see Haruka (dance battles and working publicity events as a pop idol rather than standard yakuza fighting) and Shinada’s parts.
And you get to do a manzai comedy routine.

Actually to be honest the game is probably too bloated to recommend to anyone who hasn’t had enough of the series by now and doesn’t have a weird affinity for the minigames because they seem to inherit the feel of later Model 2/3/Naomi Sega arcade games. I guess it’s for me.
3 Likes

Wish they would make a Haruka spin off.

Also if I remember the taxi racing has some decent drifting and Outrun and Daytona songs.

3 Likes

Yeah, the racing even felt a bit like Daytona at some points. It was a missed opportunity that the passenger pickup segments didn’t borrow from Crazy Taxi but I’m not remembering another game with cars in it that pushed correct turn signal usage.

2 Likes

This is such a Kiryu detail. He will beat the fuck out of people, but you better fucking signal those turns.

3 Likes

Early in Kiryu’s part he breaks Unwritten Taxi Rules by cutting in line to pick up an important character. You earnestly apologize to a rival taxi company’s CEO by giving them a gift. If you give something cheap from a convenience store you get a Toughness Light. If you give them a premium salmon roe gift box you get a Staminan Spark.

4 Likes

i’m in yakuza 5 now and yeah, i love the taxi stuff. i’m excited to play as haruka, and i’ve definitely heard a lot about how long 5 is.

i love the japanese intro song but i’m just as happy with the “can’t use it cuz of copyright” version’s. uplifting good shit

anyway kiryu is breaking my heart in this one so far. i just want him to be happy

1 Like

it is longer than you are prepared for

particularly if you go bear hunting

Yeah the other stories are all at least different 10 hour games.