i got brown noted by the destiny loading screen when i had e coli

I still haven’t preordered this thing. I think my overall game clock for D2 in Year One has been around 35-40 hours, which is pretty shocking given how D1 took over my life for three years. I’m hopeful that it will be good, but I don’t think I want to buy into it sight unseen after how Year One turn out so I’m probably going to watch Datto’s stream for a few days after launch and decide if I’m getting it then.

(edit: oh actually I might not even have the storage for it anyway lmao)

I’ve been playing Destiny Classic with my partner who started with D2.

• The music is just plain better across the board. They lost Marty’s knack for vamping percussion.
  • It’s amazing how well they’ve made the story fit together in hindsight, especially with Warmind naming the Exo Stranger.
  • I am amazed that I recognize 80% of the goofy lore names.
  • I’d like it if we saw a return to a more spoke-style quest structure with several stories around the different corners instead of tying the destination-specific stories around the main quest. In D2 I wanted more oomph to Titan, Io, and Nessus.
  • Strikes are fucking hard! Normal strikes! At or above the recommended LL!
  • D2 is much better at signalling what to do and when - the mix of the director and quest log is annoying to deal with, especially when you have to go to orbit to check out the director.
  • The miserly loot is a bit of a drag, but I think the happy medium is somewhere in between TTK and D2. I like exotics tied to quests because that makes them feel more special/memorable than just getting a drop, no matter how rare, but I know the actual rarity is important for some - maybe non-eververse ornaments can split the difference.
  • The tower/city/vanguard in general is much more nuanced in D1. There’s some hints that the Red Legion brought out reactionary militarism and snuffed out the more equivocal aspects of city leadership. Ain’t no one drinking coffee and chilling in the D2 tower.
  • The Dreadnaught is still the high water mark for destinations - it pulls out disorienting alien architecture, “hidey holes,” Metroid/Zelda-style scanning and secrets.
  • The EDZ and Cosmodrone are obviously siblings on comparison, and I’d like to see more real caves in the others. Venus’s FFXIII-ass copy/paste alcoves that have a 20% chance of a chest are a fucking waste of time.
  • There are so few chests! In D2 everything gives you a chest. It’s an interesting psychological difference.

House of Wolves is still my favorite piece of the world and story, so I am very excited for Forsaken.

2 Likes

this is the first time i’ve been totally unenthused about a major destiny release, i don’t know how much of that is down to clashing with dragon quest

i actually liked vanilla! (and the second wind it had with the pc release, usable hand cannons and an utterly terrible playerbase to stomp in trials were a fun novelty) but the expansions didn’t do much for me & nothing has compelled me to log in quite like vault of glass or the last word meta did even at the lowest points of d1

2 Likes

if you’re struggling with d1 use a primary with firefly & gjallarhorn, get into the habit of using gjallar or your super on anything threatening, generate orbs whenever possible, buff yourself with wol, debuff bosses with tether

kinda want to run vault now

2 Likes

i’m fuckin hype for forsaken and i hope any y’all still on ps4 pick it up, i need to fill out my raid crew

this shared release date with dqxi is a significant problem for me too though

1 Like

I haven’t been following D2 at all but I want to be sold on Foresaken if anyone wants to sell me on it (as a person with very little time and very little expendable income). I want to find something to sink time into, for my own mental health, but I think I first need to find sinkable time…

2 Likes

4 Likes

I play it just for the combat loop and campaign, such as it is, and so I’ll wait for all the Forsaken content to have dropped before I give it a look. I drop these games the moment I’m done with the story stuff, the grind doesn’t appeal to me even though the PvP was solid from what I played.

2 was definitely superior to the first game in both respects.

1 Like

10 Likes

as with taken king they’re bringing all of the sandbox changes live a week early so that’s probably worth a look tomorrow

1 Like

it looks sick as hell and also i miss you

also @Dracko if you ever wanna raid with us i promise you’ll have a good time~

1 Like

those are both good answers. miss you too <3

1 Like

Yeah, it is going to be hard not to get sucked back into d2 times with you all, and maybe actually get to do raid lairs at some point.

So much games to play lately.

1 Like

I miss everybody but I’m pretty much of one mind with Sakurina right now on this. I’ll probably end up getting it? but honestly can’t draw up the enthusiasm to play it day 1.

I did check my play times on wasted on destiny and… I had 800+ hours for d1, and about 70 for d2.

Maybe it’s the fact that half of the guns sound like staplers, the shooting doesn’t feel as rich and smooth, or the locations, but I haven’t stuck to d2 at all.

I miss killing time doing patrols on the moon. Maybe my life was just at a different place in d1? Glad to have had y’all there.

1 Like

hey, your guardian talks again in forsaken!

anyway i ordered dragon quest 11 today

1 Like

D:

redrix is now like the og mythoclast, tempting me to reinstall lol

you know it’s destiny when people are complaining about the meta a couple of hours in

1 Like

i was trying to write a more substantial reply to this but… yeah, same
destiny with the sb clan was some Good Times, a shame they split the playerbase really

1 Like

If you had a fusion rifle equipped before the patch, your heavy slot became empty post-patch and I foolishly re-equipped a weapon to the slot without thinking

I could have been a two-slot only Guardian!

It actually put a weapon into the slot for me when I transferred a weapon from the vault.

I wish I had kept more weapons because I don’t really have anything interesting for my kinetic slot aside from the three guns that were already there.