Devsporation

Fuck, I can relate.

The high art/pop culture divide in as many words, she’d have the same words for anyone forced to sell their work to a mass audience, and probably has the same blindness to the vital margins Radiator tinkers in as she would for film, comics,

3 Likes

I feel like spite is underrated as a working ethos, tbh.

8 Likes

some people really don’t like carrying around what they see as negative emotions and I’m convinced they’re worse for it

1 Like

Negative emotions can absolutely be useful, i think the problem is that people are not often raised/socialized to have a healthy relationship with their emotions.

I have made a lot of art out of spite, and I have paid for it.

Rage is good yes, spite I consider a wholly worthless emotion

Maybe in life! I think spite is a better emotion for art since it’s inherently kind of ambivalent, both attached to and trying to separate itself from some concrete external universe that to some extent it rejects but necessarily takes most of its own form and character from, much like… art…

for me korn or something is rageful music and as ultimately monotonous as that implies whereas ‘forming’ by the germs or whatever is spiteful in that it’s animated by a perversity that’s not really tied to any one distinct object of opposition or affirmation - which is what makes it sound weird, unsettled, curious, exciting, more interesting as a work if not a sentiment, if it even has one.

i think there’s a basic and inherent strangeness in the act of piling together idiot heaps of material, or the desire to pile together idiot heaps of material, which precedes whatever you’re actually trying to express with the heap. spite can be a way of acknowledging that ultimate groundlessness without falling into either total resignation or just the sort of total doctor pangloss boosterism where you feel like doing something and then just cast around for reasons why that desire is in fact objectively good, worthy and correct.

5 Likes

this is the least fun take I’ve ever heard

I’ll make something good out of spite to spite this opinion

10 Likes

As long as it’s pointing up, spite owns

2 Likes

indignation and anything born of it is fundamentally hilarious

you’re gonna call these worthless? I don’t want to live in that world

6 Likes

Yeah, man, so much good art has been borne out of spiting other artists/artistic trends, I think.

seem important that this seems to be a near entirely american phenomenon

1 Like

i’ve definitely seen buildings in the uk that look like they could be spite houses, but i have no idea if they were. it’s possible they were just the result of people building houses in any available space over hundreds of years

spite is one of the few parts of my heritage as an italian american which I am in touch with and proud of

2 Likes

6 Likes