i got brown noted by the destiny loading screen when i had e coli

May 29th patch is going to have Crucible Labs, which is “access to experimental Crucible content” whatever that means. Very curious if Bungie has found a console-friendly way to have a separate test realm for upcoming balance changes?

Hopefully it’s hockey played with relic weapons

1 Like

where’s the patch to let us opt-out of playing supremacy

1 Like

It’s funny because I despise that game mode and yet I think I’ve won every round of Supremacy I’ve played since D2 launch

i did find myself asking today, for the first time in a while, “wonder what xur’s selling…”

turns out it was suros. this elicited two reactions: “cool.” and then, “…really?”

on one hand i feel like gating progression so everyone hasn’t done the new stuff a week in is good but in practice having to do the stale old raids repeatedly for several resets before the number is high enough to finish the new one is burning me out just as quickly

leaving the player underleveled for heroic strikes by the campaign’s end seems like a mistake.

anyway, been playing this! and having some feelings. the level design feels really exceptionally bad here. I don’t know if it’s because this is my nth time running through similar corridors, but it really struck me this campaign that destiny has a design problem as much as it has a loot problem (or whatever youtubers are shouting about these days). I remember a real sense of awe and possibility in destiny 1, but in d2 there is zero reward for going off the beaten path. any time you think you’re going somewhere interesting on the Mars map you end up in a monster closet beside a darkened spawn wall.

I think the cycle they’re doing with dlc isn’t working, or isn’t fast enough, or the content isn’t good enough. seems like the game has become a pastiche of its past elements, a bad collage where the magic of its original materials is lost further with each new person taking up the scissors.

I enjoyed shooting things though.

1 Like

yeah, i think that’s why i’ve been turning it on lately! but also why i turn it off after about an hour. it’s a bit sadenning that most of the things pulling me back into the game are callouts to d1 now. (oh? suros is back? sleeper is back? etc.)

that’s a very good point about the level design. all of these new maps feel much more like they’re built to corral you through a theme-park ride than exist as places. much like the rest of d2 everything has been streamlined in favor of readability sacrificing most of what made spaces interesting. the art assets are still pretty, though even the new mars area feels a bit bland. i still dream of adventures in the ruins of old mars skyscapers that never came to pass.

maybe i’ll just turn on d1 when the next craving comes. i could go for a ride about the cosmodrome. could be nostalgia/familiarity but none of the planets in d2 have yet to grab me in any of the ways d1 areas did. i spent hours patrolling the moon alone.

1 Like

yeah completely! I had a very brief flash of remembering why I loved destiny, when I was about to fast travel across half of the Mars map, but decided to sparrow across instead and it felt nice to exist in the destiny world for a lil while. but I completely agree with you. I was so happy to just run weekly errands in those D1 maps.

YO RASPUTIN IS DURANDAL AND IF YOU’RE A FAN OF MARATHON AT ALL DESTINY 2 IS FUCKING GOOD RIGHT NOW

also i fucking rip at pvp so if you play on ps4 and wanna hook up with a titan who will be rude to anyone they play against ITS ME ITS ME

hi selectbutton im sure you’ve had much deep discussion about this game but i have a hashtag about it on twitter thats probably deeper than any lore you could write

maybe i should post here instead of the bungie forums hahaha

4 Likes

SAME OLD NOSTALGIC NONSENSE glad to see you havent changed sb

Somehow reading this post made me realize the thread title was a verbal pun in addition to being a burn

1 Like

D1 expansions (the big exception being The Taken King since most of that takes place in the Dreadnought) built off of the world established in vanilla Destiny. There were pointless hallways you could stumble upon in vanilla Destiny that would suddenly have a payoff once an expansion rolled around, and that was really cool. The biggest payoff was Black Spindle because it involved exploring the intersection point between the new Moon areas added in House of Wolves and The Taken King during a given story mission, and it gave you a Year 2 power level exotic version of a beloved raid weapon that was too good as a legendary and had to be nerfed down. This is why the world felt real: it evolved along with the player.

The decision to split expansions off into their own planets means that they really aren’t meant to be as places that evolve with time, but like rye said, a one-and-done theme park ride. I don’t think anything has changed in the vanilla D2 environments, except for bug fixes, because there’s no reason to. IIRC, the only thing you do outside of Mars in Warmind is talk to Devrim Kay in the EDZ and then you’re out of there immediately.

I think Bungie is pouring all the time that would have gone into weird things on the map into Lost Sectors for D2. Lost Sectors are cool but I think Bungie is making them too obvious, which means you never really feel like you’re discovering them, but merely finding an entrance to them because:

• Planetary challenges often push you to discover a Lost Sector in a given area
  • For vanilla, all Lost Sectors are revealed on your map as soon as you unlock an area of a planet
  • For the expansions, all Lost Sectors are revealed on your map as soon as you beat the expansion campaign
  • At two occasions, you are forced through a lost sector to advance the campaign (once early in EDZ, once late in Warmind)

IMO just take them off the map entirely, don’t mention them or use them in-game anywhere, and let people discover them organically. That would make finding a lost sector far more rewarding than it is today. (also you could have put more than 1 on Mercury just saying)

4 Likes

Hi @daphaknee.

I think I completed all the story content this game has to offer and I kind of like the rhythm of the Crucible, which is similar’s to Halo’s. What else is there to do solo?

I might be down to mess about co-op though.

some of the ‘adventures’ on each planet lead to multi-part quests for exotic weapons if you haven’t done those yet and the strike playlists are three player co-op with automatic matchmaking if you’re solo

solo sucks, you have to play with pals

try getting the sweepy simulant though, its a fucking long range fusion rifle that bounces off of walls and has like, the highest DPS ever

ever

EVER

heroic strikes are borked right now, you have to grind forever to get to a high enough light level

iron banana is next week DRACKO (how do i tag people i just got here) and you can be on my fireteam if you want

i just noticed they’re 350, the fuck
that’s a higher requirement than all of the raid encounters besides the final boss of the new one

to tag someone just do @+username

@idiot oh they’re 350 now? thats a little nicer

escalation protocol is still 380 though